[SOLVED] Putting PC on Cupboard

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
Hello all,

This is a random question but I can't think of where else to ask. Because of space restrictions in my bedroom (I am a student who lives at home with my parents) I am thinking of putting my PC on a cupboard - specifically this one:

Would a piece of solid oak furniture take the weight of my system? I presume it would but I just want to check. I have contacted them and they said although it obviously wasn't designed for this purpose there shouldn't be any issues. Does anyone else have their PC on a cupboard or piece of solid oak furniture?

Thanks!

Specs:
CPU: i7-9700K overclocked to 4.7GHz.
CPU Cooler: See above.
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (WiFi).
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD and Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080TI 11GB FTW 3 Ultra
PSU: Corsair RM1000i 1000W 80+ Gold
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2

Solution
Thanks. Do you have any idea about how much weight the internal components add to the weight of a PC case? My Meshify S2 is only about 10kg on its own.
Well yes, the HAF932 is 15KG on it's own!

Your key weighty items after the case are your GPU and PSU really (and sometimes CPU cooler, especially AIO). Everything else whilst holds weight, is less significant.

You could probably expect a PSU and bigger GPU to add maybe another 5KG tops (and that's heavy). But I'd suspect it'd be less than that.

Solid oak will have no problem.
I mean short term powering the system on a cabinent might be OK, but there are a lot of risks involved. The system could easily get damaged sitting there. A case really would be a far better option. If you haven't bought your parts yet, I'd suggest finding a Micro-ATX case and a Micro-ATX board to match.

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
I mean short term powering the system on a cabinent might be OK, but there are a lot of risks involved. The system could easily get damaged sitting there. A case really would be a far better option. If you haven't bought your parts yet, I'd suggest finding a Micro-ATX case and a Micro-ATX board to match.

My system would be in a case - the Meshify S2. I think there may have been some misunderstanding - I meant I plan to put my PC on there. It would be in the Meshify case.

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
Sorry about the misunderstanding - my fault. I know some people have their systems on a proper gaming desk, and whilst I would very much like one, I have very strict dimensions I must adhere to without refurbishing most of my room which I don't really want to do. I presume with it being solid oak it will be more than sturdy enough.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks. Do you have any idea about how much weight the internal components add to the weight of a PC case? My Meshify S2 is only about 10kg on its own.
Well yes, the HAF932 is 15KG on it's own!

Your key weighty items after the case are your GPU and PSU really (and sometimes CPU cooler, especially AIO). Everything else whilst holds weight, is less significant.

You could probably expect a PSU and bigger GPU to add maybe another 5KG tops (and that's heavy). But I'd suspect it'd be less than that.

Solid oak will have no problem.

Reactions: lukemurtagh1995
Solution

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Sorry for resurrecting such a recently deceased thread but does anyone have any thoughts about using this TV stand to put my PC on?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-an...s/serano-s700bg12x-tv-stand-12069035-pdt.html

The website states it can take weights of 45kg so it should be sturdy enough. What are your thoughts?
No question that would be fine. The kind of TVs that stand can be made for are often heavier than most ATX builds. Your build won't be more than 45kg.

Reactions: lukemurtagh1995