Q6600 B3 steppings => temp's too hot?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RayRay24

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Thanks for the thread link randomizer. Including that one I've read several threads now with people reporting high idle temps with the Q6600. I'm thinking it has to do with my HSF at this point, so I'll just try to reseat again.

Odd thing is that my temps are about 20 degrees higher than the problem temps people are reporting.

noisyninja

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
RayRay24, most users are also using aftermarket HSF units ... are you? I am having temps in the 40-50C idle range but I've seen users with similar cooling units as mine hit 30-40C range. Maybe we'll figure this one out.

randomizer

Champion
Make sure the thing is seated nice and tight. It makes a big difference in temps if theres nowhere for the heat to go. Judging by the huge difference in temps between cores 0/1 and cores 2/3 either you have something running on two cores for some reason or you have the thing seated on an angle that is biased towards the cores 0/1

EDIT: I mean biased towards cores 2/3 sorry.

RayRay24

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
I'm just using the stock HSF. I'm going to try to reseat the HSF once more, and the update the BIOS. Beyond that, I'm stumped.

RayRay24

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Some minor success here... Following your advice randomizer, I tried to make it as flat and tight as possible. My four cores are now hovering around 50C each.

Now I have the problem the majority of others are having b/c 50C is idle is still too high I believe.

Perhaps it should be tighter? I'll be back.

Thanks for all the help guys.

randomizer

Champion
Whats the situation of the thermal paste? It should be replaced each time you reseat the cooler (or at the very least every two times if you give it a nice twist to remove air bubbles)

It should be a VERY thin layer, and not some thick gunk that provides bullet proof protection but burns up the chip. Of course, dont make it so thin so that there is no contact (which if the cooler is tight enough, shouldnt happen anyway)

RayRay24

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Judging by the fact that I have reseated the HSF about 5 times , I'm assuming I have to replace the thermal paste. I don't think any extra comes with the stock Q6600, so I have to buy some.

Suggestions?

randomizer

Champion
This forum screws up links if they go over one line, its so annoying. Anyway, heres a list of good thermal pastes from best in the test to worst in the test (but still semi-decent)

RayRay24

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Judging by your help randomizer, I'm guessing you know a bit about overclocking. What HSF do you recommend if I do decide to overclock? I have this list http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=3005&p=4,
but just wondering from your experience.

randomizer

Champion
After checking out that anandtech thread, I agree somewhat about the PSU. Looking at your system, that PSU is going to underpower it. Its a decent PSU, but its not very powerful. I would be looking at replacing that too. This Corsair PSU is great for that system.

EDIT: DONT overclock unless you get a new PSU thats for sure :p

RayRay24

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
I figured that too, and I realize how important it is to have a good power supply. It is getting a little on the expensive side for my new comp, but I damn I love this new build. Too bad I didn't get the G0 stepping, though :(

randomizer

Champion
Well, I haven't used fancy coolers for OCing coz I got no money for them. The cooler I'm using for my s939 system was cheap but its pretty decent. From that article, you can easily see how the big ones generally keep the cpu cooler especially under load. Tuniq tower is popular, but people always seem to have issues getting that thing mounted. Thermalright ultra 120 extreme is pretty nice, even the non-extreme (which is about $10 cheaper) does awesomely.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006

I solved my issue by adding a 120mm fan to the side window of my case. I found out that opening up the side panel to my case lowered all my temps by 10C!!!! After putting the 120mm on, that solved the problem.

It sounds like you have an overall case airflow issue...

That's great. Five big stars for you. A case with an open mesh front as opposed to a case with a closed front works great too. Take out some of the PCI shields in the back as well as remove the 5.25 bay covers in the front to allow more adequate airflow. Remove the side panel completely and your temps will drop considerably. With the components some of you are using with your 4 core processors and multiple HD systems, you can take the side cover off your case and put a house fan blowing in the side of the case to cool it. Also a case with the PSU held in a completely seperate compartment helps immesurably to keep a system cool.

My case has a seperate psu compartement and I use 11 120 mm fans. In all I have a bout 20 fans in my system. Use 80mm to 120mm fan adapters and get 120 mm fans in your case where you can.

I recently found this triple fan works well getting airlow to your RAM and the center of your MB. I use it to cool one of the hottest MB ever made. ASUS A8N32-SLI dual NB chipset. It lowered my system temps by 2 to 3 C.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835704001

This is my case. Move your PSU out of your case and use 11 120mm fans and see what happens to your temps.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133025

11 120 mm case fans
3 hard drive coolers with 5 40mm fans total
1 VGA card cooler with 2 60 mm fans
1 80mm exhaust fan in the PSU housing area.

That's 18 fanss

Zalman 9500 LED HSF 92mm.
Thermaltake 700 watt toughpower quad 12v rail 2 x 92mm (i think)
EVGA 7900 GTP 512 MB Fan.

That's 18 plus 4 = 22 fans in my case. There may be more. I expect my second Corsir RAM cooler tomorrow, but I don't need it in this box. That's 3 more fans.

LOL. :hello:

I pulled this giant system out from under the desk. had to put my desk on blocks to fit it under. I didn't have time to take detailed (better) pics, but you can see how the case is divided into 4 seperate chambers. The MB is housed in one chamber as well as the optical and hard drives above and the PSU is in the other side in the bottom compartment. It's a quad compartment setup. The fourth compartment is for a second mini system. The heat from my HD's and PSU do not effect the MB at ALL! I have to say this case is SO heavy I don't particularily care for it. But it is the coolest running case I have ever owned by far.

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/8728/img0036mb9.jpg