Q6600 B3 steppings => temp's too hot?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

airblazer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Anyone running Speedfan add 15c to your temps...It's way off..the only ones that are accurate are Coretemp and Intel TAT which doesn't work on quad cores.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Your completely mix up. There are three DTS (digital thermal senser) one in each core, and one inbetween both cores on the processer die. The one inbetween the cores in known as IHS (integrated heat spreader) and is always 15C cooler than the core temps. The core temps are always 15C hotter than the one inbetween the cores. So we have CPU temp and core temp. Right now my CPU temp is 26C & core temp is 35C x 2. Hope this clears things up.

airblazer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
aahh..that makes sense..but surely the core temp is more important..a lot of ppl mistake the cpu temp for the coretemp and think their cpu is running nice and cool at say 30c when in actualy fact it's 45c

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Core temps is way more accurate, I don't even look at CPU temps anymore as they have been known to give false readings.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006

...OTOH, my "system" temp (probably motherboard) was around 55C idle...

That could be one (or both) of two things, I would think:

1) The P6N SLI-FI's passive cooling heat sink
2) The 8800GTS adding its own temp to the mix

airblazer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Lap the heatsink and cpu.
I did it to my Q6700 and temps dropped about 9c idle.
Was running at about 46c and now running at 37c idle..

ejay

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004

f rom bazza: "all I did was add an extra 80mm side panel exhaust(right on top of the CPU FAN) and a makeshift 100mm fan in the 5 1/4 slots blowing at the PSU"

The side panel CAG opening is designed to vent air down onto the processor/HSF. If you will reverse the side panel fan so that it is directing air down onto the processor/HSF, instead of exhausting, you might see a significant affect in lowering your temps. Just a thought...if I am interpreting correctly your message.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Running EITHER the B3 or GO stepping under stock cooling from intel and stock setings will be just fine. GO better off, but it'll all still be fine.

My case atm until I upgrade is pretty crap so im still getting 2 cheap 120mm fans to put on it, just to help.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Also because you have exposed the copper instead of the nickle plating. I lapped both mine to and even made a bigger difference in load temps to.

localcpuguy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
I'm hoping to help end this discussion... the Q6600 DOES indeed run hot. I ordered a Koolance EXOS-2 water-cooling kit with this processor and it still runs around 40C@ 3GHz. Overclocked some more with bigger VCORE voltage increase, and she gets up there! I never actually checked it out with stock Intel fan, but it seems to me that 40C H2O-Cooled in a room that's 75F is a little warm. @ 3.6-3.65GHz with 1.525v, I've exited a game and checked my ASUS probe to see it bouncing off the 55-60C mark.

Does anyone know of any temperature logging programs? ASUS Probe will give me real-time results, but won't actually log. Also, what is the safe temp for this processor? Thanks.

For all the wasted time, hassle and money you will spend with that problematic watercooled system of yours, you could have simply bought a QX6850 and ran it stock in a micro case with the stock heatsink/fan. If you had read this thread before posting you would know clocking your cpu to 3 ghz is causing all your heat, not the inherent heat of the processor. The processor runs exceptionally cool if you not a clod overvolting your entire system and complaining how hot it runs. Try using your computer for something useful, like running a business or for school and enjoy it. Read the threads before posting in the future. 3.65 ghz? Heat is aproblem? Duh.

localcpuguy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
I know that voltage and FSB increases are causing the heat, but the processor stock will put out some heat for people too; there are peopel running Zalman and Thermaltake fans and still getting temps in the 50C range with no overclock.

Giving you the benefeit of the doubt, and not assuming your ignorant enough to make the statement you did about my water-cooling system, I'd guess you have viable information against it. You must infact know that the next time I build a computer I may just have to get a different waterblock... So I'm trying to figure why it was a waste of money? Especially seeing that I build a new computer every 6-12months. I won't have this processor long enough for it to burn up. Now, if you have something agaist Koolance (which some people do), DELETED
http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=2 05
http://www.hardocp.co m/article.html?art=NzYy
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=154

3.65 ghz? I have not seen any printed reports of a Q6600 running beyond 3.2 to 3.4 stable. DELETED

Q6600 at 3.65 ghz., heat IS an issue with the q6600.

localcpuguy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
I didn't refer to you as stupid, I said ignorant- Meaning: Not knowing. I provided information for you to support my water-cooling since you bashed it.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

It does seems that you are trying to hijack this thread by your statement above. Its not up to you to end anything! From reading your post it seems that you haven't even read the OP post.

it seems to me that 40C H2O-Cooled in a room that's 75F is a little warm. @ 3.6-3.65GHz with 1.525v, I've exited a game and checked my ASUS probe to see it bouncing off the 55-60C mark.

1.100V-1.372V is mfg. specs.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9UM

You spent how much for your Q6600 and watercooling system? And you have a heat problem and will spend more trying to compensate for the shortcomings of the system you built. I said, you could have bought a QX6850 and run at 3.0 ghz with the stock fan in a micro case for less than what you will spend on your current build not to mention all the time and trouble you have invested presently.

There is no published information confirming a Q6600 has been tested running stable at 3.65 ghz as you claim on your first post on the Forumz. 3.4 GHZ is rumored and 3.2 is tops. Bashing your water cooling? Thanks for defining ignorant.

So is safe to assume that you are ignorant of Rivatuner then? :heink:

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

You must be new to computers if you don't know of Core Temp, Speed Fan, TAT and Everest.

randomizer

Champion
*Sigh*

2 cores vs 4 cores, duh, of course it uses more power. It still runs cool relative to the E6x50, imagine if it had 2 extra cores like the Q6600.

No way! It gets hot with a bigger vcore. :heink: And you blame the chip for you pumping more power through it? :pfff:

EDIT: Oh yea, OP, your temps are high.

RayRay24

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
I just built my system over a week ago and checked the core temps today. I was not pleased.

At STOCK VALUES my system temps are as follows:

Core 0: 74C
Core 1: 70C
Core 2: 55C
Core 3: 59C

This are idle temps, my friends, and they are WAY too high. I reseated the fan/heatsink, which is the standard one. I am desperate for help on this issue.

Note: On occasion, my computer does not boot correctly and upon reset it says there is a CMOS checksum error. I'm relatively sure these two problems are related, but don't know what that problem is.

I think this is a power supply issue, but if it could be something else, I would appreciate any suggestions before I return and buy another PSU.

My system setup as follows:

Core 2 Duo Quad Q6600
ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus Motherboard
OCZ (2 x 1G) DDR2 PC-800 Platinum Memory
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB Video
Coolermaster Centurion 5 Case
Sparkle B204 400W PSU

Thanks
-Ray

vylo

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Are your voltages set correctly? Just a thought. I have a QX6700 and my temps are running close to that, likely because my fan is loose :/

RayRay24

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
I am using the BIOS defaults, so the voltages should be fine. Even if I do lower the CPU VCore Voltage, the temps are still too high.