Q-Code 00 then Red Cpu light boot/crash cycle

testedhorse

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
My current problem is that after I turn on the computer, I get a red cpu light shortly before the computer crashes and power stops- before the process restarts and it turns back on on its own. About an hour before this, the computer was at least staying on, just not posting and displaying a q-code 00.

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
Cpu: i7 6700k
Ram: Corsair Vengeance (4x8gb) 3000mhz
PSU: Corsair RM 750i
GPU: 980 ti

I've had the computer for about a year and about a week ago got the same issue- error code 00, not posting. I replaced the CPU cooler and it seemed to work fine for about a week until today. I've tried removing the GPU, trying all slots of Ram, cmos, bios. I've looked online and followed most of the suggestions online, and nothing seems to work leading me to believe my cpu, my motherboard, or my psu have somehow died.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks!

When you replaced the Cooler, Did you inspect the CPU socket for bent pins. It takes only a single pin to be misaligned or bent down to give a 00 Qcode and as your CPU led on the MB comes on then I think this may be your issue.
As Qcode 00 is not documented it is usually recognized as a hardware fault and is sometimes difficult to trace without breadboarding as it can also be an intermittent short from the MB standoffs.

Open up the side of the system case.

With the motherboard you have for each section of it you have a red Led light that will light up and stay a solid lit red color if there is a problem with any hardware fitted to the motherboard.

There is one for the Pci-e card slot of the motherboard.
Another for the Cpu fitted to the cpu socket of the motherboard.
One for the memory modules fitted to the motherboard.

And one for the boot able drive that you have the working windows os installed on.

Any one as I said of the Led light lit a solid tells you the problem along with the error code produced is what you need to look at.

For example, don`t quote me on this but 00 should mean the board passed all of the bios tests.
But it can mean that the hard drive or SSD boot device with windows on it has failed to be detected or no boot partition or boot able os was found on it.

Check the Sata data cable from the drive to the motherboard making sure both ends are connected firmly.
And that you have power also connected to the boot drive.

Go into the bios setup of the motherboard, and make sure the Sata ports of the motherboard are set to AHCI mode as the interface mode.

Next if ithe board is Uefi capable.
Make sure you are in the advanced bios setup options mode.

Look for the page with CSM mode, making sure it is enabled.
Bellow it select the hardware detection and boot detection options to Legacy / Uefi as the mode.

In the boot order list from 1 to 6 devices set the drive with windows os installed on it to be the first boot device.
Then scroll down the page.

You will see another two entries for boot able hardware or disk drives be it HDD or SSD drives.

Set the drive once again that has the windows OS installed on it to the 1. boot order out of the two provided.

Save all the changes you have made in the bios before you exit it.

If correct then the system should start to boot from the drive with windows os installed on it hopefully resolving your problem tested horse.

I know because I have had to do the exact same thing to get the system to boot from the main boot device with windows installed on it.

Basically it cannot find or see the boot able partition on the drive till you make all of the changes I have told you about above ok.

The MB when power is switched on goes thru a post (Power on Self test) cycle. It is during post that Qcodes are displayed. post will not continue till the error condition is rectified and the system will not boot.
There are four LEDs on the MB that you need to be concerned with and they are: (page 1-23 in your manual)

1. Boot Device LED (Flashes orange and stays lit till rectified)
2. VGA LED (Flashes white and stays lit till rectified)
3 Dram LED (Flashes yellow and stays lit till rectified)
4 CPU LED (Flashes red and stays lit till rectified)

A Qcode reading 00 with the CPU_LED lit indicates a CPU hardware issue.

testedhorse

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

Yeah my red led is for the cpu specifically, and none of the other ones are lighting up.

testedhorse

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

After leaving it unplugged all night, the CPU_LED is now not displaying, and it is not automatically shutting off/restarting, but it is still not posting and just displaying code 00.