Putting pci-e card (Bluetooth and wifi) between PSU and GPU in microtower HP

amir.adam

Prominent
Sep 1, 2018
Dear people
A few weeks ago I bought myself a hp pro 3500 mt. I put a Corsair rx650 in it and some ram, a new ssd and a GTX 580.

Currently it is running well but I want to put this pci-e Bluetooth/wifi card between the GPU and PSU.
Dont know if this is a good idea due to ventilation possibilities in this small case???
Also I didn't manage to close the sidepanel of the PC untill now since the GTX 580 is so big, but I'm planning on closing it soon.

I will try to provide you a pic so you have an idea.

Edit: picture; the pci-e card is shown in the picture and my finger is pointing more or less to where the open pci-e slot is.

o55ldw.jpg

Thanks in advance !

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'd invest into a new PC case where you can mount your PSU where it's fan faces downwards, rather than using what you currently have. While your PC runs fine with side panel open, once you'll close it, either GPU or PSU will choke due to the insufficient airflow (that depends who's fan has higher static pressure).
Image (blue arrows are airflow paths):
o55ldw1.png

Since your wi-fi card is low-profile, it won't interfere with the already bad spot between GPU and PSU. Instead, it may make it slightly better by providing some separation between the two airflow wise.

amir.adam

Prominent
Sep 1, 2018

Thanks for the answer! To be precise the PSU is placed fan downwards..
A new case might not be happening soon.. you think there is no other way to make it work?

Also is there some software I can use to check if heat gets too much or sth for when I'll close it down? Thanks

I added a new picture with the point of the arrow pointing towards where the wind is flowing, the picture is a little bit misleading.
2zoddeu.jpg

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You have Corsair RM650X PSU, right? Your image clearly shows that the lettering is upside and fan faces GPU, thus pulling air directly in front of GPU. I can even see fan grille on your PSU.
PSU image:
-CP-9020178-NA-Gallery-RM650x-PSU-01.png

As far as monitoring software goes, i use Speccy and HWinfo64 to confirm temps between the two programs.

Speccy (nice GUI and easy to use + has sys tray temp monitor feature),
link: https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download
HWinfo64 (a lot more detailed + has logging feature),
link: https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Do note that these programs show the temp of the sensors in your PC (e.g GPU die, various spots on MoBo, CPU die). No software can show PSU temp, unless you have digital PSU in use (e.g NZXT E-series).

Edit:
Airflow is actually in reverse at your 2nd image, hence the choke point.

Also, i looked that your case had left side open, with PSU at the bottom and MoBo above it, like most cases are. Though, if you have inverted layout case, then your PSU does sit above MoBo. In inverted layout PC cases, i'd mount (if able) the PSU so that it's fan won't face GPU.