Pwm fan question

nmw2486

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
Hello all,

I have Googled for 2 days and I'm not quite sure I have found my answer. Just wanted to say that cause I hate lazy people who don't try to find answers before they ask. But I want to have a stand alone 4 pin pwm fan like an EK-vardar on a fan controller. How would I go about this using a 12v dc power supply that plugs into an outlet. I don't see any 4 pin pwn fan contollers out there. Thanks in advance.

Solution
WEll, the short answer is "you can't". Stand-alone fans are usually controlled by reducing the voltage. So a 3-pin fan works. If yo plug a 4-pin PWM fan into a 3-pin header, then the 4th pin that is used for pulse width modulation is simply ignored and the speed can be adjusted by altering the voltage between positive and ground.
WEll, the short answer is "you can't". Stand-alone fans are usually controlled by reducing the voltage. So a 3-pin fan works. If yo plug a 4-pin PWM fan into a 3-pin header, then the 4th pin that is used for pulse width modulation is simply ignored and the speed can be adjusted by altering the voltage between positive and ground.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS