Q6600 B3 steppings => temp's too hot?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Localpuppy - Tat, SpeedFan, and Coretemp all allow temp logging.

Just my observation on temps.
No heat sink is 100% effecient, some come close
The air temp blowing on across the heat sink cooling block is a function of ambient temp, fan Nr. (as it relates to total cfm) and case design. since cooling is related to airflow, And the temp differential of the air and the HS. An increase of 1C should equate to approx 1.5 C increase in CPU temp. Example - My room temp is about 25 C, But the air blowing across my HS is about 29 C ( poor case design, Intake at front blows across 3 Heaters (HDD's) NOTE: My case temps are measured using a thermistor located approx 2 inches directly behind the HSF.
As far as accuracy goes - on my LOWLY E6400 (@3.2 G) on a gigabyte 965 DQ6, TAT, Coretemp, and Speed fan all read within 1 -> 2 C of each other. None have a 15 C difference from System temp. It is based on the algorthm (some software uses a lookup table), and the value (normally in counts) the mother board send to the software program ( Although an ET, I have written software to translate J-K thermistors to temp for Units under test in thermal Vacumn chambers.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007

Obviously, because I have given so much information about what I do and what I know. Wait, I haven't said a thing about me besides my coretemps. I think there is a good badge response for this...

"what I know about what I'm doing? What the hell do you know about what I'm doing? Absolutely nothing is what you know."

hmmmph... Jump on people for assuming, but a free pass to assume on your own. Why are you so hostile?

gooman

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007

I gotta find the link, ...but go into ExtremeSystems Forum and check out XtremeTiramisu's post on his OC of a GO stepped Q6600. He achieved over 3.7 GHz stable and stress tested (that was air cooled BTW). He probably has one of the earliest GO version of the Quad that came out; and maybe he just got lucky with a very good chip; but the results speak for themselves.

I think you'll be seeing plenty of people achieving OCs of 3.2 or better using the GO stepped version of the Quad. Doesn't seem like it's going to be too unusual.

I'll look for the link and post.

Just for reference....you temps are hot but not yet dangerous

They should fall if you enable speedstep in your bios and set you computer power profile to portable/laptop. This will cause your cpu to slow down when its not in use. So you get lower temps and a quieter system.

Also note that speed step for some cpus is wrong. This is due to how it reads the temp and not the t-junction. if your cpu has a 100c tjunction speed step is off by 15c and can be corrected with an offset of 15c in the config options.

speedfanvm7.gif

Speedstep before the 15 offset. no way its that cool.
speed is 2.93 vcore is stock 1.225 i think

There was no one publishing an overclock over 2.4 for a long wile. If some of the review sites have since built systems that clock higher that may be the case. Personally I would not be interested in clocking any 2.4 processor to 3.7. It would be quite an accompolishment for a member of this forum to achieve 3.7 stable with their q6600. More power to them is my thoughts. I would buy the qx6850 before I would pay for the necessary components to get from 2.4 to 3.7.

Nukemaster. Nice temps! Looks a lot my q6600. (I love to snicker) BTW I have several other cpu temp monitors I use and I have no problem whatsoever with system temps. I couldn't be happier with my temps.

When you are standing in line money in one hand new hard drive in the other waiting to pay. LOL. I don't know the mfg. specs on individual hard drives. I know the simple fan coolers I use keep my drives cool enough.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Pick a fight? If anyone picked a fight, it was you. I even went back and re-read all of my posts to see if they could in some way come off as offensive, aggressive, contained any of the "slurs" you have accused me of, or as you said I have, picked a fight with you, as none of which were my intent. After re-reading the whole thread, I have done none of it. Please point out one "slur" I have called you? Please even show me where I called you a liar? If pointing out evidence contradicting a point you make is calling you a liar, I suggest you learn to take criticism better. I never once suggested I knew anything about anything, I just provided statistics and facts for which I have seen with my own eyes. I'll be the first to admit I am still new to this and have a lot to learn.

Re-reading the thread, I appear to myself at least, to be coming off polite and respectful in my first post before you attacked me with "There is no way you know what you are doing as far as building systems"; and aggressive and insulting statement to say the least, with absolutely no knowledge of me at all. Then, after responding with a quote you gave someone else in this thread, you reply with "You obviously are naive and have no clue what you are doing with a Q6600." Yet another aggressive, baseless, and unnecessary comment.

So it appears to me that I have not been aggressive, demeaning, or out of line at all, and if any of my posts came off that way, I apologize as this was not how I intended them to. But you have been nothing but rude, so if you want to bring the moderators in, then be my guest. Anyone can see what you have said. Post count means nothing, there is no reason to lash out at the first sign of someone giving you evidence against something you have said, and there is no reason to be rude.

