Q6600 B3 steppings => temp's too hot?

wooodman

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Hi everybody,

I have a newly-purchased Acer desktop with a Q6600 (2.4GHz) with B3 steppings. I installed and fired up Everest and it gives the following info on my core temps:

Core 1: 56C
Core 2: 57C
Core 3: 55C
Core 4: 49C

All of this is during normal use - ie. web surfing and such, not into heavy gaming.

Truthfully I don't know much about what's acceptable / unacceptable regarding CPU temps, but this seems a bit high to me. Could somebody please advise? And if they are excessive, what can I do about it?

Thanks in advance!

Those temps appear to be way too high under normal use. My idle temp on speedfan is like 26C at 75F room temp.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Several retailers are shipping the B3 when you order Q6600 and I don't think they will allow customers to request the G0 shipping. I don't want to risk it then so I wonder if it makes sense to buy E6750 or E6850.

What do you guys think?

I could have used the Quad Core (doing video stuff) but I don't want to worry about heat and needing to buy an expensive heatsink to cool a B3 chip.

The q6600 has no heat problems. You are misinformed if you think the chip runs hot. My q6600 idles at 25c at 75f room tempature. I have been running the q6600 since March. It is the coolest running chip I have ever owned and by far.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007

How am I misinformed? Many people are talking about the heat and the problems overclocking (although, that is not what I wanted it for). It's 105 watts v.s. 65 watts for the G0 stepping E6x50 chips. Unless, you can get the G0 stepping Q6600, it runs hot (and it's only a reduction of 10 watts so you still need good air cooling and thus, a good heatsink). If that is not true, then a lot of people are saying false things.

easymoney9

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
If that Acer is using the stock heatsink I would change it out for a heatsink that has heatpipes. I just got my Q6600 with the B3 stepping yesterday. I am using a Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro heatsink with mine and Artic Silver 5 thermal paste. My core with the lowest temp is 38 at idle using Coretemp to monitor the temps. My highest temp core is 44 at idle and the temps should drop a little more after the AS5 breaks in. I got my Freezer 7 Pro at Directron for 20 bucks with free shipping. You dont have to remove the motherboard to replace the heatsink and it will probably take you about ten minutes to swap it out if you have any experience with building your own computer. The heatsink even comes with MX1 thermal paste pre applied! I always use AS5 thermal paste but the MX1 paste is supposed to be pretty good also. Finally I apply my thermal paste to the whole top of the cpu. I find the instructions at the Artic Silver website (put a line of paste down the middle of the cpu) doesn't give enough enough coverage to these multicore cpus.

Your are terribly misinformed. The people who have problems with heat are the ones jacking the unit's voltage around, twisting the FSB to 500 mhz. and generally pushing their components beyond their means. You get the posts, "Is my temp too high at 500 mhz fsb?" "Hi, I increased the vcore to 1.75v and my system is not stable?" "Is the stock heatsink good enough if I plan to run my q6600 beyond 3.3?" "Is burning silicone something I should recognize immediately...I smell something at 1.8v?"

There is no problem whatsoever with heat regarding the Q6600. Your worries are for not. You are concerned with fables. Over concerned is the operative word. Not buying a Q6600 because of heat issues is really misinformed thinking.

I am very busy, if you look at the task bar at the bottom of the screenshot of my current desktop you will see the part of the maybe 2 dozen tasks I was doing when this was taken. In adition, I have a slingbox running and watching Dish network. Notice my temps. Temps are of absolutely NO concern with my Q6600. Never have been. I could not be more pleased with my system. Heat is a non issue.

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/7897/dtopvista3227br8.jpg

Running since March '07, idles at 29C multitasking two dozen functions at once.

Q6600
ASUS P5B-Deluxe
G. Skill PC6400 4GB 4-4-4-12
EVGA 7900GTO 512 MB
WD 150 SATA RAPTOR Vista HP 32
WD 74 SATA RAPTOR Windows XP PRO
WD 250 SATA storage
ASUS DVD-ROM
ASUS DVD-RW Lightscribe
Thermaltake 700 watt quad 12v rail PSU
Thermaltake Mozart tower
Thermaltake media Lab Led Remote control
Zalman 9500 Led HSF
Audigy 2 Soundblaster
Boston Acoustics
Pinnacle Studio 9 PCI
Slingbox Pro Digital Sattelite
BenQ 22” LCD

Vista Experience rating is 5.9.

