Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2019
So these last few weeks i have been learning some python3 , just the languange you know , variables , functions etc and i cant help to ask myself , once i have a good understanding and knowledge of python , what and how am i going to do any useful. I have been watching some vids , what you can do with python and they all say , machine learning , web development , and data science .. but how ? how am i going to apply python and do these ?I just dont get it , do i start writing some code in my IDE or what ? Some people say to download some apps i guess , i dont really know what they are , like , Django , or flask .Like how am i supposed to create a website using python? Do i run my Pycharm ( IDE ) and start thinking of ways to write a code that will be able to create a whole website or what ?
Anyways my main problem is that i dont know how to apply my python knowledge i guess , some help maybe ?

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
You're the young kid (like 16 IIRC) that was worried about the future and how much math you will need and stuff right? I don't intend for that to come off in an acrid tone, just asking because at that age you're kind of putting the cart before the horse. Firstly, at your age people rarely ever develop the kind of stuff you're referring to alone or while not employed somewhere, and almost rarely ever with ONE language (i.e. solely with python). It's good to know the basics of lots of different languages/development tools, but programming/developing isn't simply: "Ok now I'm proficient with the basics of Flash, time to start making smartphone apps"... unless you want to make extremely basic, tic-tac-toe games or whatever.

Like Mandark said, get proficient with different languages (or just one, if python is what you really want to focus on) and apply for jobs, or better yet, if you plan on doing secondary education: internships

In your free time you could look up python or other object oriented practice problems and work them from all different angles. Find a solution, then see if you can refine it using different/cleaner/condensed syntax, etc. For example, look up the "Josephus Problem" and figure out code that will give you the answer for a given input "n". Honestly, once you have strong problem solving abilities and you can find multiple different solutions to a problem, THAT's the key to programming, not being an expert in one single language

Last edited:
Reactions: RyukKanji
Aug 25, 2019
You're the young kid (like 16 IIRC) that was worried about the future and how much math you will need and stuff right? I don't intend for that to come off in an acrid tone, just asking because at that age you're kind of putting the cart before the horse. Firstly, at your age people rarely ever develop the kind of stuff you're referring to alone or while not employed somewhere, and almost rarely ever with ONE language (i.e. solely with python). It's good to know the basics of lots of different languages/development tools, but programming/developing isn't simply: "Ok now I'm proficient with the basics of Flash, time to start making smartphone apps"... unless you want to make extremely basic, tic-tac-toe games or whatever.

Like Mandark said, get proficient with different languages (or just one, if python is what you really want to focus on) and apply for jobs, or better yet, if you plan on doing secondary education: internships

In your free time you could look up python or other object oriented practice problems and work them from all different angles. Find a solution, then see if you can refine it using different/cleaner/condensed syntax, etc. For example, look up the "Josephus Problem" and figure out code that will give you the answer for a given input "n". Honestly, once you have strong problem solving abilities and you can find multiple different solutions to a problem, THAT's the key to programming, not being an expert in one single language
thanks a lot for answering and be sure that i will do all that , also i wanna thank you as well for your help it means a lot to me :D

Aug 25, 2019
well, you have to learn about what it is you might like to do. such as, would you like to host an interactive website? if yes, learn how to set it up and integrate python to do the application stuff. You need to think of things to do.

I use it to automate software testing. You have to install Python to your computer before you can write anything that works. go to Python.org and read the documentation, do the exercises and make sure you get the same results, and if not, why not. do the beinners guide AND the developers guide.

If you can't think of ways to use it then perhaps programming isn't your forte

https://www.python.org/

once you can do some stuff, apply for jobs in the field. Python pays quite well.

my all-time favorite editor is Sublime Text 3 with which you can install ALL kinds of plugins to run your scripts from the editor and capture the output. Their Git client is pretty descent, but I have not found it more usefull than Sourcetree when using it with our source control

just set up an Apache website on your box, then you can get it working. Challenge, make you r site host an all code python calculator (I bet they share a script on the web for this--and then get it running on your Apache server), then add a calendar, get some practical experience doing useful things you might be asked to do for a job

in school i did a news page that got stories from other sites and aggregated them and sorted and dynamcially created the users view, you can pretty much do anything you can think of with it. I use it for automation testing with pytest

you have basic CSS/HTML/XML website and such, and you can run python scripts in code, based on events that you are tracking, or displaying data from a database or spreadsheet, etc... you integrate the python stuff into your web pages. you can write full applicaitons using it though that run native on the os

USE GOOGLE SEARCH to search your questions. All will become apparent. We are not going to spoon feed you

READ THIS!! https://editrocket.com/articles/python_apache_windows.html
Oke thanks a lot for the answer , i will look into some bigger projects to do in the next 2-3 months and i will add making a website in them as well ( challenge accepted :p ) , thanks again mate

D

Deleted member 14196

once you learn Python well and understand how everything works, it's not much effort to learn other languages.

Reactions: Ralston18
Status
Not open for further replies.