Q: redundant uplinks between gigabit switches?

Hello all!

My question is about coupling desktop class gigabit switches with
autouplink ports (like Netgear GS608 or D-Link DGS-1005D).

I have 3 rooms each with 3-5 PCs in. Is it possible to place a desktop
switch (like the ones above) in each room and have them interconnected
via the normal autouplink-ports?

How about a "full connection", I mean each switch uplinking to both
other switches. (A to B , B to C and C back to A)

Will this give connection redundancy and better performance in any
way? Or will it help me in case that any one uplink cable fails or
gets disconnected?

Or will it mess up traffic somehow if there are more than 1 way from
switch A to C (once directly via cable and once via switch B)?

Well I will have no VLANs and all PCs will be in the same IP subnet.
No NETBIOS used.

Hopefully my question will not be too confuse ;o)

Thanks in advance,

Michael

In article <1atob1hi0vok1fi89nig5gpfb3nq56a993@4ax.com>,
Michael Zach <michael.zach@gmx.at> wrote:
:My question is about coupling desktop class gigabit switches with
:autouplink ports (like Netgear GS608 or D-Link DGS-1005D).

:How about a "full connection", I mean each switch uplinking to both
:eek:ther switches. (A to B , B to C and C back to A)

:Will this give connection redundancy and better performance in any
:way? Or will it help me in case that any one uplink cable fails or
:gets disconnected?

:Or will it mess up traffic somehow if there are more than 1 way from
:switch A to C (once directly via cable and once via switch B)?

In order to prevent link problems, the feature you need to look for is
Spanning Tree.

A rule of thumb is that nearly all managed switches support Spanning Tree, and
most unmanaged switches do not.

The Netgear GS608 documentation makes no reference at all to supporting
Spanning Tree, so it probably does not support it.

The D-Link DGS-1005D manual mentions Spanning Tree (STP) in the glossary but
nowhere else, so it likely does not support it either.
--
The rule of thumb for speed is:

1. If it doesn't work then speed doesn't matter. -- Christian Bau