[PW!] [NS] Summons

I know you can't really control Legendaries in PW, but could you have,
oh say, a magic flute that summons Legendary Pokemon for one-shot,
utilitarian deals? Like summoning Lugia to fly on its back or Entei to
have it break down doors?

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531

My Adventure Quest character:

"Chet Weaver - Chicks Dig Giant Robots" <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in
message news:2gl7jrF3umagU2@uni-berlin.de...
> I know you can't really control Legendaries in PW, but could you have,
> oh say, a magic flute that summons Legendary Pokemon for one-shot,
> utilitarian deals? Like summoning Lugia to fly on its back or Entei to
> have it break down doors?

Technically, you COULD do anything at all with legendaries as long as it's
consistent with the rules (i.e. there's only one of each, and you can't
catch them). The only question is why you'd do that.

Thing is, legendaries are special, and have to be depicted with the correct
level of mystique and respect. Remember SHAKK? Silly question.

The way I see it, the best way to incorporate legendaries is the way the
show does it (NOT the films). They show up very, very rarely, do something
small, usually, and disappear, leaving everyone to stand around saying
"wtf?".

Finally, though, ask yourself this: if you picked a non-legendary, would the
story be any less interesting? Does it have to be Entei breaking down the
doors, or could an Arcanine do it? Would flying on a Swellow ruin the story
that could have been great if it contained Lugia?

At the end of the day, there's no rule against WRITING about legendaries,
but there's probably a reason people don't do it very often.

Steffan

Chet Weaver - Chicks Dig Giant Robots wrote:
> I know you can't really control Legendaries in PW, but could you have,
> oh say, a magic flute that summons Legendary Pokemon for one-shot,
> utilitarian deals? Like summoning Lugia to fly on its back or Entei to
> have it break down doors?

Summoning is a form of control.

Like Steffan said, though, would the story be much different if, say,
you substituded a legendary (but not Legendary) dragonite whose soul was
bound to the magic flute? Even a magikarp using splash can, under the
right circumstances...well, here, let me show you:

---

As the children huddled behind her, their terrified bawling quieted only
by the fatigue that made running not an option even if she could somehow
burst through the wall of flames that surrounded them, she reached under
her robes and pulled out an ancient treasure passed down from her
grandparents. She had never believed their tales of the pokemon from
whose scales this instrument was forged, nor had she deliberately obeyed
their warning to only use it in dire need. Instead, she merely thought
the flute looked tacky, and was unworthy to grace her lips. But now
there was no other hope of survival.

She played. It was a simple, trilling alarm; the tune did not matter,
merely the fact of playing. Or so they said. As the notes faded into
the roar of the encroaching flames, she wondered if she had forgot
something, right up until she heard water crashing.

It should have been impossible. They were easily a mile from the
nearest open water, and the tall, dry grass that towered over their
heads, blocking sight in every direction, gave evidence that no water
currently lay beneath their feet. Yet the sound was unmistakable. It
was the exact sound she had heard every time she went to the beach and
played with her childhood friend, a magikarp she had named Whitecap
after the legendary one.

And now, floating overhead, was the same Whitecap, his red scales
seeming to glow in the light of the fire. He was larger now, easily
thrice her height, proportionately long and wide. As he eclipsed the
moon, he shuddered once, scattering glittering globs of water as if
scattering the moonlight he intercepted. Everywhere the liquid landed,
fire died. One giant drop landed on her and her charges; the shock of
drenching ceased their sobs.

Then he was gone, sailing from view. Only after she lost sight of him
did she regain her senses and seek escape from the blaze - except there
was nothing to escape from. That which had nearly taken their life was
itself utterly extinguished. She gave a silent prayer of thanks as she
felt the flute disentigrate in her still quivering hands, and made a
mental note to return to the beach of her childhood soon.