PvP Coming to EverQuest II

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Per a letter from John Smedley, President of SOE:

John Smedley's Letter to the Community: April 7th, 2005

Hello Everyone,

First off, I'd like to say thanks for all of the wonderful ideas we received
from you after my last posting. Having this ongoing dialogue is something
SOE is committed to in a major way, and it's one of the biggest things you
all asked for. So you'll see an increase in our public presence, not just
on our boards, but on a lot of the fansites, as well. And we've created a
new position within our ranks, the Director of Community Relations,
specifically to prioritize you, the community, within our service offerings.
Alan Crosby, previously EQ Community Relations Manager, will be stepping
into this role, and all of SOE's community managers and representatives will
report to him, while still maintaining close ties to the game teams, of
course. Under this new structure, we will become even more responsive, even
more dedicated to customer focus!

I'd like to give you a general update on our games this posting:

Since my last post , we launched our first Adventure Pack for EverQuest II -
"The Bloodline Chronicles" - and over half our player base is already
playing it! We are committed to releasing new content between Expansion
Packs that goes beyond our live updates, and so we'll continue to release
these Adventure Packs on a regular basis -- a first for our industry.

The EQII team is still hard at work on the existing game, and I think that
all of the new content the team has added since launch is pretty amazing. In
the past few weeks alone, we've added several new high level raids, an
in-game mail system, Mentoring (something we're really excited about), two
additional character slots for all subscribers , and we just added the new
merchant system, which will allow players to sell items in game without
having to leave their computer running. That's on top of the usual game
additions -- dozens of new quests, spells, items, tradeskill recipes, etc.
You can expect us to keep up this pace for a long time to come. Another part
of the EQII team is hard at work on our first Expansion Pack, coming out
later this year. We've taken a lot of your recent ideas and feedback into
account, and we're working on some innovative ways characters can move and
interact with the environment. Also, we're taking the first step towards
introducing PvP competition with the introduction of a new type of combat!

In Austin , our Star Wars GalaxiesT team is focused on a big change to the
game's combat system. The "Combat Revamp" is now live on the SWG test
server, and it's getting very positive feedback from the SWG playerbase. The
team is also putting the finishing touches on Star Wars GalaxiesT: Episode
III Rage of the WookiesT, which launches in less than a month. The SWG
playerbase is very strong, and we're continuing to put a lot of effort into
making Star Wars GalaxiesT even better and adding new content all the time.
The latest expansion pack adds Episode III content into the universe --
something our SWG players were asking for!

There's also a lot of action on EverQuest . We're consolidating many of the
servers to keep the game an exciting place to be, and we are investing a lot
of time and effort in making this game an even better experience for its
many fans. EverQuest just had its 6th anniversary on March 16th. It's very
gratifying to see such a strong demand for this game, but when you look at
how much of an impact EverQuest has had on so many people's lives - not to
mention the entire industry - it's not very surprising. We continue to hear
remarkable stories of how people are touched by the game. In fact, we just
had a player name her daughter Firiona!

One other subject I wanted to touch on is our Customer Service department.
We've made some significant changes, and I'm proud to say our average
telephone hold times are now 5 minutes or under. And our in-game response
times are among the best in the business! We know how important this is to
our players, and we will continue to focus on decreasing these response
times even further.

We're going to have a lot of new things to talk about in the upcoming months
.. Our games continue to thrive, and we have a bunch of exciting
developments coming out of our San Diego , Austin and Seattle studios.
We're enjoying the present and looking toward a very bright future for SOE
and the online games industry , and I wanted you to know that we truly
appreciate your support and feedback, and we're listening ! We're here to
entertain you.

Thanks,

John Smedley

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
On 2005-04-08, Bob Perez <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:

> One other subject I wanted to touch on is our Customer Service department.
> We've made some significant changes, and I'm proud to say our average
> telephone hold times are now 5 minutes or under. And our in-game response
> times are among the best in the business! We know how important this is to
> our players, and we will continue to focus on decreasing these response
> times even further.

Nice to see SOE make this a priority. In SWG response times by
CSRs was fast. In WoW the three tickets I did open were never
responded to.

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 12:52:25 -0500, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
wrote:

>["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
>On 2005-04-08, Bob Perez <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:
>
>> One other subject I wanted to touch on is our Customer Service department.
>> We've made some significant changes, and I'm proud to say our average
>> telephone hold times are now 5 minutes or under. And our in-game response
>> times are among the best in the business! We know how important this is to
>> our players, and we will continue to focus on decreasing these response
>> times even further.
>
>Nice to see SOE make this a priority. In SWG response times by
>CSRs was fast. In WoW the three tickets I did open were never
>responded to.

