Putting two nonempty HDDs into RAID 0

quinnsimmons

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
Hello,
I have a 256 GB and a 1 TB hard drive and both have data on them. Currently, the 256 has Windows installed and most of my programs. I'm wanting to increase the speed of my system so I'd like to setup RAID 0 on these drives (I may be mistaken, but I think that the total RAID volume cannot exceed 512 GB). Is it possible for me to transfer the files from the 256 to the 1 TB, create a 256 GB partition on the 1 TB, setup the 256 and the partition of the 1 TB in RAID 0, install Windows onto the RAID drive, and then transfer the stored data onto the RAID drive as well? If not what are my options? Thanks!

Solution
@quinnsimmons, I'm assuming that the 256GB drive is actually a 250GB HDD, as per your subject header.

I've seen strange setups in NAS boxes, but I can't see how to do what you want. However, you could speed up your machine by making the 1TB drive your boot drive since it will probably be the faster one (a HD Tune benchmark should confirm this). Limiting the OS and programs to the first 250GB partition on the 1TB drive will ensure that these data are located in the fastest section of the disk.
Hello there, quinnsimmons!

Unfortunately, I'm afraid your plan won't work with an SSD and an HDD. Setting up any RAID configuration would insist on formatting both drives. :( Another very important rule for building an array is to use identical drives, otherwise you'd limit the capacity and the performance to the smallest/weakest drive in the configuration. That's why it's impossible to do what you plan with your OS SSD and the data HDD.
Read through this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Let me know if you have more questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD

@quinnsimmons, I'm assuming that the 256GB drive is actually a 250GB HDD, as per your subject header.

I've seen strange setups in NAS boxes, but I can't see how to do what you want. However, you could speed up your machine by making the 1TB drive your boot drive since it will probably be the faster one (a HD Tune benchmark should confirm this). Limiting the OS and programs to the first 250GB partition on the 1TB drive will ensure that these data are located in the fastest section of the disk.

Solution