[SOLVED] Putting the battery in my laptop causes it to lag

bacwrds

Honorable
Nov 7, 2017
So I have a HP pavilion dv7 laptop that still runs fine with windows 10 to this day, unless you put the battery in...
If I insert the battery the laptop immediately begins to slow down, and doing anything at all is a pain in the rear.
For example if I'm watching YouTube and I put the battery in, the video begins to stutter and the audio begins to crackle and cut out.
Playing CSGO with the battery out runs at 1280x720 medium settings (hovers around 50-60fps) but as soon as the battery is in it drops to 5 fps.
I thought it was overheating, but the temps don't change with or without the battery in (I used HWmoniter to observe).
I tested two separate battery's, both provided the same affect.

Solution
hi, windows is using two power plans for laptops
one for battery mode
one for charger plugged in mode

press start -> settings -> system -> power and sleep
or type ms-settings:powersleep?activationSource=SMC-IA-4027067 in win +r
if u have recent build, u can change energy from there, if not, click on advanced settings and change it there
You might investigate assorted power settings/power plan options, as often systems run more conservatively when just on battery power....; for frames to drop to 5 fps, one would have to assume you are downclocking the CPU to 8000 MHz, and, heaven only knows what low GPU clocks might be engaged...

If the unit runs on the battery but relies on charging it at the same time, it's charging capacity might be overwhelmed when run at full load...

hi, windows is using two power plans for laptops
one for battery mode
one for charger plugged in mode

press start -> settings -> system -> power and sleep
or type ms-settings:powersleep?activationSource=SMC-IA-4027067 in win +r
if u have recent build, u can change energy from there, if not, click on advanced settings and change it there

Solution