PW5 DH Freezing Problem, little different than other post.

freew67

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I have a P5W DH with a c2d 6800, ati 1900xt, 2gb ddr 5300, thermal 700w, xp media.

I havent had my entire comp lock up on me where I have to reboot, but it will freeze, for 2-4 secs. I will be typing, and nothing for a few secs, then everything I typed will appear. Seems when this happens while in game, it will freeze the game, but I can close it, and the comp will still be running. Its odd, because when that happens, I cant fully cant close the game. Says game already open. Done spy and virus sweeps, and a defrag. Nothing... any ideas?

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Check that you haven't got too many programs running in the background. Clean out the Start>Programs>startup.
Then look at Task Manager, and get rid of unwanted processes, which could be causing the symptoms you descibed.

Good Luck :D

GhostX

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
With that processor you should be able to have every process and its little brother running with little regard for sluggishness.

I would probally check your memory out. Is it really PC5300? Or is that just what the board is detecting it at? You need to go in and alter the memory clock speed manually in the BIOS if its not.

Its possible you just have a bad stick too. But I would definately look at memory 1st.

freew67

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Im at work, but I still have the box the mem came in at home I will check that. I figured the same thing. With the C2D 6800 these little programs running in the back really should affect much of anything. I looked after the first post and I had 43.

If Im not mistaken, this is it..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820134384

Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit I think... :)

GhostX

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
43 running programs? How old is the build? Is it a barebones build? That is alot of items to be having go on. Do you have personal firewall suites etc? Get the latest windows patches etc?

My work machine has 49 running.. but it has Altiris and all the like. Sounds like you might want to MSCONFIG and clean up your startup/taskbar as well.

But the memory is still my bet. I mean I have a quarter the machine you have here at my office and it is humming right along with almost 50 objects. Granted yours might be a bit more demanding then mine.

You could try a fresh build of windows and only install word to see the results.

But out of curiosity at the price you paid for the Kingston.. why didnt you go for PC800? Your board supports it and its pretty kick butt :)

freew67

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
MEM 1Gx2|KST DII667 KVR667D2N5K2/2G Found an invoice in my email, thats the exact part num and I only paid $162.99 I think is why I bought it.

Are you running a wireless(bluetooth) keyboard?
those are known to lag...

Does sound skip during this time? or is it just the keyboard? have you tried a USB keyboard(USB with a cord?)?

@ the post of 43 processes i have 42 so :p

CCC and Creative stuff wastes allot....time to clean...but for real its hard to bog core 2's/X2's...so i don't think its that.

However i have had odd mouse behavior with a PS2 mouse / KVM system

But the mouse itself was fine....

it may just be my house with the 2 access points and lots of other wifi in the area...then BT hates me......

If you are not running the BT keyboard....then it does not seem to be that.....

Have you have any luck? Is you KB on PS2

octop8

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Out of curiosity, have you got a Creative sound card installed with all of the Creative files loading up at startup? Previously I installed almost everything from the CD that came with the card and some of the items that Creative starts up have memory leak problems and cause lags / freezes in the system. Can't remember which items but I used to have this problem as well where the system would just "stick" or freeze for a couple of seconds after leaving it on for a long time (e.g. overnight). I then uninstalled everything associated with Creative and only used the bare driver from the website and the freezes disappeared. May not be the same problem you have but I thought I should just share my experience.

freew67

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Yes I have a ps2 keyboard? I also have a creative sound card and will try that. Ive waited to post, to see if anything has changed. Seems, SEEMS is the main word, I had some corrupted files in one of my games. So after running the game, my comp was all fubared. New install of game, and comp seems ok, and it hasnt froze in about a week now. Didnt want to jump the gun, no freezing today, then first thing tomorrow have ice on my screen.

So far so good, and thanks everyone for the suggestions.