PuzzlePhone Picture Emerges As $333 Modular Smartphone Lands On Indiegogo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I like this concept far better than Project Ara (which is imo too complex). The problem with these modular phones is the need for a relatively static design and dimensions, but I might get one anyway.

Jeremy Kincaid

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
Jesus, that price increase for more storage is insane. $111 more for 16gb more storage, then $333 more for 32gb more?! Kinda takes away from the whole modular concept when you have to pay outrageously for more storage instead of paying like 70 bucks for a (modular?) microsd. The appeal of modular phones is to not overpay to get what you need as part of a bundled price (like when they give you more ram to go with more storage when all you really want is more storage.) I'll keep my eye on project ARA which is, like, ACTUALLY modular, instead of this first party only upgrade they look to be doing, correct me if I'm wrong. ARA has the potential to turn phones into better tools with modules serving whatever purpose you can fit on there,with modules made by whatever company wants to get involved. I picture in the future doctors having a phone with like some x-ray camera on it or a computer repair technician having a module that pops out a little powered screwdriver. And if your little screwdriver module breaks? Just replace THAT SPECIFIC PART instead of half the phone. This is just a boring half-step towards modulation that they try to pass off as being more sensible. You'd be better off with a 300 dollar phone with an sd slot.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I don't disagree about the storage price markup. I think some of that cost comes from materials, too...? But anyway, right, it's not clear what the full benefits would be from the $333 version to the one that costs more than double.

Do note, though, that Circular Devices wants to make this a third-party module thing. I mentioned that in the copy at one point.

I'm optimistic about Ara, but the project seems plagued by all sorts of issues. Delays, tech issues, leadership changes. They cancelled the Puerto Rico pilot. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/project-ara-no-magnets-2016,29890.html

I agree that PuzzlePhone is less compelling than Ara, but it seems more feasible. And that's the thing to excited about, IMHO.

g-unit1111

Titan
I like the idea of this phone - my biggest question is carrier availability. Especially here in the US where that's very important. If they could make a CDMA version that's compatible with Sprint and Verizon, this thing could sell like hotcakes, if they lowered the price of course.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Jesus, that price increase for more storage is insane. $111 more for 16gb more storage, then $333 more for 32gb more?! Kinda takes away from the whole modular concept when you have to pay outrageously for more storage instead of paying like 70 bucks for a (modular?) microsd. The appeal of modular phones is to not overpay to get what you need as part of a bundled price (like when they give you more ram to go with more storage when all you really want is more storage.)

I could be wrong here, but I think there are more changes than just the storage, and the most expensive one (limited edition) seems to be for fans / supporters.

dezonio2

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
The article completely forgot to mention the fact that the company is from Espoo, Finland. At the very least they won't have a shortage of talent there.

Status
Not open for further replies.