[SOLVED] Putting in new ram

DogeUsedWow

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Hi there!

I build my pc last year and I wish to upgrade my ram to 16gb, I currently have 2x4gb.
The ram I used for my pc is the following: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0123ZBPDA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Now I can't seem to find a spot to buy them for a reasonable price. There is however a follow up: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CM...00MHz-Memory/dp/B077ZFCWJW/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Thing is, the follow up is the C16 while my ones are the C15. I wonder if this matters and if I can just put the C16 ones next to my current ones without any problems?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hi @DogeUsedWow

Short Answer: Possibly, but not advised.

Long answer, it's really never a good idea to mix n' match RAM. While you may add in the RAM and your system runs smoothly, it may also choose to not play nice with the RAM you already have installed or you may have 16GB installed but only 8GB shows as installed. You may have a system that runs smooth or a system that's constantly crashing. Basically mixing n' matching is like playing the lotto. Sometimes you get lucky & sometimes you are just throwing away your money.

To have the smoothest running system possible, most here would advise you to remove the 2x4GB you have installed now and install the fastest 2x8GB kit your motherboard & pocketbook can afford.

Give us a...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @DogeUsedWow

Long answer, it's really never a good idea to mix n' match RAM. While you may add in the RAM and your system runs smoothly, it may also choose to not play nice with the RAM you already have installed or you may have 16GB installed but only 8GB shows as installed. You may have a system that runs smooth or a system that's constantly crashing. Basically mixing n' matching is like playing the lotto. Sometimes you get lucky & sometimes you are just throwing away your money.

To have the smoothest running system possible, most here would advise you to remove the 2x4GB you have installed now and install the fastest 2x8GB kit your motherboard & pocketbook can afford.

Give us a little more info on the make & model of your motherboard and we'll give you a few ideas of what RAM it supports. :)

Solution

DogeUsedWow

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Hi @DogeUsedWow

Give us a little more info on the make & model of your motherboard and we'll give you a few ideas of what RAM it supports. :)

Thank you for your answer! I have MSI Z370 Gaming Plus motherboard. Which ram sticks do you recommend that aren't too pricey?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @DogeUsedWow

Whats your max realistic budget? As in what you could spend right this second. No theory builds or "I'll have the money a week from next Thursday." lol..

Your mobo supports a max 64GB of DDR4. At stock, non-OC'ed speeds you can have up to DDR4-2667 RAM. If you OC, then your mobo supports all the way up to DDR4-4000.

Here are the specs.

As for RAM kits, here are 2 nice & fast kits. (Prices depending on location)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 - Approx. $64
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 - Approx. $75

I'm sure other members will be along shortly as well to provide more suggestions for you to choose thru. Don't worry if you don't plan to OC, the above RAM will still work just fine. Your system sill simply underclock itself to your mobo's current settings.

Let us know what you get! :D

Last edited:

DogeUsedWow

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Hi @DogeUsedWow

Whats your max realistic budget? As in what you could spend right this second. No theory builds or "I'll have the money a week from next Thursday." lol..

Your mobo supports a max 64GB of DDR4. At stock, non-OC'ed speeds you can have up to DDR4-2667 RAM. If you OC, then your mobo supports all the way up to DDR4-4000.

Here are the specs.

As for RAM kits, here are 2 nice & fast kits. (Prices depending on location)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 - Approx. $64
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 - Approx. $75

I'm sure other members will be along shortly as well to provide more suggestions for you to choose thru. Don't worry if you don't plan to OC, the above RAM will still work just fine. Your system sill simply underclock itself to your mobo's current settings.

Let us know what you get! :D

I already had my eye on your first recommendation, I think I'm going to order those right away and sell my old ones. Thank you for you help! :)

Reactions: Mrgr74