q6600 hotter than it should be?

superman099

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
I've been trying to overclock my q6600 with the Gigabyte P35-S3L mobo. I got the Arctic freezer 7 HSF and arctic Silver 5 thermal Paste. I've followed the instructions for both perfectly. However, I can't seem to get my idle temps lower than the mid 40s Celcius. This is the same when the cover is off or on the case. I have it blowing the hot air out the back helped by a 120mm Fan. Also, the room is air conditioned and cool. I'm not sure what Else I can do. Most people with the same setup report idle temps in the low 30s and even high 20s celcius even when overclocked. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great, Thanks.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Do you have any background processes running (SETI/F@H/antivirus...)?
Have you tried flashing the BIOS to the latest version?
Are those temperatures CoreTemp/cpuid HWMonitor or OEM tools?
Are EIST and C1E enabled?

babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Your CPU HSF and Heatsink may be both very concave, cause very poor contact between the two. You can google how to check the extreme of the concaveness with a box cutter raiser. If thats the case, you can lap them (though it voids the warranty). Lapping both my CPU and Heatsink dropped my Q6600 temps on average 4-11 degrees celcius (depending on load versus idle, load seeing a bigger drop in temperature).

PS. Are you overclocking at all?

superman099

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
First of all it is GO stepping and I dont believe I have any non-necessary processes running in the background...but I haven't flashed the bios to the latest version, i think i might try doing that. those temperatures were from Core Temp. Eist and C1E are disabled....also I just reset the HSF and CPU, i cleaned them both really thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and I also added 2 fans to the front of the case for intake...the result with that is Core Temp : Core 0: 40 Core 1: 34 Core2: 34 Core 3:40 (what do I call the average for that? and why do they range so much?) ....does that seem more resonable, i also applied new arctic silver 5 so I guess that has to "burn in" as well....the problem is that I've seen these temps before but they always seem to go up for some reason. And no at the moment Im not overclocking at all, however, I have before. I just want to get control of my temps before I overclock...i really would like to run a stable 3.2ghz...THanks for your replies!

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Okey since you disabled C1E and EIST your chip is always running "full throttle". At that point your idle temperatures of 40°C-34°C-34°C-40°C are not half bad. The "average" for that would be 40°C - highest core matters most. My idle at 6x333MHz (wC1E/EIST) spread is 28°C-34°C so no worries here unless it bothers you.

AS5 needs ~200hours to "cure". So leave it a bit of time, allowing it to cool to room temperature(shutting down the PC over night) several times in that 200hour period.

With HW Monitor you should see an ITE sensor chip with two TMPINx sensors. One of them is the Tcase for the CPU (with my DS3P it's TMPIN1).
You can figure out which by launching the "maximum heat" Prime95 Torture test and watching which TMPINx rises the fastest.

superman099

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
ok thanks for the advice I appreciate the reply...so do you think I should wait for the AS5 to burn in before I attempt to overclock? I have been shutting my computer off at night, i had read about making sure to turn of the computer over the burn in period.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Basicly as long as your Prime95 load temperatures are below 65°C-70°C in CoreTemp you can overclock right away. The chip is "speced" at upto 71°C Tcase so if Tcase is under 65°C you are safe.

That being said mind your temperatures. If they decrease over the next week that's a good sign. With overclocking that might be difficult so I would wait (but run Prime95 about one hour a night to see if the load temperatures decrease at all).

Good luck.

superman099

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
i appreciate the advice a ton...do you think that 3.2ghz stable is a reasonable goal...with the temperatures im getting right now?

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
That's hard to say. The idle temperatures are close to meaningless in estimating how high you can overclock. That being said I think it is a reasonable goal but every system is different. Trial and error.

My temperatures don't increase at all when going from :
3.0 (9x333MHz) to 3.3 (9x367MHz) and 54°C max vs 55°C max after 24h of Prime95

3.2 (8x400MHz) however is a different story. My CPU temps drop to 50°C max after 24h Prime95 but my NB temp jums from 41°C to 45°C and I have to raise FSB and (G)MCHvoltages over stock.
400MHz FSB is also cause for some strange issues but I encountered no Prime95 instabilities.

superman099

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
Hmm well the temps are back up again...im not sure why it keeps doing this, after i reseat the HSF everytime, the numbers go down for a while and instead of getting better over time they get worse and worse last time they started at high 30s and ended up idling at 50c...why could this be, the numbers now are about 3c more than last time i checked and nothing has changed

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Maybe the pushpins on your ACF7 are to blame. With time they loose the ability to firmly hold the HSF in place. If you repeatedly mounted the HSF several times that's very likely. Check if they have moved and try reinserting them without taking off the cooler.

If the above is the case you should invest in a new backplate, screws and springs mounted HSF.