Pyrun.exe False Positive?

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
So, while I was installing Ubuntu on my netbook with Wubi, AVG pops up and flags "pyrun.exe" as malware. Is this a false positive or really malware? Thanks in advance!

Solution
Its probably being detected because of its ability to install onto the bootsector of the harddrive, a thing that malware would do as well. I'd say its a true detection of 'malicious' code, if your living in the windows only world :) To install linux its perfectly fine. Be sure that you download it from a trusted source. If your really worried, see if there is a CRC32 code you can use to verify the integrity of the downloaded file, then install without concern.

Downloading the file and scanning again will get you the same warnings.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
It is probably a false positive, as they wouldn't distribute malware with Ubuntu. It is possible that it has been tampered with, but I doubt that. You can easily check: download another virus/malware scanner, and see if that is happy with it or not.

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Its probably being detected because of its ability to install onto the bootsector of the harddrive, a thing that malware would do as well. I'd say its a true detection of 'malicious' code, if your living in the windows only world :) To install linux its perfectly fine. Be sure that you download it from a trusted source. If your really worried, see if there is a CRC32 code you can use to verify the integrity of the downloaded file, then install without concern.

Downloading the file and scanning again will get you the same warnings.

Solution