Q6600 overclocking - not sure what cooling to get for approx. 3ghz

jaderon

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
So basically my computer heats my room approximately 15 degrees when operating.
The sources of heat are video cards and CPU (Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4ghz)
Getting better VGA cooling so that's taken care of.

Also looking for better cooling - thing is, i also want to overclock to somewhere in the 2.8-3.0 ghz range.
The real problem is i want a CPU cooler that will not only prevent my room from heating up, but will do that while handling the heat of overclocking.

Any suggestions? (Looking at arctic freezer 7 pro at the moment)

blaze85

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
All air coolers will raise the ambient temperature somewhat. That is because they are just moving the hot air away from the source and into the room. At 3ghz heat isn't a huge problem anyways. i've heard of people using stock cooling at that speed. The Xigmatek SDT1283 is one of the best performing air coolers right now. A water cooling system still dissipates heat from the radiator

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Pretty much the only way to not affect the ambient temperature is to use a 'lower than ambient' cooling technology. Your choices would be phase change or LN2, both of which are expensive and tricky to install/use (and LN2 is not practical for use).

G

Stock

As people have said... in any kind of cooling even water cooling... heat is just moved away from the heat source... it never just disappears... even in very expensive phase cooling... the heat doesn't just disappear

x_2fast4u_x

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
^+1

Air cooling will do fine. Also don't measure your cooling needs by hertz, measure by the Vcore you plan on using. This is because a 45nm core will produce a lot less heat at 3ghz then a 65nm core at 3ghz, this is because the 65nm is less efficient then the 45nm less efficiency=more volts used. the more volts used=more heat made. so that's your physics lesson today =P.

When overclocking theoretically there is no extra heat made, the heat is from the Vcore bumping its self up untill it can make its self stable.

i would say i run 62degrees Celsius under a 1.5vcore not i run at 62degrees Celsius at 3.01ghz.

Check the Max Vcore for your CPU online then set it to that set your FSB untill you can no longer be stable check your temps if they are to high lower core voltage. rinse and repat untill you have a STABLE overclock.

Test with Prime95 or OCCT for 8+hours. after about 10-30min of running 100% you should find your max temp. i dont suggest going over 80 degrees Celsius for benchmarking OC, no higer then 75+ for daily use.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
The ACF7P should do fine for cooling a Q6600 at 3ghz. The only way to cool your room is with an air conditioner or open the window on a cool day. Basic thermodynamics.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I don't know why you would want something that would lower the amount of heat your computer produces right now, IT'S WINTER! I know my computer is keeping my room at a more comfortable level than any other room in the house, which is kind've nice considering the fact that the fireplace is on the opposite side of the house and won't do much for me.

TRENDING THREADS