putting crts in a unheated garage

hi,

i just moved into a new house and i'm looking for a place to put a few
older CRTs that i dont use often (over the years i've been given them
and they've helped every now and then). They take up too much room in
my office so i was wondering, will i have a problem putting them on
industial shelving in my unheated\cooled garage?

thx for the help,

dan

p.s

if it makes a diffrence i live in NJ right by NYC

Dan Irwin wrote:
> hi,
>
> i just moved into a new house and i'm looking for a place to put a few
> older CRTs that i dont use often (over the years i've been given them
> and they've helped every now and then). They take up too much room in
> my office so i was wondering, will i have a problem putting them on
> industial shelving in my unheated\cooled garage?

Just don't plug them in until they get back to room temp. You'll be OK. I
keep a few in my shed outside and it gets 40 degrees below and colder here
for weeks at a time. I blew a capacitor once when I brought a cold monitor
in and tried to fire it up... learned the lesson... and have let them warm
up before plugging them in ever since and never had another problem.

"i'm_tired" <it_isnt_valid@emailaddy.edu> wrote in message
> Dan Irwin wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > i just moved into a new house and i'm looking for a place to put a few
> > older CRTs that i dont use often (over the years i've been given them
> > and they've helped every now and then). They take up too much room in
> > my office so i was wondering, will i have a problem putting them on
> > industial shelving in my unheated\cooled garage?
> >

> Just don't plug them in until they get back to room temp. You'll be OK.
> keep a few in my shed outside and it gets 40 degrees below and colder here
> for weeks at a time. I blew a capacitor once when I brought a cold
monitor
> in and tried to fire it up... learned the lesson... and have let them
warm
> up before plugging them in ever since and never had another problem.

Maybe, maybe not.
The flyback transformer is supposed to be sealed, but they frequenty fail
because of traces of moisture that infiltrate the housing. If this happens
over a long period of time, the water isn't going to come out just by
letting it warm up. You'd have to bake it. Same with a lot of the small
ceramic caps -- very sensitive to moisture infiltration.

If you have a decent CRT, like a 17" multiscan, I'd find room for it in the
bottom of a closet.
If it's not a modern unit, and the choice is to toss it or put it in the
patio, it will probably survive on the patio.

"Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "i'm_tired" <it_isnt_valid@emailaddy.edu> wrote in message
> > Dan Irwin wrote:
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > i just moved into a new house and i'm looking for a place to put a few
> > > older CRTs that i dont use often (over the years i've been given them
> > > and they've helped every now and then). They take up too much room in
> > > my office so i was wondering, will i have a problem putting them on
> > > industial shelving in my unheated\cooled garage?
> > >

> > Just don't plug them in until they get back to room temp. You'll be OK.
> > keep a few in my shed outside and it gets 40 degrees below and colder
here
> > for weeks at a time. I blew a capacitor once when I brought a cold
> monitor
> > in and tried to fire it up... learned the lesson... and have let them
> warm
> > up before plugging them in ever since and never had another problem.
> >
> Maybe, maybe not.
> The flyback transformer is supposed to be sealed, but they frequenty fail
> because of traces of moisture that infiltrate the housing. If this happens
> over a long period of time, the water isn't going to come out just by
> letting it warm up. You'd have to bake it. Same with a lot of the small
> ceramic caps -- very sensitive to moisture infiltration.
>
> If you have a decent CRT, like a 17" multiscan, I'd find room for it in
the
> bottom of a closet.
> If it's not a modern unit, and the choice is to toss it or put it in the
> patio, it will probably survive on the patio.

Wrap 'em up in plastic trash bags, throw in one of
those silica gel dessicant pouches that come in
everything you buy these days.

Keeps the dust out too.

>i just moved into a new house and i'm looking for a place to put a few
>older CRTs that i dont use often (over the years i've been given them
>and they've helped every now and then). They take up too much room in
>my office so i was wondering, will i have a problem putting them on
>industial shelving in my unheated\cooled garage?

Cold doesn't matter. Damp might.

"Vance Green" <vancegrn@nowhere.net> wrote in message

[snip]

> Wrap 'em up in plastic trash bags, throw in one of
> those silica gel dessicant pouches that come in
> everything you buy these days.
>
> Keeps the dust out too.

I have a Lecroy 9400A digital oscilloscope that was stored by it's previous
owner in an unheated garage in Vermont for a winter. I got it cheap, because
the tripler was destroyed by the cold.

i'm in jersey not vermont, here we dont get all that cold for all that long