Q6600 B3 steppings => temp's too hot?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Well gooman, I turned C1E back on and redid the orthos test with the same settings, and now core 0 and core 3 are the hot cores(like they were before I overclocked at all), both at 62* while core 1 and 2 are the cool ones, running at 57* each. Interesting indeed...

Well 50c is starting to get on the toasty side and although I have had HDD's reading as much as 62c I would recommend to people to stay below the 50c mark if at all possible.

vylo

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
I just notice the post with 18 fans. You sir no longer have a computer. You have a wind tunnel with a processor :p.

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007

Those are what my Q6600's core temps were yesterday, with a constant 5~10% cpu load. Room temp was 79~81F. Mobo sensor read 39-42C. Running at 2.8GHz.

I had some major problems earlier with heat. I was pissed. Even at stock speeds, 100% load took my core temps up to 85C. Bought a zalman 9500, and it laughed at it. Made no difference at all. My best solution was to lap the cpu. This has had a greater effect than upgrading from stock hsf. Yes I do believe that a stock hsf + a lapped cpu will get you a nice cool cpu with a decent 25% overclock. I haven't tried putting my stock hsf back on the cpu after I did the lapping. But I'm betting it will run just fine, since before lapping there was no difference between it and the zalman.

Oh, one other thing I did different is I used a new tube of AS5. I have an old tube, but the new one seems like it is different! My old AS-5 is more silvery than this new stuff. Who knows if that matters at all.

vylo

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Eh, I get by fine with 3 fans and a QX6700.

I mean, more power to you, but that's a lot of overkill. Of course it is evident this is your hobby, so overkill is to be expected.

You are quite confrontational in this thread. Some of it is quite warranted, as you are pretty knowledgable, and people are sniping at you while knowing little to nothing of your set up. But others have simply been reasonably doubtful of your claims, not knowing the extremes of your particular system, and really you can't blame someone for not taking into account that someone might have 20 + fans in their case. Nearly all my friends are comp sci majors with custom machines and none of them have done something quite like that.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Penryn will be far too expensive for the average budget builder at first, so the Q6600 is quite perfect for now. And penryn wasn't out last week, so it didn't quite beat my Q6600 to my door, and as far as I have seen won't be out until the end of the year, or closer to it. As for your other derogatory comments, I won't amuse you.

Spidubic

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
So let me get this straight. The core temps are more accurate that the CPU temp? The core is what I should be using to gauge my temps?
I have a Q6600 with what I consider high temps.
Idle
Core 1 - 45
Core 2 - 42
Core 3 - 44
Core 4 - 41

Gaming
Core 1 - 58
Core 2 - 51
Core 3 - 55
Core 4 - 52

This is using the stock heatsink. I was using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro that had kept my last two CPUs quite cool but on my Q6600 it was idling at 61 with a gaming load of 78-85. Needless to say theat is too high. :ouch:

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007

It doesn't really matter how many fans he has in his system, fans do not cool air, they only blow ambient air into his machine. His claims of 26* cores on air are a little unbelievable, no matter how many fans he has, unless he lives in an igloo. Coupled with the fact that he is using speedfan, which reads temperatures on quad cores 15* lower then what they are, that makes his real temperatures in the range of 41*C. Since he claims he is aware of this inaccuracy, he probably shouldn't go around boasting his false temperatures.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007

Was the arctic freezer 7 pro seated properly? That is what I'm using now, and my temperatures are almost identical to yours at idle, except I'm running at 2.7ghz with 1.29vcore in a hot room. The AF7P should cool much better then the stock heat sink and fan.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Look what I "accidently" did.

3.2 ghz with 1.32vcore. coretemps are 37,33,34, 36. Or if you want Speedfan temps, they are 22,18,19,21. Boy thats cold for being overclocked .6 ghz.

btw I moved my computer to my basement, and my idle temps dropped 12* C each with my 2.7ghz clock.

gooman

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007

Nice...that's a significant improvement. Keep it up...I'm gonna keep learning from you. I live in a cool climate, so I can usually just open my window and cool the room nicely. I think the Q6600 will heat the room nicely too ;)

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007

Yeah I didn't keep it there along. Once again though, while I was up that high, Orthos would run fine on core 2 and 3 but wouldn't run for more then 10 seconds on core 0 and 1... I'm wondering if I have a bad chip or something...

If you want to use speedfan then just add the 15c offset. speedfan does not know about the 100c t-junction so it goes 85 - what the cpu gives it to get the temp it needs to go 100- temp cpu reports.
speedfanqn3.gif

example:

my cpu 0 is at 50c(folding) as we speak. How does the cpu report this? it tells the software i am 50 away from my tj so the software gets the tj(thermal junction) and goes
tj 100
-----
so it tells you your cpu0 is @ 50c

Now get speedfan. it does not know how to get tj, but it did not need to as all cpus where 85 when that update came out. so it just goes. Hey cpu how close am i to tj and the cpu says 50 away. So speedfan does the same thing but with 85(as this is all it knows)

tj 85
-----
so speedfan says cpu0 is @ 35c. This is NOT TRUE.
so add the offset and never listen to MB software.

Only add the 15c to 100c tj cpus, and make sure your tell speedfan to remember it with the check box

I hope this makes sense to all. and please correct any mistakes you see(i type fast and grammatically errory if thats a word :) ).

Edited for more correct terms

Spidubic

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Yes abrahm the Freezer 7 Pro was only contacting 1/3 of the CPU causing the high temps. Weird part is it had kept the previous two CPU's very cool. Not sure what I did in removing it the last time to cause it to not set properly.

Speedfan. So to get the right temp you add 15? If I do that then when the Freezer 7 Pro was on before and I was gaming the 85 was actually 100? It ran my game fine for an hour running at 79 which ends up being 94. Can't be right. At that temp the CPU should have at least started throttling back or shut down completely. Going to need to investigate some more.

i was wondering why your link went to the same thread...:)

Intel's stock heatsink is hard to get on right(so i hear i still have 2 a box :) ). Always replace the thermal compound every time you re seat.

50c is allot better then 70+ so your on the right path.