Question Putting together a PC for the first time (physically), any guides/suggestions on how to put it all together?

I'm quite nervous to build the computer myself, I was going to get somebody else to put it all together but I'd honestly really like to learn myself.

I actually don't know where to start, I know where everything is once it's built but i have no idea how it gets there.

Bassplate

Reputable
Hii there friend~~ :benetton:
Well i'm here to help...and you know actually is quite fun to build your own computer by yourself!If you do everything yourself and everything is working it will make you feel real cool and clever!!
So first of all i'm going to put a list down where to begin and what to install first!!
If you say you stripped everything
1.So first of all always start of by installing your motherboard first into your casing.
2.when your motherboard is installed then install every component which connects to the motherboard itself like(CPU...RAM...CPU FAN...AND HARDRIVES) Don't connect the cables just yet.
3.Then install your power supply...connect every power connector carefully to your motherboard and make sure every component is perfectly connected.
4.Then install all cables and make sure you do some cable management otherwise your computer case side panels will not close perfectly....
5.make sure you connect your front panel connector in the right way on the motherboard and yeah that's basically all...
Make sure every component is at its rightful place and where it belongs...other wise you will run into some trouble...Double check everything and make sure the power supply connections is where its suppose to be.
If you struggle you know where to look for help;)

rgs80074

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
well unlike when i first started building pc's you really can't easily put stuff in backwards, that was a big problem that happened easy and could ruin stuff.

today is not so easy to put stuff in backwards, in fact its rather hard.

the biggest issue now a days is research to make sure you have what you need and what you want. seems more and more cpu coolers these days come with thermal paste in some form.

once you have researched and ordered all your parts the fun begins

first: take everything slow you don't need to be a speedster to get stuff done and then miss little things.

look at all instructions and if needed video's online (thats a great resource)

be very careful handling things and you really should have an anti static device you wear or always be touching metal to ground yourself, maybe do not do this and i've occasionally not done this and never had issues but when it comes to building a pc i usually have one i wear.

have a spare pc or laptop available cause something is likely go wrong.

for example i just built a new pc took my time putting it all together and when i powered it on for the first time it would not boot, drove me nuts.

and not sure why this even mattered but i had to go down to 1 stick of ram and remove the wd m2 drive
then it would boot to the bios
save and close and reinstall the stuff
made no sense but it worked

the big thing is just take it slow and be careful

hope this helps

ryan

Hii there friend~~ :benetton:
Well i'm here to help...and you know actually is quite fun to build your own computer by yourself!If you do everything yourself and everything is working it will make you feel real cool and clever!!
So first of all i'm going to put a list down where to begin and what to install first!!
If you say you stripped everything
1.So first of all always start of by installing your motherboard first into your casing.
2.when your motherboard is installed then install every component which connects to the motherboard itself like(CPU...RAM...CPU FAN...AND HARDRIVES) Don't connect the cables just yet.
3.Then install your power supply...connect every power connector carefully to your motherboard and make sure every component is perfectly connected.
4.Then install all cables and make sure you do some cable management otherwise your computer case side panels will not close perfectly....
5.make sure you connect your front panel connector in the right way on the motherboard and yeah that's basically all...
Make sure every component is at its rightful place and where it belongs...other wise you will run into some trouble...Double check everything and make sure the power supply connections is where its suppose to be.
If you struggle you know where to look for help;)
Hey. Thanks for the reply. I haven't checked back to these forums recently so sorry for the late appreciation.

I suppose the thing that scares me the most is the processor. And static. I remember the processor being very picky and easily wrecked. The thermal paste is also some reason concerning. Even though the videos that i've seen just put a little in the center and it spreads with the cooler / fan.

Any tips for making sure not to accidently screw up / shock my parts, or how to handle the CPU without concern? Also is it okay to build it on a table / hardwood (fake) floor?

well unlike when i first started building pc's you really can't easily put stuff in backwards, that was a big problem that happened easy and could ruin stuff.

today is not so easy to put stuff in backwards, in fact its rather hard.

the biggest issue now a days is research to make sure you have what you need and what you want. seems more and more cpu coolers these days come with thermal paste in some form.

once you have researched and ordered all your parts the fun begins

first: take everything slow you don't need to be a speedster to get stuff done and then miss little things.

look at all instructions and if needed video's online (thats a great resource)

be very careful handling things and you really should have an anti static device you wear or always be touching metal to ground yourself, maybe do not do this and i've occasionally not done this and never had issues but when it comes to building a pc i usually have one i wear.

have a spare pc or laptop available cause something is likely go wrong.

for example i just built a new pc took my time putting it all together and when i powered it on for the first time it would not boot, drove me nuts.

and not sure why this even mattered but i had to go down to 1 stick of ram and remove the wd m2 drive
then it would boot to the bios
save and close and reinstall the stuff
made no sense but it worked

the big thing is just take it slow and be careful

hope this helps

ryan
Appreciate the reply! Sorry for the late response. I posted a response to the other person as well, if you have any comments / suggestions on those concerns.

What is your list of parts?
You want to check on compatibility.
Best to do that before you order.

MY build process:

Before anything, while waiting for your parts to be delivered, download
and read, cover to cover your case and motherboard manual.
Buy a #2 magnetic tip philips screwdriver.
I find it handy to buy a power switch like this for testing.
https://www.ebay.com/p/4in1-PC-Powe...or-Computer/631889283?iid=142232821294&chn=ps

1. I assemble the critical parts outside of the case.
That lets me test them for functionality easily.
A wood table or cardboard is fine.
2. Plug in only the necessary parts at first. Ram, cpu, cooler, psu.
Do not force anything. Parts fit only one way.
Attach a monitor to the integrated motherboard adapter if you have one, otherwise to the graphics card.
  1. If your motherboard does not have a PWR button, momentarily touch the two pwr front panel pins with a flat blade screwdriver.
  2. Repeatedly hit F2 or DEL, and that should get you into the bios display.
  3. Boot from a cd or usb stick with memtest86 on it. memtest will exercise your ram and cpu functionality.
  4. Install windows.
  5. Install the motherboard cd drivers. Particularly the lan drivers so you can access the internet.
Do not select the easy install option, or you will get a bunch of utilities and trialware that you don't want. Drivers only.
  1. Connect to the internet and install an antivirus program. Microsoft security essentials is free, easy, and unobtrusive.
  2. Install your graphics card and driver if you tested with integrated graphics.
You will need to remove the graphics card later to install your motherboard in the case.
As a tip when screwing the motherboard into the posts, give the screw a small counterclockwise turn until you feel a click.
That lets you know that the screw will engage properly.
Make a note of how the graphics card latches into the pcie slot.
The mechanism will be hidden under the card and may be difficult to work if you have not previously checked how.
  1. Update windows to currency.
  2. Only now do I take apart what I need to and install it in the case.
  3. Now is the time to reinstall your graphics card.