[SOLVED] Putting a GPU in a Dell Optiplex Mini Tower

smmm

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
I'm currently trying to turn my old Dell Optiplex 330 into a lowish-spec gaming PC, sort of along the lines of this Linus Tech Tips video. So as far as the gpu goes, I have some questions. In the video, they slapped the GTX 650 in there with the extension cable and it worked perfectly. I was wondering how the power situation in this is working. I assume that the power supply in their PC, being a proprietary form factor and designed for business, is nothing fancy and likely is on the lower end for power output. The 650 they used is recommended for 400w, so how did the old, stock power supply handle it?
Also, I'd like to avoid trying to adapt the sata power connectors to pci 6 pin, so what are some affordable cards that don't require extra power from cables? I looked at 750tis, but they are a little out of my price range. The PC currently has a 305w psu and I'm planning putting in a Core 2 Duo E8500, it currently has a E4600.

Thanks.

Solution
Another side note.

The major limit of the 750 i linked is that it is a 1gb model. I didnt pick a 2gb or ti due to the extra cost.
I would concider a 750 2gb or even a 750ti 2gb if possible. All would work with your psu.

smmm

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
The mini tower isn't the one that requires low profile GPUs.
I'm also fairly certain it uses a standard ATX PSU. Yes?
Those are both correct, I should clarify. In the video they used the desktop version of the Optiplex which has the proprietary psu. The main point there is the power consumption and how they were able to reliably run a 400w recommended card on a ~300w psu. Also, it's not the low profile that matters for my Optiplex, it's that the gpu would plug in upside-down, and the area where the bulk of it would need to fit is obstructed by the large plastic cpu heatsink shroud. I don't know if a single fan card is short enough to clear it, I'll do some measuring. I also thought about dremeling away some of the plastic of the shroud but the area I would need to remove is one of the mounting points so that's not going to work.
The most important question in this thread is about the power supply being capable of running that card.

Latest posts