Funny, I always got responses within a day in WoW. However, no SOE
game have I played that I've gotten a response in under a day. Often
times, the response times were measured more in WEEKS.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-04-08, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> i've opened two tickets during my time in wow and both were responded to
> within an hour. considering the tone of your usenet posts when you're
> bitching about something, it doesn't surprise me that they ignored you.

This was during the first month when even Blizzard was closing
tickets and telling customers they did not have enoguh CSRs and
were training new hires to handle the load.

shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in

> Nice to see SOE make this a priority. In SWG response times by
> CSRs was fast. In WoW the three tickets I did open were never
> responded to.

I've opened about 6 tickets in WoW and every one of them were responded
to eventually. Sometimes it took them a long time, but they all were
responded to.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-04-08, knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, it's a religion to you, you're like a WoW-Atheist. Any chance to
> post an anti-Blizzard rant on here and you gladly do so.

Blizzard screwed me enough times that I moved on. Complaining
about it is my way of making customer satisfaction an
issue. Here's a free clue if you don't complain no one at
Blizzard will ever care.

> Your little "they never responded to my tickets" post is no more valid
> than mine. Basically, both of them are just one person's experience, and
> we don't have any numbers to verify one way or the other if Blizzard is
> doing a good job on customer service or not.

Spoken like a true fanboy. Please see http://www.patchtimer.org/

Plenty of people mail in with complaints. I especially liked the
EU player talk about how bad it is for them. One guy had to pay
twice to play for a month because Blizzard screwed up billing.

I can sense darkness in you Knight37. Let your fanboy walls come
down and reach deep inside. That anger you feel inside toward
Blizzard can be harnassed into a million angry posts. Don't be
afraid. The Darkside of the Force is far more powerful.

"shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
> On 2005-04-08, knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
>> shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Nice to see SOE make this a priority. In SWG response times by
>>> CSRs was fast. In WoW the three tickets I did open were never
>>> responded to.
>>
>> I've opened about 6 tickets in WoW and every one of them were responded
>> to eventually. Sometimes it took them a long time, but they all were
>> responded to.
>
> Your opinion on WoW doesn't matter.

What he stated was a fact, not an opinion.

user

Splendid
Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <115dfjrh82r354b@news.supernews.com>,
myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE says...
> Per a letter from John Smedley, President of SOE:
>
> John Smedley's Letter to the Community: April 7th, 2005

A tongue in cheek response to John Smedley's Letter to the Community:
April 8, 2005

> Hello Everyone,

Hello John,

> First off, I'd like to say thanks for all of the wonderful ideas we received
> from you after my last posting. Having this ongoing dialogue is something
> SOE is committed to in a major way, and it's one of the biggest things you
> all asked for. So you'll see an increase in our public presence, not just
> on our boards, but on a lot of the fansites, as well. And we've created a
> new position within our ranks, the Director of Community Relations,
> specifically to prioritize you, the community, within our service offerings.
> Alan Crosby, previously EQ Community Relations Manager, will be stepping
> into this role, and all of SOE's community managers and representatives will
> report to him, while still maintaining close ties to the game teams, of
> course. Under this new structure, we will become even more responsive, even
> more dedicated to customer focus!

> I'd like to give you a general update on our games this posting:
>
> Since my last post , we launched our first Adventure Pack for EverQuest II -
> "The Bloodline Chronicles" - and over half our player base is already
> playing it!

Then almost half your playerbase declined? Good for them!

> We are committed to releasing new content between Expansion
> Packs that goes beyond our live updates, and so we'll continue to release
> these Adventure Packs on a regular basis -- a first for our industry.

Yup, until now, the players thought their monthly subscriptions were
supposed to be covering some sort of ongoing content development. If
they wanted to play a static online game there are several free ones out
there. So what exactly are you doing with all the subscription money
now?

> There's also a lot of action on EverQuest . We're consolidating many of the
> servers to keep the game an exciting place to be, and we are investing a lot
> of time and effort in making this game an even better experience for its
> many fans. EverQuest just had its 6th anniversary on March 16th. It's very
> gratifying to see such a strong demand for this game,

Strong demand and sever consolidation in the same paragraph. I can't be
the only one that sees some incongruity in claiming a game that appears
to have hemorrhaged 50+% of its playerbase in 3 months to be in strong
demand...