I dabble for years overclocking my builds. It is funny to say, but I have never even overclocked my q6600. I was thrilled and complete total smiles when I dropped in the q6600 replacing the e6600 C2D. This is a great machine. It will be very hard to resist Penryn. You know...Intel may end up breaking anti-trust laws trying to patent this latest round of processors. Really nice system.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Well...I have a B3 stepping Q6600 running on an MSI P6N SLI-FI motherboard with stock cooling, stock settings (no overclocking). According to the BIOS hardware monitor, my temps are around 46C idle, whereas my old E6600 (again, stock everything) was around 42C idle...

wooodman

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Thanks for your replies guys,

I don't know what kind of cooling system the 'puter is using, I'm guessing it's stock based on the attractive pricing. A few more questions:

My core with the lowest temp is 38 at idle using Coretemp to monitor the temps. My highest temp core is 44 at idle and the temps should drop a little more after the AS5 breaks in.

Ok that's heartening, those temp's aren't THAT much lower than the temp's I'm getting so I have some hope to achieve those numbers with better cooling (hopefully).

What did you mean by "the temps should drop a little more after the AS5 breaks in"? Why would temp's improve over time?

Also, is it possible that I am getting incorrect temperature readings? I have no clue where these temperature sensors are located - I'm assuming they are sitting directly on each core - but I dunno. Is there a way to test whether the temp readings I'm getting are accurate? Or should I just accept the readings?

Thanks again for your help!

antec900

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
I find it ironic that the one in the thread calling others misinformed is boasting about a 26C idle temp using Speedfan without realizing the temps it reports are 15C lower than actual. Priceless!

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

That depends on which DTS he's reading from, core temps are always 15C higher than the IHS temp. When Badge said idles at 26C he was talking about Tcase not Tjunction. Core temp = Tjunction and IHS temp = Tcase.

foste

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007

I must disagree. When you look at your CPU utilization it's very low. It's not drawing anywhere near its 105w upper limit. It's the coolest CPU you've ever owned because it's over powered for it's current use. This is a nice thing to finally say about a computer system (long time in coming).

I'm replacing a Pentium D950 with a Q6600 next Wednesday. My application (virtual server R2) will be using all 4 cores at 100% for up to 1/2 an hour. To combat the 105w draw I'm installing a big cooler:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835702002 I'll let you know the temps by the end of next week.

The reason for the new cooler is that I'm currently using a pound of copper and a 42CFM fan on the Pentium D950. With this heat sink its still had two thermal events in the last couple months. The old D840 had a 109+ CFM fan (a tornado, nosey as heck) and was only 2 degrees away from giving me thermal events. It was fine when there was only one core running or had a slight spill over into the second core. However when it ran at 100% for 45 minutes it lead to problems.

The D840 had a 130 watt draw at 100% for both CPU's the 6600 only has 105 so I'm hopeful that the cooler above will easily handle it....

By the way does any one have a thought about this cooler before I spend the big $$?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

It might heat you room up a little, this cooler shovels heat out!

I must disagree.

There is not a heat issue with the Q6600. You don't even own a Q6600 so disagree with someone else.

When you look at your CPU utilization it's very low.

I have pushed my CPU very hard and I have no problem whatsoever with heat. Your generalizations make no sense. In fact, you make no sense whatsoever.

It's not drawing anywhere near its 105w upper limit.

If It was, I would have no problem with heat.

It's the coolest CPU you've ever owned because it's over powered for it's current use.

What. MY current use? What the hell do you know about MY current use? Absolutely nothing is what you know. I have been in private business for more than 20 years and own and have custom built dozens of computers. You don't know the first thing about MY use of computers? I am stepping into the world of digital X-ray, producing x-ray images with components that I'm sure you would not have any idea what system would work best and what system would not and for that matter what 'powered' anything properly as you put it.

This is a nice thing to finally say about a computer system (long time in coming).

What? I have seven or eight computer running in perfect order in my home? I'm sorry, there is a misunderstanding?

