Q: Laptops with >4GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam_j_bradley

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
I'm traveling more and more and wind up doing more work (and prep) on planes and was wondering if any of the new Penryn based laptops will allow us to address > 4GB. I know it seems silly, but 8 VMs are RAM hungry!

8GB would do just fine!

Thanks in advance.
Adam

PS: First post, please go easy on me!

adam_j_bradley

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
I had a look at each of these machines, couldn't see that they support more than 4GB of RAM. I'm after something that supports at least 8GB, preferably 12GB/16GB.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Adam

It's all limited by the chipset. The current best chipset offered on Intel based units it the PM965 and it only supports a max of 4gbs. I believe the AMD chipsets are the same way. Sorry, but I think you are short on luck.

Yeah the Intel site is where I got my info from. Not sure when/ if Intel will release a new chipset since the 965 is fairly new (summer 07). Possibly with the upcoming Clarksfield and Auburndale CPUs in 2009.

From looking around, I doubt it will. It looks like it's 3 biggest upgrades will be a higher FSB (1067), DDR3 support (probably enthusiast level only) and the new wirelss module named "shiloh" which I know nothing about.

As a side note, I want a Penryn! :(

edit: looking at the two articles I read about it, Montevina was supposed to be released at the end of 07. Is it already in use or was it canceled/delayed? Anyone know?

I agree. If prices for DDR3 were lower it might be worth it, but at the moment, I'm not sure the performance is there. Yay Intel for trying to force another standard on us.

Status
Not open for further replies.