Q6600 B3 steppings => temp's too hot?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
LOL. My wife is doctor. Here is a great shot of the Corsir 3 fan RAM cooler I installed on my son's gaming rig last week. Notice ALL THE FANS!!~! Ha! The A8n32-SLI is a bear to cool. I have tried everything. I am going to remove the 5.25 empty front bays next time I have it down. Notice the two 7800Gt's in SLI. The processor is an AMD 4800 X2 socket 939. The case is a Lian Li. I have a huge headace with airfow fitting everything in the case. A new psu with 22/24 amps on the 12 v rails helped power this system and settle it down a LOT!

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9340/img0037ql5.jpg

I have never sold a computer. I have so a lot of systems I have built just sitting around. Last week, one of the girls who works for us asked me to build five exact computers for her aunt's new company. I'm working on it. I suggested she buy 5 prebilt systems and then I would help her selecting and instaling some graphics cards and monitors. WE'll see what she does. Yeah, that SLI rig still makes for some great graphics even with two 7800gts. I have an ASUS A8n-SLI with two 7600gt's I use at work. I'm not a gamer, but great graphics comes in handy for a lot of things. Burned up my PC4000 Crucial Ballistic overvolting it with my FX55 last week. Acturally, I switched out the PSU and left the overclock/overvolt on? Hmmmm. Came up with a burnt up DIMM. Have to RMA to Crucial tomorrow.

In a pinch for money, I once wired a voltage regulator from a 64 Chevy to my Harley. It worked. I guess my early experiences with wiring techniques have a special place in my heart. Wish I could get better at tidy wiring.

Nice! Great wiring. I almost bought one of those Corsair 620's last week. Ended up not spending that much. Swapped out my 500w coolermaster for a 535 watt Enermax yesterday in my office computer. I was getting random crashes since I put the Coolermaster in a few weeks ago. Turned out to be a bad DIMM. I wonder if leaving the overclock/overvolt on when I swapped out the PSU cooked my Crucial Ballistic?

Thank you, the main reason for choosing the Corsair was that of the 600w-650w PSU's that I looked at it was the only one with a five year warranty where all the others had three at the most coupled with the fact of having seen a Corsair representative floating about on the forum's under the guise of XMS Yellowbeard I thought I'd try one out and it's been fine so I bought another last week for my latest rig.

The Crucial Ballistix I have found to be fast and stable but not too happy about having too many volts shoved through it, but I'm running 4x512mb and I wonder whether this is just a peculiarity with the mobo which is an Abit AN8 32x.

I have seen that clear acrylic case set up at Fry's Electronics to show off system builds. Looks nice. I run 4 x 512 PC4000 500 MHZ DDR Crucial ballistic in my ASUS A8N-SLI FX-55 939. The RAM is super as far as performance goes. I would buy it again. The rig was fine for many months. Then I needed the 680 watt PSU in there. Si I swapped it out a few weeks ago for a 500 watt Coolermaster. I left the FX-55 overclocked to 2.8 + with an overvolt on the RAM from 2.8 (mfg. spec) to 2.9 volt. I started getting randowm system crashes soon after. I brought the system home last night and took out the Coolermaster 500w. I installed an Enermax 535w and ran memtest86. Bad DIMM. Removed one 512 x 2 kit and all is well. I sent Crucial an email request yesterday for RMA. I've RMA'd with Crucial before with no problems. I'll have to call them tomorrow if I don't get a response to my email request.

Next time I swap out a PSU I am going to default the BIOS beforehand if the system has any overclock/overvolt applied.

I could put up pictures of my 450 MHZ. Pentium III. It's the most quiet system I have. It has an 80mm exhaust fan and the wiring is top notch.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007

Read this... http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/214785-hey-slacr-go-higher-q6600-g0-2.html

And if your using speedfan for those temps, add 15* to them. There is no way your cores are idling at ambient. Speedfan is known to report quad core temps at 15* below what they are. I believe this is because they use 85* instead of 100* for the temperature constant. Hell speedfan is telling me my cores are idling at 25*, 21*, 20*, and 24*, where its atleast 25* in my room. All other programs I'm using, RMclock, Coretemp, say 15* above what speedfan reports, generally 42*, 39*,39*, 40*. Its a known issue with speedfan and quad cores.

vylo

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
What should I use to remove the thermal paste? I used the one that comes with the Zalman 9700, but recently it got knocked loose and I have to reseat it.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Personally I dont see much point of going over 3ghz with a Q6600, 3.2ghx max if there not much heat difference.

Performance is a small gap in the last few hundred mhz but heat isnt. Doesnt appeal to me.

20od case fans is nice! Too bad I dont like your choice of case much :p

Until i buy a new one soon, im stuck with some case taht I dont know the name of. Aint bad though, about to buy a pack of 4value fans and a fan controller, has 3x 120mm fan slots on it, should keep things a bit cooler!

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Unfortunatly the ultra120extreme is absolutly enourmous.. I consider its size to be quite.. stupid.. gets the job done though.

Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 is the one to go for :D or Freezer Pro 64

There is no way your cores are idling at ambient.

Who said they were. As far as you trying to call me a liar, you have never seen my system. Speedfan's capabilities have already been explained in detail in this thread. Go back and read. Read the threads before you post in the future.

All other programs I'm using, RMclock, Coretemp, say 15* above what speedfan reports, generally 42*, 39*,39*, 40*.

The system you are using is not the system I am using. There is no way you know what you are doing as far as building systems. Obviously.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007

Where in my entire post did I call you a liar? Where did I say I had the exact same system as you? And as far as I saw, you never acknowledged speedfans errors when someone else pointed it out. I was simply A) showing you someone who had there quad overclocked to higher then 3.2 after you called someone a liar that said it could be done, and B) showing you that speedfan's temperatures are around 15* lower on quads then every other programs readings, no matter what system you have. If you are aware of speedfans lower temps then don't go around boasting about how cool your system and your quad runs and then give speedfan temps.

What I can't figure out is why you become so defensive and take a "You know nothing, don't question me" attitude whenever anyone points something out to you. My simple reply giving you a little info about what I have seen and observed was met with nothing but aggression. Good luck with that attitude.

So I'm assuming your system is running at 3.65 GHZ? Correct.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007

I usually refer to myself as "Someone who". :sarcastic: I posted a link of someone who gave great details of their overclocking experience with the Q6600 and got it above 3.6. You had said earlier that you hadn't seen any evidence that it could go above 3.2 or 3.4. Well there is you evidence. Obviously not me. Or I can just give one of your canned responses... "Go back and read the thread"

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
My Q6600 (B3) runs around 39-44 idle with a room temp of about 18-22. In my opinion this is rather warm…. But certainly there is nothing wrong with the processor.

DELETED