[SOLVED] Putting in GTX 1650 Super and the PC turns on then off

Jan 22, 2020
I got a GTX 1650s (/super) today, upgrading from a GTX 750TI & after putting it in (twice to ensure it was in properly) the PC just shuts off after turning it on, then repeatedly tries to turn on but constantly fails.
It sometimes gets to a point where it stays on with a blank screen, but if i power it off, it shuts off immedietly. Hope someone can help, please :'
(the card spins & the white light is on, aswell. Tried without the 6pin power thing, but the light goes red and nothing works still )

PC -
CPU: A401 - Intel Core i5 4460
CPU Cooler: 3028 - Zalman CNPS10X Optima
Operating System: F101 - Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit
Motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-HD3
RAM: C103 - 8GB DDR3 1600mhz (+4GB ram)
Hard Drive: 2TB + 3TB Toshiba
Graphics card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB PHOENIX
Sound Card: Q302 - Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: K323 - NZXT S340 Black
PSU: K602 - 600W Corsair CX

Solution
Mixing memory can lead to all sorts of issues. I would suggest removing the 4GB memory stick while troubleshooting to reduce the possible technical issues you are dealing with.
Jan 22, 2020
I vote for 750W PSU.
Try disconnecting both HDD, pull the sound card and see if it gets to POST. If it does - you need more power, if it does not - the GPU might be defective.

Edit: disconnect the power cables from the HDDs too :)

I plugged out the 2 HDDs (the power cables and the ones connecting them to the mother board) & put in the GPU & the PCIE 6-pin thing, and now it goes to the extra step and shows the BIOS( i think it is?) blue screen with a header then shuts off
This happened first time, actually, but it was so quick i barely noticed it
I guess it is a PSU issue? (or maybe i have to update my bios or something?)

Thanks for helping!

my GPU says 'OC' (which i assume is overclock) which i think means it gets more power and has more energy consumption... is it possible to reduce it so that it can potentially run on the current PSU, or am i being wishful
The "OC" part has nothing to do with the power draw prior to getting to the OS and gaming. At this point, the system does not even boot. Lets get there first :)

Jamie_75

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
I actually just swapped from a GTX 750 TI to a 1650 as well, I'm only running a 600w thermaltake
a HDD and an SD, 4 sticks of ram. I'm not getting the power down issues though, the screen will go a solid color and I can hear game sound still but the screen doesnt come back. even if i unplug replug hdmi

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gigabyte-gtx-1650-windforce-oc.b6918

this is the card, running on my 600w so perhaps not the issue. could be though.

In my opinion before getting a new power supply re-seat your ram.
because you're upgrading im assuming the ram has been there for a bit and usually gets shooken around during install of new parts, the connections can get loosened a bit and just swapping the places of your sticks will sometimes cure the problem.

Last edited:
I actually just swapped from a GTX 750 TI to a 1650 as well, I'm only running a 600w thermaltake
a HDD and an SD, 4 sticks of ram. I'm not getting the power down issues though, the screen will go a solid color and I can hear game sound still but the screen doesnt come back. even if i unplug replug hdmi
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gigabyte-gtx-1650-windforce-oc.b6918
this is the card, running on my 600w so perhaps not the issue. could be though.
But you get the system to boot and run, do you have exact same components? It is a very different issue you have there 🙃
In your case, I would remove the OC software you might have had and clean with DDU and reinstall VGA drivers to start with.

Every sharpie has different colour and taste :)

Jamie_75

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
But you get the system to boot and run, do you have exact same components? It is a very different issue you have there 🙃

Mine are drawing more power than his and we have the same psu wattage.
proper troubleshooting you don't jump to the most expensive conclusion.

If a lamp does not work, you check the light bulb. then to see if its plugged in, then the switch.
You don't open it up and replace the wiring, you make sure everything on it is still working.

He just added a new video card, he should make sure everything is still connected properly.
triple check each wire. if the problem persists after all of this, borrow a friends PSU to make extra sure.

Mine are drawing more power than his and we have the same psu wattage.
I have a deja vu. Just had a PSU and watts discussion here.

