[SOLVED] Put ryzen 5 5600x in B450 mobo before updating BIOS.

Jul 7, 2021
Put my Ryzen 5 5600x in ASUS prime B450-Plus before updating BIOS (didn’t know at the time). The system didn’t POST so I put my original Ryzen 5 2600 in and it still won’t POST. Did I ruin my system? Do I need a new mobo?

Solution
.... I can’t be the only person who put their new cpu into a mobo with a bios that doesn’t support it. ...

You are right...that shouldn't have done anything. One thing to do is check CPU pins and socket contacts real carefully for damage. Also repeat the CMOS reset, both pull battery and short the pins with the power disconnected. Leave it that way for a couple minutes, WITH the 2600 CPU in there. If it still won't POST into BIOS go ahead and send it back to Asus. I assume it's under warranty for this repair.

ADDED....and double check that you're plugging the monitor in a GPU output, not one on the motherboard back plate AND that you've not left off supplemental GPU power connector.
Jul 7, 2021
Yes I took out the CMOS battery for like 5 minutes and it’s just the same nothingness. The fans spin, board lights are on, gpu is getting power, and I swapped the power supply out with another backup I had. Called ASUS and they just said I can mail it to them so they can repair it. I can’t be the only person who put their new cpu into a mobo with a bios that doesn’t support it. My bios version is 0604 and the one that supports 5600x is 2409.

.... I can’t be the only person who put their new cpu into a mobo with a bios that doesn’t support it. ...

You are right...that shouldn't have done anything. One thing to do is check CPU pins and socket contacts real carefully for damage. Also repeat the CMOS reset, both pull battery and short the pins with the power disconnected. Leave it that way for a couple minutes, WITH the 2600 CPU in there. If it still won't POST into BIOS go ahead and send it back to Asus. I assume it's under warranty for this repair.

ADDED....and double check that you're plugging the monitor in a GPU output, not one on the motherboard back plate AND that you've not left off supplemental GPU power connector.

Last edited:
Solution