Question Put my motherboard in my case on the carpet, is it a goner?

Aug 23, 2019
Okay, so forgive me for what I have done in advance but here's what I did: I put the motherboard on the carpet, then put it in the pc. I then forgot to put in standoffs, then turned it on. Is it a goner? I built it on the carpet too without a esd strap. For anyone wondering, it's a b450 tomahawk.

Take the motherboard off the case and make sure you see no short marks from the lack of standoffs. If you see nothing wrong physically, put standoffs on and try to boot it.

ESD related damage can happen, but I believe these cases are far overblown. I have built a pc on carpet and worked on it on a couch with no damage.

Well, check for obvious signs of shorts as suggested, both on the case and the motherboard.
After that, you just have to wait to get your processor to see if it works. Not that there is anything to learn from turning just a motherboard on with no processor.

Aug 22, 2019
well, it depends upon the fact that how did you handle it because normally ESD can't but since in your case you did it on carpet then it might be ESD killing your computer in case your if computer is not starting after putting back the standoffs.

Assuming you were planning on buying a graphics card with a Ryzen CPU without Igpu:

You could omit a graphics card and swap the CPU for a Ryzen 5 2400g which has integrated graphics capable of esports titles in 720p or even 1080p.

That would allow you budget for a new motherboard.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I personally would not risk my CPU, RAM and GPU on that motherboard.
But I also would not give up.
If you have all the other components for the build that just means you will have to wait until you can save enough for a new motherboard before you finish the build.

Aug 23, 2019
Assuming you were planning on buying a graphics card with a Ryzen CPU without Igpu:

You could omit a graphics card and swap the CPU for a Ryzen 5 2400g which has integrated graphics capable of esports titles in 720p or even 1080p.

That would allow you budget for a new motherboard.
I already got a Nvidia 1030 for free for someone. Is there a better cpu I can get?

Well, you could cancel your 2600 order.

You could buy a Ryzen 3 and a replacement motherboard:
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor | $59.35 @ OutletPC
Motherboard | ASRock B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $68.89 @ OutletPC
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $148.24
| Mail-in rebates | -$20.00
| Total | $128.24
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-23 20:52 EDT-0400 |

I'll be frank, the R3 1200 is a big step down from the R5 2600, but the 1200 is a great value.
Handles all of the games I play just fine, so don't feel too bad.

Aug 23, 2019
Well, you could cancel your 2600 order.

You could buy a Ryzen 3 and a replacement motherboard:
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor | $59.35 @ OutletPC
Motherboard | ASRock B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $68.89 @ OutletPC
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $148.24
| Mail-in rebates | -$20.00
| Total | $128.24
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-23 20:52 EDT-0400 |

I'll be frank, the R3 1200 is a big step down from the R5 2600, but the 1200 is a great value.
Handles all of the games I play just fine, so don't feel too bad.
But the motherboard is micro atx, also does it have rgb headers?