Putting laptop ram in desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylehpc

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Hi all, I've recently come across an HP laptop I owned about 4 years ago, the model is a HP Pavillion dv6700.

I just tried to run the new Call of Duty on my desktop and was rejected with a message saying I didn't have enough ram. This made me take the ram out of this old hp laptop, it had one 2gb ram and one 1gb ram, I'm only really interested in putting the 2gb of ram in my desktop, but when I open my desktop up the ram in it is twice the size of the ram from my laptop. Also, I don't mean twice the size as in twice the gigabytes, I mean twice the length. Is there any possible way to still insert this smaller one into my desktop?

Here is a link to my desktop:
http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=5035344&spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c02701326-25%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

No.. they make them different physical sizes.. with little notches in various positions to try and stop idiots putting incompatible memory in the wrong places..

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.