q6600 overclock bad idea?

Sep 13, 2018
so my friend have q6600 based system with 4gigs of ddr3 ram a digilite motherboard running a gt 710 with a 10$ psu 450w . i gave him my old r7 250 (working fine) as he just plays league Dota or games like paladins.after adding the r7 the system had random shut down due to cpu overheating.he applied thermal paste to it and now everything works fine. can you guys pls tell me why the cpu overheated when he added a r7 270 which require only 450w of power while his gt 710 was working fine and why thermal paste fixed this problem. Also now he wants to overclock the cpu is this a bad idea?

Solution
More likely the Gt710 was holding back the Q6600, so it was working as hard, now you have a mor epowerful GPU, CPU has to keep up with it.
With the age of the Q6600, new thermal paste is a good idea anyway and a quick clean of the fans, overclocking to 3ghz is easily reached even on cheaper boards if you have good enough case cooling, although a cheap $10 PSU is asking for trouble.
Sep 13, 2018
he didn't knock off the cpu cooler. i advised him on that he said the cpu cooler was working fine. when he put his 710 back in the cpu wasnt overheating and shutting down u see. and then he applied new thermal paste and now the r7 is working fine with it.

More likely the Gt710 was holding back the Q6600, so it was working as hard, now you have a mor epowerful GPU, CPU has to keep up with it.
With the age of the Q6600, new thermal paste is a good idea anyway and a quick clean of the fans, overclocking to 3ghz is easily reached even on cheaper boards if you have good enough case cooling, although a cheap $10 PSU is asking for trouble.

Solution