I'm replacing a Pentium D950 with a Q6600 next Wednesday. My application (virtual server R2) will be using all 4 cores at 100% for up to 1/2 an hour. To combat the 105w draw I'm installing a big cooler:

Great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?it em=N82E16835702002 I'll let you know the temps by the end of next week.

Your temps are irrelevant to me. I have no problem with my temps. I know what to do if I have high temps. Thanks.

The reason for the new cooler is that I'm currently using a pound of copper and a 42CFM fan on the Pentium D950.

Heavy.

With this heat sink its still had two thermal events in the last couple months.

Wow.

The old D840 had a 109+ CFM fan (a tornado, nosey as heck) and was only 2 degrees away from giving me thermal events.

Ever thought about case design and airflow? A good 120mm case fan installed in the right configuratioin can lower your temps significantly.

It was fine when there was only one core running or had a slight spill over into the second core. However when it ran at 100% for 45 minutes it lead to problems.

PSU?

The D840 had a 130 watt draw at 100% for both CPU's the 6600 only has 105 so I'm hopeful that the cooler above will easily handle it....

The cooler will be fine despite it weight, it's the rest of the cooling you surround it with that matters at that point. The stock fan that comes with the Q6600 would cool your processor if you don't overclock. Intel warranties the processor for 3 years with it. My stock Q6600 cools my Pentium D 925 just fine and I overclock the pants off that same as I do My Pentium D Smithfield 805 D. I have near a 1 GHZ overclock on that everyday for more than year with little more than a stock fan.

By the way does any one have a thought about this cooler before I spend the big $$?[/quotemsg]

I think a Zaman 9600/9700 can be had for $59 on Newegg. I have no problem with heat and I rarely turn my system off since March. I get plenty of use out of it.

foste

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
What. MY current use? What the hell do you know about MY current use? Absolutely nothing is what you know. I have been in private business for more than 20 years and own and have custom built dozens of computers. You don't know the first thing about MY use of computers? I am stepping into the world of digital X-ray, producing x-ray images with components that I'm sure you would not have any idea what system would work best and what system would not and for that matter what 'powered' anything properly as you put it.

My understanding comes from your screen capture. As you know it showed a usage under 11% . I'd be very interested to see the heat after a few minutes with 100% on all four cores. If your heat is still low then I'd follow your advice about the less expensive heat sink. I'd like to save the $70 nice to be able to aford a movie or two.

Ever thought about case design and airflow? A good 120mm case fan installed in the right configuratioin can lower your temps significantly.

Yes, I replaced the case as well. It didn't stop the thermal events. I then moved it to the basement of my house (which I work out of) It still had thermal events... The 800 series was not intended for 100% use on both cores. (This was an expensive lession)

It was fine when there was only one core running or had a slight spill over into the second core. However when it ran at 100% for 45 minutes it lead to problems.

PSU?

I'm a bit lost on this comment, are you saying that a different power supply would improve a CPU's heat problems?

My stock Q6600 cools my Pentium D 925 just fine and I overclock the pants off that same as I do My Pentium D Smithfield 805 D. I have near a 1 GHZ overclock on that everyday for more than year with little more than a stock fan.

I want to make sure I understand you correctly. You are running both cores at 100% for five minutes or more? (Also the 925 only as a 95w consumption, it's a bit lower then the Q6600 or the 8xx)

I think a Zaman 9600/9700 can be had for $59 on Newegg. I have no problem with heat and I rarely turn my system off since March. I get plenty of use out of it.

I had considered this, however the big improvement with the TEC is that is works very well even with a high ambient temperature.

My understanding comes from your screen capture.

You are making too many assumptions and drawing too many erroneous conclusions from my screen capture. I have been building systems for a while now. When you install your processor next week I doubt very seriously you will get the kind of temps I am able to achieve. Even under 105w load, the Q6600 has no problems. The Q6700 draws 130w. If you read my posts, I said sure, "If you run the voltage up you are going to get heat." Doesn't the QX6800 run four cores without 'MELTING". You may be a nice guy, but you are obsessed with wattage a cpu draws and the idea a chip manfacturer like Intel doesn't know WHAT they are doing. What heat? The Q6600 runs exceptionally cool for the 105w it draws.

