q6600 new revision?

Nica Guy

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
hey when i open cpuz i read stepping B revision G0, did i get the new or the old version of the q6600?
also, another question, i got 3.0ghz with only 1.25v but there are 2 options involving cpu voltages in my bios
so im confused should i change CPU VIT Voltage?, which is 1.25v or,
should i change CPU VID Special Add?, which is Auto.
i have doubt about this becasue when i look at my core voltages at CPUZ they show 1.28v core voltage and sometimes goes down to 1.266v,
so it doesnt show the same voltage as in my bios, and why is it changing if i dont have my voltages on auto?

thank you in advance...

Nica Guy

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
also, i started OC'ing with 1.31v and my max temp with prime 2nd option of stresstesting was 56 degrees celsius, now with 0.06 volts less my max temp is 55 degrees celsius max... shouldnt it be lower?

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
G0 is the new revision of the Q6600. you have the better stepping, so don't worry

when you used CPUZ and your voltage dropped...it is due to something called vdroop. when a cpu is under stress, the voltage drops a bit lower. especially when you're doing something like prime95.

that is why vdroop is so important to take into consideration when you're OC-ing, that's why its so necessary to prime95 because even though your computer might seem stable under normal conditions, when it's under stress vdroop can occur and if the voltage drops quite a bit below the stable operating condition, the computer will become unstable and can BSOD.

randomizer

Champion

On an unrelated note, since the OPs questions have been answered for now, does anyone know why CPU-Z reports the stepping in the "Revision" field, and something else in the "Stepping" field?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I mentioned, when the G0 came out, that it appeared it was really a G0 stepping not revision. No one addressed it.

This is pulled from Sisoft Sandra
Name : C2QX (Kentsfield) Core 2 Quad 65nm 2.0-3.33GHz 1.0375-1.3V
Revision/Stepping : F / B (0)
Stepping Mask : G0
So it's not an error of CPU-Z. I just gave up on the issue, it is what it is.

For more information on this I have a link to the processor page and a screen shot.

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600 - SLACR

yoriu.jpg

I also found the PDF on my HD, that I couldn't locate on Intel's site. The file was dated 7/30/2007, I'm surprised it made it to the new machine. Now that I have the change notification number I can find it quickly. So, here is the pertinent information and the link.

PCN107463-00.pdf
Minimal re-qualification and/or validation is expected for the G-0 stepping conversion due to no feature set
changes between the B-3 and G-0 steppings.

Stepping... revision... a rose by any other name...

randomizer

Champion
It seems to happen with every chip. My E6600 is apparently a Revision B2, but that is the stepping AFAIK (at least according to the processorfinder). It's like they've got the two backwards :lol:

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
See the edit to my post, I think you will find it illuminating.

It appears that Intel and the programs that read the data off the chip have it right. The rest of the world has it wrong.

At least I hope that is the way it works, since Intel made them. :lol:

Maybe it's the revision of the CPU to the G0 stepping? Aahh, could be.

Nica Guy

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
should i change CPU VIT Voltage?
suossedly i dont have to change it but unless i do windows doesnt boot up, the computer restarts over and over again... i change that to 1.31v so my processor is prime stable at 3.2ghz.
Any clue someone, what can that be?
i read in another article that that is not the vcore, i have a dfi x48 mobo
and the only other option it gives me is CPI Vid Special Add, which i have in Auto.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I think you mean VTT. I don't think you need to raise VTT at that speed, but I could be wrong, I'm certainly no OC guru by any stretch. Your Vcore is pretty low so I would up it first, before I started messing with VTT and associated GTL voltages. It can get a little convoluted.

I found this thread relating to a DFI mobo that has a couple links in it should you decide to mess with VTT.

CPU : Vcore,VTT and GTLREF question - XtremeSystems Forums

And here is another.

DFI P35 LP GTL Tables Explained - The Tech Repository Forums

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Just like the window says, small FFTs stress the CPU to the max, large FFTs stress the RAM to the max and blend blends the two. For max heat and load on the CPU use small FFTs. I'd run small FFTs and then one, or both if you want, of the other two for a more thorough test.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
try going for 12+ hours just to make sure. i've done a couple OC and tested for 6 hours without an error only to find the system unstable a week or two later. :T

Nica Guy

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
ok cool ill do that...
i just found out that vdroop was what got me confused... i turned it off...
CPU VIT Voltage is the voltage limit i want to set for my cpu, very handfull
and the way my mobo works is that you dont change the VID, theres an option CPU Vid Special Add and i set my voltage adding that to the vcore.
Does all that make sense? im kind of new on this...

Dewald aka ++ICSU++Hasie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Ag come on people.
Revision is what version of the CPU you got.
The stepping is Intels speed step. so if you have a E6420 like I do the speed stepping is 6. Because at full speed it runs at x8 and at idle it goes to x6.
Funny how easy that was hey.

Dewald aka ++ICSU++Hasie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
of subject lol.
I have OCed my E6420 to 3Ghz.
I know it can go to 3.2 but I like 3.
lol. And its like being in heaven all over again.:)
ON air this is. it went from 8978 to 10608 3dmark score.
And cod4 I barely maxed the 85 now I am running at 140-200fps.:)
Killing is so fun. I wish the v-sync could work on 200 though caus its realy glitchy with that off.:) but then they would have to make the ideal fps for the game 200.
HAHA wouldn't that be fun.

randomizer

Champion

Stepping has nothing to do with Speed Step. I don't have a B2 multiplier, do you?