Feb 10, 2020
PC: Asus ROG G551JW
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Whenever my laptop is put into "Sleep Mode" in any way; be it:
a) By pressing the "Power Button" on the laptop keyboard;
b) By closing the laptop lid;
c) By going through START -> POWER -> SLEEP;
d) Due to inactivity;
... my laptop undergoes a FORCED SHUT DOWN. As in, my laptop is shut down like when the power wire is pulled out of a desktop.

When I press to awaken my laptop from what I thought to be from "Sleep Mode", it starts from BIOS once again, instead of starting from where I left off (as it should be in Sleep Mode). I have checked my driver settings and power settings, but those seem to be okay.

Please note that the laptop has been plugged in this entire time, so I don't know if it is something to do with the battery either. If Google Chrome or Microsoft Office softwares are open when I send it to "Sleep Mode", after restarting, they prompt me about "Chrome was not shut down properly" and Microsoft Office shows the document recovery tab respectively.

Would be very grateful if someone could help me out here.

Solution
I have seen some solutions floating around on the internet that this has something to do with Intel Management Engine Interface and how I need to block access for it to control my power settings. Unfortunately, I couldn't find that same option Device Manager Properties of this driver. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I tried to use the Intel CSME Version Detection Tool and it said my system is not supported.

Some mentioned that it might have something to do with IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, so I updated the driver for it. Updated all my other drivers as well. The problem still persists.

Gonna try your solution now and check if it updates anything.
EDIT: Okay, that did not work. Could it be a problem with my battery? My battery...
Hello

Can you please share the details as to what have you tried to troubleshoot the issue thus far?

The best way to start with is to reset the current power plan settings to default and see if it helps.

You can find more solutions to the problem here.

Feel free to report back for any further assistance.

Cheers!!

Feb 10, 2020
Can you please share the details as to what have you tried to troubleshoot the issue thus far?

I have seen some solutions floating around on the internet that this has something to do with Intel Management Engine Interface and how I need to block access for it to control my power settings. Unfortunately, I couldn't find that same option Device Manager Properties of this driver. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I tried to use the Intel CSME Version Detection Tool and it said my system is not supported.

Some mentioned that it might have something to do with IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, so I updated the driver for it. Updated all my other drivers as well. The problem still persists.

EDIT: Okay, that did not work. Could it be a problem with my battery? My battery fails every now and then. But I am doing all of this while my laptop is plugged in.

Last edited:

EDIT: Okay, that did not work. Could it be a problem with my battery? My battery fails every now and then. But I am doing all of this while my laptop is plugged in.
Hello again

It is quite unlikely that the issue is with the battery. However, you can still try removing it, and then use the PC only with the power supply.

About Intel Management Engine Interface, you can simply download the driver from your computer vendor's website and install it. You can find more details about this here.

The next thing you can try is, Hard Reset your laptop. You can do this by disconnecting all the connected peripherals, the battery, and unplugging it from the power supply as well, and then pressing and holding down the Power button for 30 to 60 seconds.

You may also want to check for any BIOS update and install it if available.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

Solution