Put CPU in, massive FPS drop and computer crashes

Ber Paz

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
The other night I decided I'd see if my i7 would go into my new motherboard that already had a CPU in it. After taking the CPU out I noticed the i7 wouldn't fit (Note: I didn't even try put the i7 in). After noticing this, I put the other CPU back in (Intel Quad 2 Core Q6700) and put the fan back in (after a fair struggle getting the pins to pop into place). I turned on my computer and it turned on and was in the boot up menu and then crashed. I retried several times which came to the same conclusion. I then took the CPU out, put it back in as well as the fan and the computer then started and after choosing to do a repair check thing, it turned on normally, albeit a bit slower than usual. Dismissing this I booted up CSGO to see if it had affected the gameplay of that. The frame rate had dropped from about 200 to around 30 and below. Getting task manager up, it said about 60% of the CPU was being used. Note that I did not replace the thermal paste after taking the fan off. Shortly after closing Counter Strike, it crashed and just turned off. Turning it back on it crashed again after about 5 minutes. Please help, why is this happening? And why has my FPS dropped so dramatically? Thanks in advance.

PC Specs
- GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5900 Series
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700
- Motherboard: Asus P 5N-SLI
- RAM: 2x Corsair 2GB DDR2
- Storage: 1x 1TB HDD & 1x 600GB HDD

Edit: Please tell me if any information is needed, as well as if I should replace any parts.

Solution
Try HWMonitor, its free and will tell you cpu temp. 84c is extremely hot for the motherboard and I guess the source of the heat to be the CPU. It will crash quicker and quicker as it retains heat and takes less time to reach shutoff temp.

Actually just replace the thermal paste anyway, you could be pushing your luck keep using the system

Ber Paz

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014

I just tried two different programs, neither of them would show a temperature for the CPU. However it showed a temperature from the motherboard to be at 84 degrees celsius, dont know if this is much help but the computer keeps crashing quicker and quicker. I'll wait a little while and get a screenshot if it's needed?

Try HWMonitor, its free and will tell you cpu temp. 84c is extremely hot for the motherboard and I guess the source of the heat to be the CPU. It will crash quicker and quicker as it retains heat and takes less time to reach shutoff temp.

Actually just replace the thermal paste anyway, you could be pushing your luck keep using the system

Solution

Ber Paz

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014

Thats the first program I did use, and it didn't supply temperatures for the CPU. So all I should do is replace the thermal paste?