[SOLVED] Putting SSD on old PC to get data off it ?

SteelMouse

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Hello,

Recently my main desktop had some hardware problems and wouldn't boot up. So I took the WD Black HDD's and plugged them into the old PC (with the old PC's sata cable + it's power cable from the old PC, just put the WD Black HDD into the old PC and used the old PC's cables.) I did this as a second HDD in addition to the existing HDD on the old PC and booted up from the existing HDD on the old PC. And I took some data I needed from the WD Black HDD.

Now my question is: Can I do the same with my new PC's OS Drive Samsung SSD (I think Samsung 860 Evo, definitely not a nvme ssd) and plug into my old PC with the old pc's cables and boot it up?
The issue is the data I need is in a program so it has to be booted from the SSD and not the old PC's HDD.

First thing: Would that cause any cable incompatiability?
My old PC's motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-P55-US3L-rev-23/sp#sp
Has SATA 3 Gb/s connectors.
The HDD from new desktop (WD Black) worked fine in the old pc and the SSD from the new desktop uses the same connector as the WD Black (SATA).

Second thing: Since I am trying to use the new SSD as the main boot drive in the old pc, I won't get proper resolution display, etc,.
I just need to boot it up, run the program for a min, get the data, then it's done.
Old PC: Runs Win 7, 10 year old hardware with AMD GPU.
New PC: Runs Win 10 with Nvidia GPU.

Thanks a lot for your time. Just need confirmation that I won't fry anything so I can do the things more confidently.

Solution
Hello,

Recently my main desktop had some hardware problems and wouldn't boot up. So I took the WD Black HDD's and plugged them into the old PC (with the old PC's sata cable + it's power cable from the old PC, just put the WD Black HDD into the old PC and used the old PC's cables.) I did this as a second HDD in addition to the existing HDD on the old PC and booted up from the existing HDD on the old PC. And I took some data I needed from the WD Black HDD.

Now my question is: Can I do the same with my new PC's OS Drive Samsung SSD (I think Samsung 860 Evo, definitely not a nvme ssd) and plug into my old PC with the old pc's cables and boot it up?
The issue is the data I need is in a program so it has to be booted from the SSD and...
Hello,

The issue is the data I need is in a program so it has to be booted from the SSD and not the old PC's HDD.

First thing: Would that cause any cable incompatiability?
My old PC's motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-P55-US3L-rev-23/sp#sp
Has SATA 3 Gb/s connectors.
The HDD from new desktop (WD Black) worked fine in the old pc and the SSD from the new desktop uses the same connector as the WD Black (SATA).

Second thing: Since I am trying to use the new SSD as the main boot drive in the old pc, I won't get proper resolution display, etc,.
I just need to boot it up, run the program for a min, get the data, then it's done.
Old PC: Runs Win 7, 10 year old hardware with AMD GPU.
New PC: Runs Win 10 with Nvidia GPU.

Thanks a lot for your time. Just need confirmation that I won't fry anything so I can do the things more confidently.
Well Yes.. You can plug your OS drive into another PC and recover your data.. but if your New SSD is formatted in MBR format.. that may not open and may not show your existing data in it.... If this happens.. Don't try to copy, read, write anything on your SSD, it may overwrite your data..

But most of the time you can just copy what ever you want..

And Yes it will not Physics damage anything.. just make sure don't break any Connector as my cousin did many times while installing Sata cable..

Solution