Q6600 overheating problem

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Hi all, I was surfing the fora and I thought it would be a good idea to squeeze more performance out of my Q6600. Overall my system is very stable and I am running Win 7 64 bit RTM, without using many CPU hungry applications (though getting my system to work at higher clock speeds is not a bad thing either :p )

So, I decided to run some preliminary tests to see how my system behaves

System info:
CPU Q6600 @ stock speed (2.4GHz) G0
CPU cooler -> stock CPU cooler
Motherboard Gigabyte EP45-DS4
Case: Sharkoon Rebel 9 Value with the following fans installed:
1x 120 mm fan at the front
1x 250 mm side panel fan
1x 120 mm fan at the back side

After 13 minutes of CPU stress using Prime95 64 bit (balanced test) I had the following readings (using Real Temp and CPUID and hardware monitor):
Temperature sensor Idle 46C (114F) After load 83C (181F)
Core #1 Idle 48C (118F) After load 89C (192F)
Core #2 Idle 48C (118F) After load 89C (192F)
Core #3 Idle 45C (113F) After load 87C (188F)
Core #4 Idle 47C (116F) After load 87C (188F)
Stock fan speed Idle 1339 RPM After load 2020 RPM

I am pretty sure that I installed the stock fan properly but I didn't apply any additional thermo cream.

A thing that troubles me is that although I have these massive fans in my case they didn't run any faster while my CPU was struggling to cope... (they run really silently and I can see their potential only the instant I power on my computer)

I tried to make the fans run faster but I didn't find any option in the Bios nor does the motherboard return any data on their operation to monitor software I used.

1) Should I change the stock CPU fan, is anyone else having problems?
2) How can I control the big case fans, and is this going to make any difference?

PS: Room Temperature is 28C

Load temps are much too high.

Whenever you remove a CPU heatsink, you need to always clean off the old thermal compound and apply new stuff.

The stock heatsinks that come with the 65 nm Intel CPU's are pretty good. They are generally good enough to cool the CPU at 3.0 GHz.

If the case fans plug into the motherboard, it can control and monitor them. If they plug into the PSU, unless you add a fan controller, there's nothing that you can do except make sure they have power.

In addition to making sure that the heatsink is properly mounted, I would recommend going into the BIOS and setting CPU temperature warning to 70 C. and setting the CPU fan failure warning. You can find these settings in the PC Health section of the BIOS.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Thank you for the responses/interest

@sportsfanboy i am pretty sure i heard the nasty *click* sounds when i was pushing the heatsink do you suggest I apply more force to lock it better? The motherboard near the socket was bending really hard and I was afraid to push it more. I did what the manual said word by word.

@jsc Thank you for the advice, I think that I have to figure out the problem first because if I set the warning to 70C right now, I will drive the motherboard crazy :p You are right I checked the fans and they are connected to the PSU so it is only logical that I get no readings and I have no control over them in the BIOS. I am thinking of buying AKASA AK-FC-06-BK BLACK FAN CONTROLLER JUNIOR to control them but I have to check if the fans have a 3-pin connector

How can I check that the heatsink is properly mounted?

TRENDING THREADS