Question Puzzled? USB MP3 files??

Cpt Snake

Commendable
Jan 20, 2022
On my USB 3.1 flash drive I have 980 tunes, on MP3 format. It plays on my computer, Yamaha AV Reciever, Car stereo. Onkyo and Pioneer AV receivers, state that there are no files. Confused? Any Ideas?

How was the USB stick formatted?

FAT32?

NTFS?

exFAT?

Car players often require FAT 32.

Are you POSITIVE the AV receivers will play from a USB stick? Quite possible they will and should, but not all will. Check the manuals to see what file format they require. May not be FAT 32?

Yeah, my Subaru required FAT32, while my current Mazda is much more cooperative.

I only use USB sticks as backup in the car now; for the last year I've been using Plexamp to stream from my server at home directly to my car.

Never heard of the streaming from Plexamp thing. So far, I am satisfied with 1800 songs on an 8 GB stick

Can you give me a few details?

Range, total cost, shortcomings?

Cpt Snake

Commendable
Jan 20, 2022
How was the USB stick formatted?

FAT32?

NTFS?

exFAT?

Car players often require FAT 32.

Are you POSITIVE the AV receivers will play from a USB stick? Quite possible they will and should, but not all will. Check the manuals to see what file format they require. May not be FAT 32?
It's a FAT 32. Thanks

DSzymborski

Titan
Never heard of the streaming from Plexamp thing. So far, I am satisfied with 1800 songs on an 8 GB stick

Can you give me a few details?

Range, total cost, shortcomings?

It's just a music player for Plex. I don't remember if it cost anything; it didn't require a subscription.

Plexamp works in Android Auto (and presumably Apple CarPlay, but I don't have an iPhone) and if you have Plex set at home, you can play any music you have on your home server through your internet (my Mazda has its own hotspot, which is convenient).

https://postimg.cc/gallery/bzJw9RP

Works super well for my needs.

Reactions: Lafong
How old are those Onkyo and Pioneer AV receivers? They did not support VBR (v0) MP3 until surprisingly late, and then couldn't show correct time remaining on those tracks right up until they went bankrupt this year and were sold off to VOXX and Sharp. Try a CBR MP3 on the stick

Also, a surprising number of motherboards cannot boot from larger than 32GB sticks, and a receiver may have a similarly abbreviated size limitation (a shame since 64GB is almost the same price nowadays, and odd too because that's also the SDHC/SDXC cutoff)

Oh well, there were similar odd size limits with IDE disks at 504MB, 2015MB, 7560MB, 128GB caused by simply not looking far enough ahead

Cpt Snake

Commendable
Jan 20, 2022
The AV receivers are current 2022 models. I owned the Onkyo and sent it back to Amazon. The Pioneer tested was at a Best But store. What is a CBR MP3? Thanks

The AV receivers are current 2022 models. I owned the Onkyo and sent it back to Amazon. The Pioneer tested was at a Best But store. What is a CBR MP3? Thanks

Constant Bit Rate..............as opposed to VBR (Variable Bit Rate). CBR files tend to be larger than VBR.

CBR should be an option you can accept or reject when saving the mp3. I have never used it...VBR works fine for me in all players.