Q6600 + newb + CoreTemp

ofstephan

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
I am fairly new to computer hardware and I built my very first rig for Christmas. I am using CoreTemp to monitor my cpu (q6600 @ stock speeds w/ Zalman 9700 blue led version and Artic SIlver 5 compound) and have introduced this program to a few of my friends. One of my friends has an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core Processor oc'd to 2.7 ghz and his coretemp reads 14c. he has a stock heat sink on it. Either he is lying, or there is some setting or tweak that I don't know about. Basically, i am worried that maybe CoreTemp is wrong about my settings. Any thoughts? What do you guys use to monitor your processor? Thanks in advance.

bob8701

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
what is your temp on loading?
does your pc reboot or cpu overheat? if your answer is no, then what are you worry about? Spend more time on gaming and less time to worry about nothing

sumlock

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
Haha! A slightly less than helpful answer from bob there!

I also have the Q6600 and the Zalman 9700 LED overclocked to 3.00ghz.
So I know for a fact you have nothing to worry about temp wise.

The best thing to do is download the Everest Ultimate trial (or warez if your naughty) and check your temps from there.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?ps=UE&lang=en

As an indicator, I am getting the following:

CPU 19oC
MB 39oC

Those temps are based on idle in windows using Everest Ultimate.

I am not using the included fanmate speed controller than came with the Zalman, which means the fan is directly plugged into the motherboard. This ups the voltage and means the fan spins faster but is also louder. My MB does all the speed adjusting depending on temp and load.

I also have 2 120mm fans in my case, and Im using the chipset cooler that came with my MB and a cooler for my ram.

Needless to say, it isn't a silent machine. But I've got it all on a controller and just lower of raise the fan speed as I wish.

To be honest, I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. The Zalman 9700 is an excellent cooler.

Normally I use the included ASUS PC Probe II software, it just sits at the top of my screen, and doesn't get in the way of anything.

I'm sure you will have recieved similar software on your MB driver disc. What brand of MB do you have?

PlasticSashimi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I don't know about both of your temps....seems oddly low...not that that's bad obviously

I have q6600 as well and a Zalman 9500, OC, but I did tons of temperature research before I got it in the mail and most people's Idle temps are in the mid 30s....some as higher....lowest like mid 20s

do either of you know your core voltage....

@sumlock...

I don't believe the zalmans actually regulate their speed off of the mobo...

I found that in the documentation...basically the zalmans have a 3 pin wire....I bet your chipset has a 4 pin socket right....well if you got the stock cooler for the chip I think then the mobo would regulate it via the 4 pin switch.

You'll find that most aftermarket coolers have 3 pin leeds...
Your fan is just at top speed all the time without the fan mate thing.
If you watch it you'll notice it doesn't throttle with your CPU temp....it just stays on....
This got annoying for me in the end so I installed the stupid fan mate thing. I usually keep it up for rendering or gaming, and just turn it all the way down (1300 rpm or so) if going to be gone for a while or I'm just web browsing.

benzene

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Sumlok - unless you live in an igloo I doubt that your Q6600 is idling at 19*C which is likely to be below the ambient temperature in your room - take computronix advice and read his most excellent guide.

Also, as pointed out already, the Zalman fan speed can only be altered via the fan mate (at least that's how mine works), however I never need to turn mine up past the minimum, but then the E6600 aint quite as hot as the Q6600

lobofanina

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007

http://www.texloc.com/closet/cl_cel_fah_chart.html
19 degrees Celsius = 66.2 degrees Fahrenheit

benzene

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007

I know how hot 19*C is, I live in the UK - what is your point??

Average room temperature is around 20*C, his mobo is at 39*C so I fail to see how his Q6600, clocked at 3Ghz can be idling at 19*C unless, that is, he's in an igloo ;)

lobofanina

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
i don't think you understand temperature comparisons very well at all if you confuse 20 degrees Celsius(room temperature) with -7 degrees Celsius, the temperature inside of an Igloo.

If that q6600 was idling inside of igloo it would most likely would be in the negative degree(s) Celsius range.

benzene

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
I don't think you understand CPU cooling very well if you believe that this guy has a Q6600 running at 3Ghz and 19*C in an average temperature room on air cooling alone.

If he were in an igloo with an ambient temperature of anywhere between 5*C -15*C then I would expect that he may be seeing temperatures of around 19*C at idle.

"To confirm the plausibility of the combined heat balance equation, other values for the outside temperature were examined. For outside temperatures of –30ºC and –50ºC, the solutions to the equation are 10ºC and 2ºC, respectively, still relatively comfortable compared to the exterior."

found here:
www.iop.org/EJ/mmedia/0031-9120/38/3/605/Model details.doc

...a thesis and formula to calculate the temperature and thermal behaviour inside an igloo.
Surprisingly warm ;)

PlasticSashimi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

lol,

yeah a CPU idling @ 3ghz @ below freezing....I'm sorry that's just silly

(ok quick edit to cover my a**, i've seen liquid nitrogen test setups with a P4 running -180c on load, wow)

listen to benzene...he was just making a joke (some people don't comprehend humor well) about the igloo.

