Put in a new graphics card, took it out and put my old one back in and it broke my PC

Steve5097

Reputable
Jun 11, 2017
Now I get stutters in ALL games I play, I don't know what happened but putting in the new card has affected my entire PC. If you want any more information I'll give it to you, I don't know how this site works anymore as its changed so much. This was a persistent issue I had in the past that somehow went away but after messing with the GPU its returned again and is making all of my games unplayable.

The card I put in was a GTX 1080ti and all games were stuttering with that too, checked the temps and it was running around 75 degrees in intensive situations which is 5 degrees cooler than my 1070 so no heat problems.

GTX1070 (was a 1080ti but I took it out because I thought it was causing issues)
i76700k
16gb RAM
250gb ssd, 2x 2TB HDD
Asus 144hz monitor + Asus 60hz monitor

Tried:
  • reinstalling GPU drivers
  • checking temps
  • disabling core parking (not sure if this is a good idea but I'm so desperate to fix this issue I did it anyway)
  • playing different games to see if it's game specific (it's not)
  • repairing some faulty drivers which were causing BSODs
  • restarting (obviously)

Last edited:

Steve5097

Reputable
Jun 11, 2017
The frame buffers aren't synced - and can't be synced - because of the different refresh rates.
Running the 60hz off of the cpu's iGPU is the quickest and cheapest solution.
How would I achieve that? Just take it out of the GPU and plug it in elsewhere? I'll give it a try.

Phaaze88

Glorious
Ambassador
Dual channel ram?

Running any 3rd party apps, like Corsair iCUE, Asus AI Suite, Driver Booster, and Msi Dragon Center?

Have you already tried reinstalling Windows?

Make and model of the power supply?

ASK THE COMMUNITY