Puzzled about BSODs

Indaliceo

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
Alright, I'm at wit's end on this one, past few months I've been getting random BSODs ranging from memory_corruption to IRQL ones. Every time I think I have the cause narrowed down and fixed and it's running fine for hours it happens again. THere doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to them, or specific timing as sometimes it'll run fine for hours and hours, and others it'll crash, then immediately crash again. 90% of the time it seems to happen when I'm playing a game on 1 monitor and I'm either broadcasting or watching a stream/youtube/netflix on the other.

So far I've tried: Resetting the RAM, trying different ports, did a system restore, ran memtest for 8 hours (0 errors), I've run sfc /scannow more times than i can count (never finds anything), updated/reinstalled every last little driver I could possibly find. I'm just completely out of ideas at this point.

System specs:
Windows 10 Home
CPU: AMD FX 8350 4000Mhz
RAM: 8 gbs
HDD: 240gb PNY SSD (CS1311 SSD) (only windows installed on this)
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 470 (4gb)
Mobo: MSI 970 Gaming (MS-7693)

Here's the latest minidump file, unfortunately sometimes these crashes don't even create a dmp file....

Minidump

Update, just happened again, this time with the only things being open: Steam, Pidgin, Skype, and Elite Dangerous.

dump: drive link

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.... If more info is needed I'll gladly try and get said info.

Solution
So as to not waste your time, try following the posting instructions on the page below and make a thread on there as they may get to bottom of the problem faster than I may: https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't read dump files but this can, can you download and run who crashed
It will create a summary of the errors and may show a driver name

Copy/paste results in here and I see what I can do

Otherwise someone will read the dump files and work it out.

IRQ errors are normally driver errors, as can be memory management. is this your motherboard? you probably need to use win 8 drivers if it is

Indaliceo

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017

First off, no that's not my motherboard, this one is.

Who Crashed results:
On Sun 1/15/2017 2:28:05 AM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\011517-5984-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A6F0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFB180C5DE9998, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF803538E653E)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 1/14/2017 11:16:51 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\011417-6187-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x109 (0xA39FDF5CCFB204F9, 0xB3B6EBE3222FC353, 0xFFFFF803B4928510, 0x1)
Error: CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that the kernel has detected critical kernel code or data corruption.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 1/11/2017 9:56:40 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\011117-5890-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x2, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF802F516054C)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

Conclusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Connsider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Doesn't seem like that program is giving me much more info than I already knew lol.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Go to the Utilities page for your motherboard and download live update 6 and run it, it will check your hardware and offer any driver updates you may need.

IRQ errors are always drivers so maybe the updater will find it.

I used the MS-7693 code so it led me to wrong board, good thing it was wrong.

Indaliceo

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017

Only things that came up as not up to date/installed were the MSI Utilities.

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, I tried.. it appears whatever is causing the errors isn't a motherboard driver... I could guess at it not being the GPU drivers only as its not a typical GPU error.

Can try running Driver Verifer - follow the instructions here and run who crashed on resulting log as it will crash, that is its job. If driver is hiding again, upload the dump file and maybe someone who can read them will find what is missing.

Indaliceo

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017

Well this just got interesting. Resulting crash after that came up with this:

On Sun 1/15/2017 8:18:29 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\011517-6156-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: corsairvbusdriver.sys (CorsairVBusDriver+0x174D)
Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0x2000, 0xFFFFF80979C3174D, 0x0, 0x43514D4B)
Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\corsairvbusdriver.sys
product: Corsair virtual device driver
company: Corsair
description: Corsair virtual bus driver
Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: corsairvbusdriver.sys (Corsair virtual bus driver, Corsair).
Google query: Corsair DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

seems like the software for my k70 RGB is the root cause of this somehow....