> but when you look at
> how much of an impact EverQuest has had on so many people's lives - not to
> mention the entire industry - it's not very surprising. We continue to hear
> remarkable stories of how people are touched by the game. In fact, we just
> had a player name her daughter Firiona!

Start saving now for the lawsuit; dear Firiona probably isn't going to
be quite as impressed. (Assuming her parents remember to feed her during
their downtime.)

> One other subject I wanted to touch on is our Customer Service department.
> We've made some significant changes, and I'm proud to say our average
> telephone hold times are now 5 minutes or under.

Telephone hold times are now 5 minutes or under because you've
demonstrated that there is no reason to call. You don't provide customer
service anyways, so whats the point?

> And our in-game response
> times are among the best in the business! We know how important this is to
> our players,

Good, thought out, personalized customer service is important to your
players. Getting told to "stuff it" isn't high on our priority list; no
matter how quickly you do it.

> and we will continue to focus on decreasing these response
> times even further.

Why not just cancel your phone lines and remove the /petition command?
You could then brag how proud you are that your customer complaints and
your hold times have dropped to zero.

> We're going to have a lot of new things to talk about in the upcoming months
> . Our games continue to thrive, and we have a bunch of exciting
> developments coming out of our San Diego , Austin and Seattle studios.
> We're enjoying the present and looking toward a very bright future for SOE
> and the online games industry , and I wanted you to know that we truly
> appreciate your support and feedback, and we're listening ! We're here to
> entertain you.

"Unless you have an issue. Then we're not really here at all. Please ask
someone else, somewhere else, and assume its your own fault!

PS Even it is our fault we won't...er can't, yeah that's it: "can't" do
anything to fix it anyways."

//////

/shrug I hate spin doctors

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 18:14:07 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>> Since my last post , we launched our first Adventure Pack for EverQuest II -
>> "The Bloodline Chronicles" - and over half our player base is already
>> playing it!
>
>Then almost half your playerbase declined? Good for them!

I'd wager most of those who are playing Bloodline Chronicles are the
all-access guys who got it for "free".

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

>In Austin , our Star Wars GalaxiesT team is focused on a big change to the
>game's combat system. The "Combat Revamp" is now live on the SWG test
>server, and it's getting very positive feedback from the SWG playerbase.

For "positive" read, lots and lots of negative feedback and complaints about
completely misguided approach that is driving away a large contingent of the
veteran players away to other game systems. Looks like they're up to the
same
tricks with EQ and EQ2 . . . . adopt the fingers in ears approach and start
sing "la, la, la . . . . . . . " very loudly.

RangerGirl wrote:

>>In Austin , our Star Wars GalaxiesT team is focused on a big change to the
>>game's combat system. The "Combat Revamp" is now live on the SWG test
>>server, and it's getting very positive feedback from the SWG playerbase.
>

> For "positive" read, lots and lots of negative feedback and complaints about
> completely misguided approach that is driving away a large contingent of the
> veteran players away to other game systems. Looks like they're up to the
> same
> tricks with EQ and EQ2 . . . . adopt the fingers in ears approach and start
> sing "la, la, la . . . . . . . " very loudly.

What is the combat system revamp is SWG? The concept of SWG is cool,
but the implementation of the game is pretty piss poor....Has it gotten
any better?

<jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:
> RangerGirl wrote:
>
> >>In Austin , our Star Wars GalaxiesT team is focused on a big change to the
> >>game's combat system. The "Combat Revamp" is now live on the SWG test
> >>server, and it's getting very positive feedback from the SWG playerbase.
> >

> > For "positive" read, lots and lots of negative feedback and complaints about
> > completely misguided approach that is driving away a large contingent of the
> > veteran players away to other game systems. Looks like they're up to the
> > same
> > tricks with EQ and EQ2 . . . . adopt the fingers in ears approach and start
> > sing "la, la, la . . . . . . . " very loudly.
>
> What is the combat system revamp is SWG? The concept of SWG is cool,
> but the implementation of the game is pretty piss poor....Has it gotten
> any better?

Man I so have to agree with that. SWG was sooooo close to being a great
game. It had tremendous potential, and an incredible license to build a
game world around. Among many smaller "failures" in their implementations,
the one that made the game "unplayable" for me was the complete and total
lack of a third dimension. When a 9 foot tall wookie runs into a 6 inch
tall rock, the rock *must* be the loser in such a confrontation. Not in
SWG.