I think we have dragged this thread off topic too much as it is, so I will leave this be here on out. I apologize to the OP for the distraction.

gooman

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007

I was just doing a bit of research about the Quads as I have one being delivered shortly. Haven't build a system for a while, so I figured I'd educate myself. The necessary components in the case of the the guy with the 3.7 Ghz OC was a $70 aftermarket cooler. He lapped the bottom of the heat sink. That's short money and short effort in my book. Gotta admit...that's pretty impressive stuff. Just goes to point out that the Q6600 does not have a heat problem. He and others are able to do some nice OCs with proper cooling.

That XtremeTiramisu post also has some interesting information of how the temps are reported. Not all programs have been updated for the Quads and do indeed report 15C low. If you don't have a Quad, it's not an issue.

Obviously, that dude is into OCing big time and is pretty extreme. I plan on a moderate OC to 3.0 or 3.2 with a lapped Tuniq Tower 120. It should be fun.

Seagate used to list operating temps on their website but I can't find them any more, if memory serves correct between 5c & 55c was considered normal/safe.

gooman

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
Badge...

I have to agree with abrahm....your way out of line. I have been reading your posts a laughin pretty good. I figured I wouldn't spiin you up any more than you are, but man.....take a chill pill.

Nobody is slammin anybody except YOU...Nobody is insulting anybody except YOU.

Besides being totally defensive and rude, what point is it your trying to make?

I again totally agree with what is being recommended to you...remove the chip on your shoulder and reread the thread please.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007

Is that 3.7 the guy that was in the thread I posted a link to? If not I'm assuming that he is using a G0 stepping.

Well, I have been tinkering around with OCing my G0 today, and wasn't having much success. It seems as though Core 2 and 3 are able to handle it but Core 0 and 1 aren't. I tried a fairly modest(imo) 333 fsb and on stock voltage, core 2 and 3 didn't have any issues, but core 1 and 0 were having rounding errors within the first 15 seconds. eventually I had the voltage up at 1.308 and I had it going stable at 333 fsb(3.0ghz) but my temps got too hot for my liking so I stopped it. Temps on the 0 and 1 got up to 69* and 2 and 3 got up to 62. Again it seems as though 2 and 3 handle OCing much better then 0 and 1. Infact I have yet to have an Orthos stop on 2 and 3 yet, only 1 and 0.

Now those temps are pretty high for a low overclock, but I don't have a top of the line cooler(arcitic freezer 7 pro), and it is fairly hot in my room. I'm going to take my comp down to my basement where it is easily 20* F cooler and retry it.

Currently I have it running at 300 fsb at 1.29v I believe and I'm an hour into Orthos with no errors and a steady 63* on my hottest core with 61, 57 and 57 on the other 3.

p.s. Thank you gooman, I'm glad its not just me that sees it.

gooman

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007

Yeah...that's the exact link I was looking for. I posted before I read everything on this thread (rookie mistake). It was a GO stepped Q6600 he was using.

My GO is in the mail. I honestly don't know what to expect when OCing the thing. Looking at what you have done so far, one thing I'd mention is your case airflow. You have plenty of airflow through your case? That can have a big impact on any possible OC ability. That's interesting about 2 cores OCing well and the other 2 not. Who knows, maybe that dude in the XtremeSystems Forum got the golden CPU that can OC to rediculous levels. We'll be chasing his results till we're :pt1cable:

DELETED

This is an open forum, and no one person may tell another not to post here. Everyone is allowed to post regardless of whether their opinions are right or wrong, as long as they dont violate the TOS.

As to correcting incorrect opinions, that is one of the purposes of a forum....converse, disagree, debate...with logic and facts, not personal attacks. Personel attacks will get bans.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007

Heh yeah I have good case flow. I have one 120mm front fan, three 80mm side fans, and one 60mm side fan blowing in, and I have one 120mm blowhole(top of case), and two 80mm back fans blowing out, along with the psu and gpu card blowing air out as well. But again my room is hot(furthest from the AC, its always hot). When I get a little further along in my packing, Ill move my comp downstairs and tell you how the temps differ.

My GO is in the mail.

hahahahahahah! You better hire someone to install it for you. hahahahahahahahahaha! No Jim Carey didn't just walk in! LOL! :hello:

I think we have dragged this thread off topic too much as it is, so I will leave this be here on out. I apologize to the OP for the distraction

You have to be kidding?

gooman

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007

Sounds like you have pretty good airflow. Good luck!

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005

55?
Well I guess I'm fine then. Speedfan showed one of my 4 hard drives as 50C but I got worried because it showed a flame next to the temp.

gooman

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
If you think I'd even stoop to your level and click on that link...your outa your mind....Good Luck Badge....I feel for ya