Indaliceo

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017

Yea I had the most recent one installed, gonna try completely removing everything from it then re-installing and seeing if it crashes again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its VPN software from what I can gather - The process known as Juniper Setup Client belongs to software Juniper Setup Client or Pulse Secure Setup Client by Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or Pulse Secure. - https://www.pulsesecure.net/ or http://www.juniper.net/us/en/

maybe get updates here: http://www.juniper.net/support/downloads/

Indaliceo

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017

That's part of the VPN program I have to use whenever I work from home. The crashes were happening before I re-installed Pulse (the program it belongs to). As far as I'm aware this is the only version that I'm able to use, I'd have to check with my boss though about updating it.

On a whim I ran the verifier again after I uninstalled the corsair drivers, and this time I got:

On Sun 1/15/2017 8:46:17 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\011517-5421-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: mbfilt64.sys (MBfilt64+0x4B94)
Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0x2000, 0xFFFFF807B8664B94, 0x0, 0x774E6350)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbfilt64.sys
company: Creative Technology Ltd.
description: Creative Audio Driver
Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: mbfilt64.sys (Creative Audio Driver, Creative Technology Ltd.).
Google query: Creative Technology Ltd. DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

Which points to my realtek audio drivers.... Going to uninstall them and try this again....

Colif

Win 11 Master
Realtek & Creative aren't likely to be the same thing. They owned by 2 different companies for starters, and opposing ones at that in Sound card market... that doesn't make sense to me.

edit: Driver Description: Realtek HiDefinition Audio driver (file labelled as Creative Audio Driver) - Was found in the latest Win8 version available from Realtek on 07Sep2013 http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=MBfilt64.sys

ok, its mislabelled I guess?

Indaliceo

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
Well this is a hell of a rabbit hole I'm going down here.... After uninstalling the audio driver I ran versifier again... This time crash points to the VPN software....

Indaliceo

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
So now I'm getting these crashes within about 5-10 minutes of my PC being booted up.

On Sun 1/15/2017 10:52:36 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\011517-5578-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: verifierext.sys (VerifierExt+0x1223F)
Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0x92012, 0xFFFFF806CF8043B0, 0xFFFFBF0EA9AE4B30, 0xFFFFBF0EA9AE4BC8)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\verifierext.sys
description: Driver Verifier Extension
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.
Google query: Microsoft Corporation DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

Edit... may have forgot to stop the verifier... That's on me... Will update as I do more tests as I re-install stuff

Indaliceo

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
Alright... So re-installed the audio driver, no issues, re-installed the corsair drivers and immediate crashes... Guess I just have to live with an RGB keyboard that just doesn't have RGB capabilities. Thanks everyone for the help.

Indaliceo

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
So few updates.....

Still trying to get a solution from corsair... Initial ticket took 3 days for them to reply to with a generic "Uninstall program run CCcleaner then reinstall it". Did it yet again with same results, posted the contents from whocrashed to them 2 days ago, still no response.

The crashes have continued so this morning since I have the day off I decided to do a clean install of windows 10 and check as I installed drivers to try and find the culprit.

The corsair one is still crashing but at least I've found I can put a static light pattern onto the k70 itself and it'll stick even after the program is uninstalled so not a COMPLETE loss on that one.

However the interesting one/super annoying one is the driver for the on board sound on my motherboard (realtek) just continuously crashes no matter what version of the driver I install. I've tried one directly from the MSI ultility, directly from realtek's website, I've even installed one through windows. It seems my PC just doesn't like any driver for it.

On Sat 1/21/2017 1:48:49 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012117-4593-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: mbfilt64.sys (MBfilt64+0x4B94)
Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0x2000, 0xFFFFF80075014B94, 0x0, 0x774E6350)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: mbfilt64.sys .
Google query: mbfilt64.sys DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

I can get sound without the driver installed, however even at max volume the sound is basically non existent. Short of going out and buying a separate sound card (and trying to find one that doesn't use realtek/creative driver) I'm completely stumped now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So as to not waste your time, try following the posting instructions on the page below and make a thread on there as they may get to bottom of the problem faster than I may: https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/

Solution