"Put the computer to sleep: Never": Is that a problem..?

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I have tried to find a way to connect my laptop to my desktop when I'm on the road, but this is the only way I can get it to work.

If I use for example 30 minutes in B1, and try to connect later that day, TeamViewer (A) reports that "TeamViwer is not running on the remote machine".

If I use the solution "Put the computer to sleep: Never", everything works just fine. Is it a problem to never let the computer go to sleep, while I'm away for a few days, or a couple of weeks..? My OS is on a SSD, and the harddisks and monitors go to sleep. My backupsoftware regularly wakes up the computer anyway (2 times every day)

In my attempts to find a proper/correct solution, I may have messed up some advanced power settings, but I don't want to load the defaults..

ASUS Z97-A motherboard, Windows 10 - 64, TeamViewer, remote connect, WOL, WakeUp LAN, BIOS
WOL_WakeUp_On_LAN.jpg

Solution
Just don't hibernate if it's temporary. During hibernation system processes shutdown and your memory is saved into storage. The bios has it's own small processor which can turn it back on when you shake the mouse or use WoL. your pc only pulls a few watts during hibernation.

If your mobo supports WoL you can wake it from another device on the network.
That's going to require something else to be on and available.
If you can run a VPN on your router it would work.
It's not easy to setup and configure properly to be in the same LAN.

InvalidError

Titan

Depends on your definition of 'slightly'. A typical PC in sleep mode will use ~10W while and idle PC will be 40-100W depending on what is in it. That's 400-1000% as much power.

If you want to be able to remotely access a PC without leaving it always-on, you have to configure some sort of wake-on-LAN pass-through on the router and enable WoL on the LAN port so you can remotely wake up the computer. The exact method will vary between routers and LAN adapters.

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Thanks to you all, that kindly try to give me an answer....about the economics...

It is NOT the power bill I'm concerned about, but what is going on in my desktop when I leave my home...?

Which parts/components are wearing down, from heat/use...?

I learned in 1970 (in my electronic class, building radioes/preamplifiers/amplifiers ++) that any electronic component (tubes at that time :), left with power on, will continue to "do it's job"... if I remember my professor correctly..?

So, what IS going on in my desktop, when I'm on the road..?
Which components are actually working..?

- The monitors are turned off. Nothing is going on there...? (even if signales are sent their way..?)

- The hardisks have shut down (I've set that time to 30 mins). Nothing going on there...?

- The CPU are not busy.., I assume...?

- The GPU is sleeping... I suppose..?
- The power unit (800 w)...is sleeeping/drowsing...I suppose?

Well, I'm just curious. Noting of this really matter....

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

Yes, I know..:)) Right now the temp it around 40... :) (8 fans)
Almost the same as in my pool... :))

But, it is not the peak conditions I'm looking for. I just wondered what are drawing amps/ microamps/ milliamps when my desktrop is idle/not running, ....if ANYTHING..? (even if the desktop is not "fully asleep"..?)

Look away from backups. They are a whole different story. Let them use the amp they need. They are just a few mA for a few minutes.

Outlook is not running. Besides, I have 0 ms ping, 500/500 MB-line. Not an issue.

Lot's of processes are running in the background to make the system run even if you aren't doing anything.
cpu's can downclock and save a little power, but not really very much.
same with gpu's.

in cell phones they have creative solutions with the 4+4 core chips. 4 big cores 4 tiny cores. This is how some of the phones can have always on mics or motion and not pull a ton of power. nothing like this has been in desktops. amd tried to launch mobo crossfire, which used the mobo gpu when idle and the addin gpu when in heavy use. it didn't sell.

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
According to this thread at Reddit n(https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2qi2gg/discussion_idle_power_consumption_of_todays/ ) , my rig will probably draw something around 70-150 watt (monitors turned off). As I said above, this is not a question about the (power) economics, but more a question about the difference between letting the PC hibernate, or leave it on... As explained in the collage, I'm not able to find a solution to wake up my PC from my laptop.

Just don't hibernate if it's temporary. During hibernation system processes shutdown and your memory is saved into storage. The bios has it's own small processor which can turn it back on when you shake the mouse or use WoL. your pc only pulls a few watts during hibernation.

If your mobo supports WoL you can wake it from another device on the network.
That's going to require something else to be on and available.
If you can run a VPN on your router it would work.
It's not easy to setup and configure properly to be in the same LAN.

Solution

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
To Wake on Lan activity, you will need to open your home router to allow some external traffic to reach your computer.

In my opinion we are trying to over engineer.

Your PC will not come to any harm if you leave it on for a few days.