If a lamp does not work, you check the light bulb. then to see if its plugged in, then the switch.
You don't open it up and replace the wiring, you make sure everything on it is still working.

He just added a new video card, he should make sure everything is still connected properly.
triple check each wire. if the problem persists after all of this, borrow a friends PSU to make extra sure.
Well, I appreciate the troubleshooting lesson.
In fact, the PSU would be the cheapest and easiest component to get (out of the probable causes), assuming the cabling is intact as only the GPU was changed.

Jamie_75

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
I have a deja vu. Just had a PSU and watts discussion here.

Well, I appreciate the troubleshooting lesson.
In fact, the PSU would be the cheapest and easiest component to get (out of the probable causes), assuming the cabling is intact as only the GPU was changed.

The ram is a probable cause, remove one stick of ram and boot your pc up and it will do exactly what his computer is doing.

The video card is a probable cause and is new, if it is faulty it has a warranty the PSU does not.

The PSU is not a probable cause because the computer is attempting to boot.
which means power is there, before he buys a new power supply he should make sure thats the actual problem by testing it with another one.

What if he buys a power supply he didn't need and the computer still wont boot.
Just because he didn't check to see if his ram had become unseated first.

I'm not trying to be rude but people come here for help and the answers they are given have to be well thought out or they could end up wasting money and tons of time. That is not fair to them.

The ram is a probable cause, remove one stick of ram and boot your pc up and it will do exactly what his computer is doing.
I doubt that. Try it yourself :)

The video card is a probable cause and is new, if it is faulty it has a warranty the PSU does not.
That might be the case too. Little more expensive and the idea is to upgrade, not downgrade.
The PSU is not a probable cause because the computer is attempting to boot.
which means power is there, before he buys a new power supply he should make sure thats the actual problem by testing it with another one.
No, that does not mean the PSU is OK. The problem is that he does not have another one to try.

What if he buys a power supply he didn't need and the computer still wont boot.
Just because he didn't check to see if his ram had become unseated first.
Will return it to the store.

Jamie_75

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
🤦‍♂️ Okay.

Google unseated ram.
Or just read it right Here on Toms Hardware.

How is a warrantied video card more expensive than buying a new power supply?

and yes, the power supply works. It just MAY NOT be enough power with his current configurations.
But those can be altered in the bios which i could guide him through <<Edited by moderator>>

Going to the store, using gas, installing and and then having to take it out, return to store get refund use more gas is a waste of time if you don't need to do that.

<<Edited by moderator>>

Last edited by a moderator:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
To get this thread back on track, the OP's current PSU should be sufficient to power this system as long as it is not defective.

The PCIe power connection MUST be connected to the GTX 1650 for it to work.

The memory reference is odd, what do you mean by "8GB DDR3 1600mhz (+4GB ram) "? Do you have have mixed memory sticks installed (different sizes/makes/models)?

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

Jan 22, 2020
To get this thread back on track, the OP's current PSU should be sufficient to power this system as long as it is not defective.

The PCIe power connection MUST be connected to the GTX 1650 for it to work.

The memory reference is odd, what do you mean by "8GB DDR3 1600mhz (+4GB ram) "? Do you have have mixed memory sticks installed (different sizes/makes/models)?

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?
i copied over my configuration from where i brought it, but didn't edit it properly.. sorry about that

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460

CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS10X Optima

Operating System: F101 - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Windows 10

Motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-HD3

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600mhz (1x8GB) (added a 4gb ram stick from an old pc, not sure what kind it is but its green and from like 2012?)

Hard Drive: - 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s Toshiba P300 3TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 64MB Cache & Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 64MB Cache

Graphics card: - NVIDIA® GeForce® ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB PHOENIX OC Turing Graphics Card

Sound Card: - Onboard 7.1 Audio

Case: NZXT S340 Black

PSU: - 600W Corsair CX

Jan 22, 2020
Hello, i have returned
I just took out the 4gb ram then tested it
It shut off without any display on the screen at first, then it started up again and showed the bios-looking blue kind of screen again (but for a bit longer this time) then shut back down, then i stopped & removed the GPU (the screen just has a header and a blank blue page)

I guess it still doesnt work, unfortunately 😔