[SOLVED] PWR_LED but not turning on

Mar 28, 2020
So I just built another computer and when I went to power it on...nothing happened except that the motherboard showed this tiny power led. I have a i7 6700 with an asus z170a prime with 16gb gskill ram. SO I pulled everything out to build it outside the case and got the same thing. Also the cooler is a h100i plat. I was up late trying to figure out how to solve this because it has never happened to me before....I really need help.

Solution
Since you say he was an OC'er, the CPU isn't ruled out either. If you want to take the issue any further, you might try picking up the cheapest Celeron on the board's CPU support list that you can find (ebay?), and try it. But returning the board/CPU for a refund would be the wisest of course.

If you go the Celeron route, look for one that uses the earliest BIOS listed so the issue isn't complicated by an old BOIS and newer CPU.

In fact, are you sure the board has a late enough BIOS to even recognize the i7-6700? Was he using that CPU in the board?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If this is the first assembly of these parts, I'd have to assume the board is defective. But, have you tried with nothing connected except CPU/Cooler, RAM, PSU, monitor (to integrated GPU), KB only? Start the system by momentarily shorting the twp pins that the case's power button would connect to. Actually, you could leave the KB out of the picture too.

That would verify that it wasn't one of the peripheral components.

Also, be sure you didn't forget to plug in the cooler fan connector. Been there, done that.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I did try with nothing connected...which showed the same thing...I bought the board used and the guy I think overclocked a lot too...
I see. Yeah, if you can't get the board to work with nothing but the essentials connected, and the board laying on an insulated surface... it almost has to be the board or the CPU. In my exoerience, it's always the board.

Might try a single stick of RAM, trying it in slot after slot in case there is one or more bad DIMM slots causing the issue.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Since you say he was an OC'er, the CPU isn't ruled out either. If you want to take the issue any further, you might try picking up the cheapest Celeron on the board's CPU support list that you can find (ebay?), and try it. But returning the board/CPU for a refund would be the wisest of course.

If you go the Celeron route, look for one that uses the earliest BIOS listed so the issue isn't complicated by an old BOIS and newer CPU.

In fact, are you sure the board has a late enough BIOS to even recognize the i7-6700? Was he using that CPU in the board?

Solution