> On 2005-04-08, knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, it's a religion to you, you're like a WoW-Atheist. Any chance
>> to post an anti-Blizzard rant on here and you gladly do so.
>
> Blizzard screwed me enough times that I moved on. Complaining
> about it is my way of making customer satisfaction an
> issue. Here's a free clue if you don't complain no one at
> Blizzard will ever care.

Here's a free clue: Blizzard doesn't give two shits about what some
anonymous dork on USENET writes. No matter how many times he drones on
about it. You voted with your wallet, good for you. I really don't care
if you keep up your Blizzard bashing ways, it amuses me, but lets not
pretend your anti-WoW opinion is any more valid than my pro-WoW opinion.

>> Your little "they never responded to my tickets" post is no more
>> valid than mine. Basically, both of them are just one person's
>> experience, and we don't have any numbers to verify one way or the
>> other if Blizzard is doing a good job on customer service or not.
>
> Spoken like a true fanboy. Please see http://www.patchtimer.org/

LOL, that has NOTHING to do with the topic we were discussing, does it?
Besides which, why should I care if Blizzard's adding content or not in
patches? It's not like I've seen all the content that came in the box on
day one yet. Maybe the no-lifer's with six toons sitting at 60 care but
not me.

Anyway didn't they add a new dungeon in the latest patch? I haven't seen
it, it's for high-level people, but since I'm taking my time sniffing the
roses rather than rushing to the end as fast as possible I'm sure I'll
get to it eventually.

> Plenty of people mail in with complaints. I especially liked the
> EU player talk about how bad it is for them. One guy had to pay
> twice to play for a month because Blizzard screwed up billing.

Are you talking about on the forums? Because the site you just linked
doesn't have anything about this. I find it humorous that you've quit the
game but you are so obsessed with it that you still read the forums, LOL.

> I can sense darkness in you Knight37. Let your fanboy walls come
> down and reach deep inside. That anger you feel inside toward
> Blizzard can be harnassed into a million angry posts. Don't be
> afraid. The Darkside of the Force is far more powerful.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-04-08, knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you talking about on the forums? Because the site you just linked
> doesn't have anything about this. I find it humorous that you've quit the
> game but you are so obsessed with it that you still read the forums, LOL.

Actually it's on patchtimer. Maybe in the archive. An EU player
emailed in with his views.

> I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Touche.

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <slrnd5e3v9.2jd.faned@wyld.qx.net>,
Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote:

>Man I so have to agree with that. SWG was sooooo close to being a great
>game. It had tremendous potential, and an incredible license to build a
>game world around. Among many smaller "failures" in their implementations,
>the one that made the game "unplayable" for me was the complete and total
>lack of a third dimension. When a 9 foot tall wookie runs into a 6 inch
>tall rock, the rock *must* be the loser in such a confrontation. Not in
>SWG.

In beta I was running down a ramp from a building, and went to jump off the
side near the end. WTF I can't do that ? There was big hole in a wall and
rather than run around went to climb through over the small lip in front of
it. WTF I can't do that ? I felt like I had the freedom of movement as that of
a rat in a maze.

That was the end for me, never bought the game on release.

Jim

foamy wrote:
> In beta I was running down a ramp from a building, and went to jump
> off the side near the end. WTF I can't do that ? There was big hole
> in a wall and rather than run around went to climb through over the
> small lip in front of it. WTF I can't do that ? I felt like I had the
> freedom of movement as that of a rat in a maze.
>
> That was the end for me, never bought the game on release.
>
> Jim

That's close to my impression of Guild Wars, at least the version of it I
played.

--
chainbreaker

> On 2005-04-08, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > i've opened two tickets during my time in wow and both were responded to
> > within an hour. considering the tone of your usenet posts when you're
> > bitching about something, it doesn't surprise me that they ignored you.
>
> This was during the first month when even Blizzard was closing
> tickets and telling customers they did not have enoguh CSRs and
> were training new hires to handle the load.

Your opinion doesn't matter. With your anti-Blizzard stance, you are not
reliable. Blizzard bashing is a crusade for you.

Until you can be honest and put things in perspcetive and look at things in
a reasonable manner, your posts are worthless.

Practice what you preach.

Peace,

Grotnar

"shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
> On 2005-04-08, Bob Perez <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:

With all this there is no reason to stay in WoW

In article <vrpd515hdr6n6i5ijnurqe94q6c9va4pnv@4ax.com>,
Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
> >Nice to see SOE make this a priority. In SWG response times by
> >CSRs was fast. In WoW the three tickets I did open were never
> >responded to.
>
> Funny, I always got responses within a day in WoW. However, no SOE
> game have I played that I've gotten a response in under a day. Often
> times, the response times were measured more in WEEKS.

Perhaps he was using the bug reporting command in WoW? The one that let
you fill out a form and then didn't actually send it anywhere, so it
looked to you like you'd submitted something, but you actually hadn't.
(I believe they finally took this command out in one of the last two
patches).

That would explain his getting no response!

--
--Tim Smith

"Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 18:14:07 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >> Since my last post , we launched our first Adventure Pack for EverQuest
II -
> >> "The Bloodline Chronicles" - and over half our player base is already
> >> playing it!
> >
> >Then almost half your playerbase declined? Good for them!
>
> I'd wager most of those who are playing Bloodline Chronicles are the
> all-access guys who got it for "free".

Sshhh, don't spoil Smedly's daydreams of selling patches to an eager
playerbase! =D

--
Simond
"I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your

thrasher

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004

On 8 Apr 2005 18:08:17 GMT, knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

>I've opened about 6 tickets in WoW and every one of them were responded
>to eventually. Sometimes it took them a long time, but they all were
>responded to.

Knight... this comment is over the top, even for you. Both the
"tickets" I opened vanished into the ether after I logged out. I was
on for 3 or 4 hours after opening them, both times. Do you ever log
out of the game? Because I can't see any way that all 6 of your
tickets were responded to "eventually" unless you are in the game
24/7.

Really, man, if you want people to take your comments seriously you
have to work on your credibilty.

thrasher

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Hey, that's good news. EQ2 is a better game than WoW, lack of PvP is
it's major failing. Maybe I'll give it a try, again, whenever they get
beyond the "first step" (and the second and third :p) - or maybe
won't. I'm having trouble generating any enthusiasm for MMORPGS these
days. I'm starting to believe that EQ was just a fluke. It's good to
see EQ2 is doing something about their biggest failing, though. A game
that's short on content really cannot be without PvP to fill the gap.

Thrasher <spectre911@hotmail.com> once tried to test me with:

> On 8 Apr 2005 18:08:17 GMT, knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I've opened about 6 tickets in WoW and every one of them were responded
>>to eventually. Sometimes it took them a long time, but they all were
>>responded to.
>
> Knight... this comment is over the top, even for you. Both the
> "tickets" I opened vanished into the ether after I logged out. I was
> on for 3 or 4 hours after opening them, both times. Do you ever log
> out of the game? Because I can't see any way that all 6 of your
> tickets were responded to "eventually" unless you are in the game
> 24/7.
>
> Really, man, if you want people to take your comments seriously you
> have to work on your credibilty.

The tickets do NOT vanish when you log out, every time you log in it shows
that you have an open ticket up in the top-right corner. Either they
answered your ticket and you missed the response from them or something
happened to your ticket. BTW, I know you play on a different server, and
JUST MAYBE the people in charge of your server aren't doing such a hot job.
Don't call me a liar, because what I wrote above is a hard cold FACT, I've
had 6 tickets, and they were ALL answered. Sometimes it took them a couple
of DAYS, but they never just vanished.

BTW, I've had several types of responses from tickets. A few times I got an
in-game email, and a few times I actually had a GM send me private messages
in the game. Even when a response was hardly necessary. Such as one time I
reported that some jackass was blathering a bunch of racist comments in the
newbie zone chat area, I really didn't expect to get a response, but they
did. That jackass probably came from your PVP server when it was down that
night.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Thrasher <spectre911@hotmail.com> writes:
> ... It's good to
> see EQ2 is doing something about their biggest failing, though. A game
> that's short on content really cannot be without PvP to fill the gap.

Um, doesn't that mean that EQ2's biggest failing is actually
lack of content?

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 52 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 50 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Teviron, Knight 11 on E. Marr

user

Splendid

In article <7wekdj8vft.fsf@ca.icynic.com>, don-ns@iCynic.com says...
> Thrasher <spectre911@hotmail.com> writes:
> > ... It's good to
> > see EQ2 is doing something about their biggest failing, though. A game
> > that's short on content really cannot be without PvP to fill the gap.
>
> Um, doesn't that mean that EQ2's biggest failing is actually
> lack of content?

Point! Set! Match!