Daelar

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
Hey there folks, I have recently invested in a Raedon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Card, since I fitted it and plugged it all in I noticed my PWU's fan has stopped spinning, luckily enough I have 6 other fans which keep it cool. I use a XP480 Redwing 480W Rev3 which has been quite faithful to me over the years, it could be linked to how old the PWU is but I was considering buying another one to replace the old.

But I was wondering, could it be that the 6770 is a wee bit power hungry thus meaning that if I did spend money on a new XP480 it'll kill the fan again?

If this might be the case then could someone point me in the right direction for a new PWU please; budget isn't much of an issue but nothing really over £70 I am just a student after all!

Thanks,
Daelar

scottiemedic

Distinguished
To try out your theory, have you unplugged the Radeon and tried powering on your system? Of course you'll get no video, but the fan hypothetically should spin again.

It could have been completely random that the fan went out, the 6770 should only require a 450W power supply, so though you're close, you are 'over the threshold'.

As for what to buy, look for Antec or Corsair, they're doing well these days on their power supply builds.

Daelar

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
I have tried unplugging it; it doesn't spin again so I can only assume that it was on its way out and the power which the 6770 was asking for gave it that final boot out the door.

Thanks for the help Scottie, I shall take a look at what Antec/Corsair have to offer.

Daelar