Puzzles Are Fun In Virtual Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
In a few years people will say "Remember when VR was for building things? how did we fuck that up? now its about destroying things" Good times.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

VR isn't only "for building things." It's for any thing.
There are plenty of other experiences coming, some of whiich I'm still writiing about from the event.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
the whole we can only do it with vr thing needs to end, vr should be a fun addition to a game, not a cumbersome one, note besiege... it looks like it largely does what the puzzle game does, but does not require living room space, a vr headset and a vr controller, it also does it seemingly better because the its not going full gimmick in the way you control it.

i get games will go through an awkward phase with vr, but my god, nothing done in vr has yet to actually be not doable without, and even with that said, better without.

you want to kill off vr faster than anything else, make it so the games play worse than without.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

I have no idea what you are talking about, but none of the games I tried felt worse in VR, and most couldn't be done without VR.

Litterally none of the 12 games I tested have any risk of killing off VR.
They were all fun to play and each one had somethiing unique to offer. Taking inspiration from an old idea and applying it to VR doesn't make the game any less fun. VR devs are building games around what feels fun to do in VR.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

The hardest thing to do right now is explain to people why they want to try it.
Once they do, they are sold.

There will be good and bad games and other things just like any platform. The good ones will succeed, become refined and drive the direction things go. Bad things will be phased out.

The concept of bad games killing off VR is like saying a few bad TV shows will kill TV. Heck, most TV shows arguably suck and it didn't stop me getting my Buffy fix.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

While that certainly will remain true for a long time, much of the "bad" has already been weeded out by the 3 year lead time for VR to be released.
Devs have been playing with what works and what doesn't for some time now, and what is emerging as final products for each VR platform is really showing that things have come a long way in those 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.