Basically your temps are off probably by the usual 15 degree step because of your mismatched Tjmax setting

that would put your cpu at 34c Idle, still nice and low, but possible depending on your core volts

Mine Idles around 38-41c @ 3.3 ghz

Unless of course you have tiny natives huddled around it fanning it with frozen palm branches...then it would probably be Idling at like -273c :)

lobofanina

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007

Actually it not silly, air cooling can cool down a processor to close to ambient temperature. In a room with -7 degrees Celsius temperatures like Benzene quipped -0 degrees Celsius idle processor temperatures are well within reason.

PlasticSashimi, since your reading comprehension skills are obviously quite off considering you think I'm the OP maybe you can let Benzene fight his own losing battles and you could pick up a remedial English book.

PlasticSashimi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

at least I was answering the guys question instead pouncing on an igloo comment...

and cursory "reading comprehension" and a visit to CoreTemp's site would yield this info

-----
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/supportlist.html
-----

clearly shows CoreTemp supports all of AMD's chips....so If you're trying to help someone (like I am) you could start by

A) not telling them incorrect information and
B) not hijacking their thread to opine about unrealistic -7c computing environments

benzene

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007

If you take the time to read Computronix excellent guide you will indeed see his recipe for getting your CPU to idle at about 1*C above ambient - it is accomplished by underclocking the CPU to 1.6Ghz, taking off the side panels of the box, turning off all but the most vital processes, disconnecting from the internet, setting Vcore to 1.25v and ensuring all fans blow at 100%.

If you also read the link I posted above you will see that the temperature you can expect inside an igloo when the external temperature is -20*C will be around 10*C (with one inhabitant) - so with the PC in the idle state as defined above you may well see its temps at 11*C. At no point did I suggest that the room was at -7*C.

In more usual circumstances i.e. a slight overvolt and 3Ghz overclock, side panels on you can expect a best case scenario for a Q6600 of about 10-15*C above ambient. So in our igloo we should be idling somewhere around 20-25*C.

Q.E.D.

t.b.h. I didn't mean to get into a discourse on the internal temperature of igloos and the resultant effect on the temperatures of an idling Q6600 housed within said icy abode, I merely meant to point out that Sumlock's reported temperature is out of whack .... unless of course he is an innuit.

benzene

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
^^ No problem...and good on ya m8 ;)

And to the OP...I don't think you have anything to worry about, also the new Beta of speedfan seems to correctly read the temps of the Q6600 right off the bat.

bozobytes

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Hey guys.. :bounce:
I also have a Q6600 with a Zalman 9700 on a MSI Platinum board I just put in because the Intel stock fan ran HOT as you can see by the readings...Do they look kool to you?
Thanks!

BEFORE >
Tj MAX 100c
CORE 0 = 58c
CORE 1 = 56c
CORE 2 = 49c
CORE 3 = 48c
CORE 2 = 26c
CORE 3 = 27c

bozobytes

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Hey guys.. :bounce:
I also have a Q6600 with a Zalman 9700 on a MSI Platinum board I just put in because the Intel stock fan ran HOT as you can see by the readings...Do they look kool to you? I am not overclocking.
Thanks!

BEFORE >
Tj MAX 100c
CORE 0 = 58c
CORE 1 = 56c
CORE 2 = 49c
CORE 3 = 48c
CORE 2 = 26c
CORE 3 = 27c

PlasticSashimi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
@bozobytes

Those temps look great...you could easily try at least a mild OC

There's an interesting phenomenon I'd like to point out here...see how your cores 0 and 1 are hotter by 5c or so.

That's the enormous zalman heatsink's weight...gravity pulls it down and creates more preassure and thus better heat transfer on the 2 cores that are physically lower on the chip. The bracket is like a lever for the gravity. Not a problem by any means, but it's relevant.

and @ lobofanina

I'm glad we could come out of this not looking like kids bickering on a playground...thanks for the acknowledgment.

Andydigital

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
@sumlock...

I don't believe the zalmans actually regulate their speed off of the mobo...

I found that in the documentation...basically the zalmans have a 3 pin wire....I bet your chipset has a 4 pin socket right....well if you got the stock cooler for the chip I think then the mobo would regulate it via the 4 pin switch.

You'll find that most aftermarket coolers have 3 pin leeds...
Your fan is just at top speed all the time without the fan mate thing.
If you watch it you'll notice it doesn't throttle with your CPU temp....it just stays on....

All that waffle and you are still wrong. He never said the Zalman regulates its speed, he said the motherboard regulates the speed of the fan. Asus motherboards have something called Q-Fan 2 it automatically controls the speed of all fans connected to the motherboard headers, all headers are 3 pin not 4. It's the old 2 pin fans that cant be speed controlled as they don't have the third speed sensing wire.

I tried my Zalman 9700 without the Fanmate-2 connected at first but it was a bit too noisy for my liking when the motherboard ramped the speed's up, so i put the Fanmate-2 back in line and set it at about 50% and now its always silent and temps are only 1-2C warmer.