As you know it showed a usage under 11%

At 99% usage the temps would be well within the chip's stated specs.

I'd be very interested to see the heat after a few minutes with 100% on all four cores.

I have 14 case fans in my system. Eleven 120 mm fans for starters. I'm sincerely curious, how many do you have in your 950? First intake, then exhaust for starters.

If your heat is still low then I'd follow your advice about the less expensive heat sink.

The Zalman 9500/9700 are solid hsf's. I use 5 of them currently. q6600, e6600, 4800x2, amd64 3700, fx55. All are doing an admirable job keeping my systems cool every day.

I'd like to save the $70 nice to be able to aford a movie or two.

Buy gold with it and go to the movies all month when your 73.

Yes, I replaced the case as well. It didn't stop the thermal events.

Recently, My ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe started crashing and restarting periodiocally. Thermal event I though at first. I took off the overclock for starters, ran at BIOS default. Problem persisted. I added an exhaust pci blower and a 90 mm fan directly over the dual 16 x NB. I moved the soundcard to better vent the second 7800GT. Still getting periodic system crashes/restarts. I noticed the Enermax 525w 18/18 amp 12v psu was breathing fire. I swapped it out for a 680w 22/24 amp 12v. I have not had a single problem with the system since, it runs almost 24/7. All the cooling tidbits I did improved the temps all around on probably the most notorious chipset/board ever manufactured where excessive heat is involved.

The 800 series was not intended for 100% use on both cores. (This was an expensive lession)
I'm a bit lost on this comment, are you saying that a different power supply would improve a CPU's heat problems?

A hot, underamped PSU will definately cause excessive heat on any system. Simple fact.

I want to make sure I understand you correctly. You are running both cores at 100% for five minutes or more?

I have never had any problem whatsoever with heat on this machine. Are you familiar with Pinnacle Studio software. I copy VHS tape onto an internal HD, edit it and burn DVD's of the finished product. My system works so well I never thought to check the temps. I trust the 'guys' :sarcastic: at Intel to insure the q6600 is capable of running at 100% for at least 5 minutes. Without failing if you are asking.

I had considered this but the big improvement with the TEC is that is works very well even with a high ambient temperature.

This conversation caused me to search around the net around the forums and Intel, and I really don't see where the average q6600 owner is experiencing any 'defect' with their processors. I do read 3.2 ghz is about as far as the processor will clock. You think heat is the only issue causing this? Not on your life. It's not a fair comparison, but I have two 2.4 ghz. AMD processors running currently. A 4800 X2 (in the A8n32SLI I mentioned) and an AMD64 2.4 Newcastle. Neither will clock near 3.0 GHZ. The closest I have to an AMD processor running at 3 ghz. is an FX55 at 2.8+ (don't wan't to shortchange it, it's a great processor). My point is this. When you get your q6600 and drop it in and fire it up, you will be so happy overclocking it might not occur to you for days. Well an hour anyway.

bazza

Distinguished
May 9, 2004
i installed a half-decent cooler and got 62C full loading on all 4 cores

the case already had a 120mm exhaust fan and 80mm front fan

all I did was add an extra 80mm side panel exhaust(right on top of the CPU FAN) and a makeshift 100mm fan in the 5 1/4 slots blowing at the PSU

now my temps are 57C Full loading and 46C Idle

oh the case temps are around 42C with Room temp around 32C

everyone blurting cpu temps must blurt the room / case temp also coz if u live in an igloo your cpu temp maybe below zero :p

when I get home and turn on airconditioning Full load around 50C

e6300 was a cool cpu, e6600 is not a cool cpu,, q6600 is 2x e6600?

If your cooler is a snap on like the stock Intel cooler, they are notorious for not seating properly. I use several and I have the best luck installing them by carefully lining up the feet to the MB holes then securing the post horizontally. Left front, then right rear, then right front, then left rear post for example. They can be tricky getting them fully seated. The temps will drop dramatically with a properly seated HSF as opposed to an incorrectly seated version. Artic Silver 5 works well for me.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Thats why I like the TT 120 cause you can adjust the pressure at four different points and how tight also.