gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Well that all depends. First off you need to get a few programs to understand what you are looking at. First, get CPU-Z. This program will let you know which stepping revision you have. If it is the G0 stepping and you are using an aftermarket heatsink then you do have a problem. You also want to get coretemp 0.96.1. This program is extremely accurate on detecting temps. If you read up on their site intel and amd finally gave them the correct formula to find the temps apparently. Anyhow, I just finished doing a Q6600 build with a Zalman 9700 aftermarket heatsink and used arctic silver 5 thermal paste and the temps are around 19-24 at idle and around low 40s under full load on all 4 cores with prime95 running all night. So yeah your temps sound a bit high, however, if you have the stock heatsink/fan and have the thermal paste that came on that HSF then temps are going to be higher. Also, if it is B2 stepping then it will be hotter. I think B3 and G0 are similar, however, go is going to run cooler.

Anyways man good luck with everything. When you build find the stepping that you want. ClubIT is great for giving you stepping specific processors for around the same price as Newegg gives non stepping specific processors. This means with the Egg you have no idea what you are getting. Might get gold, might get poop. Never know. Anyways, good luck.

will31

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I also just installed a Q6600 about 45mins ago. I have it OC'ed @3.01 and it idles at 19-22c so and gets around 38-40c under load so these are pretty similar to gahleon. I am using an ASUS Silent Knight II cooler seems to be working pretty well. I have the G0 stepping. So yours does seem a bit high???

Rohmaan

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Ok I have the G0 stepping, and I ran coretemp its showing my temp at 42C im also running the stock heatsink so im gonna pick up a Zalman 9700.

PlasticSashimi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Download the program "coretemp" its the easiest way to find out your q6600s real temps. 40c under load....especially for an overclocked CPU does not sound correct.

@Rohmaan what's your cooling solution, and how much thermal compound did u use.

PlasticSashimi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
42c sound about right for stock cooling...rohmaan.

You really only need better cooling if you're going to OC...which is kind of a no brainer with a q6600...

that zalman will get you to around 3.4 easy in my opinion.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Trust me the temps are correct under load. First off as I said it isn't stock cooling under load that I am attaining the around 40C temps, it is with a zalman 9700. The CPU is at stock speeds as of right now. It is perfectly normal for this stepping to have low temps and those temps are right under prime 95. Anyways, as the dude above said check out the tomshardware guide! Toms PWNS!

PlasticSashimi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

Was just a bit of confusion I think

G0 stepping + zalman 9700 + stock 2.4ghz = your temps on load

sounds accurate to me

Rohmaan

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Im running stock cooling

PlasticSashimi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Well those temps are a bit on the uncomfortable side...but nothing too dangerous in the short term.

My advice is to keep "Intel Speed Step" or whatever CPU throttling is available in your BIOS activated and don't overclock your CPU (at least just yet).

Spend 40-50 bucks and get a decent third party cooler for your CPU sometime in the near future and then you'll be set.

You could try to re-seat the CPU, but honestly I'd just wait to do that until I got the better cooler, since doing that is a bit of a pain.

What voltage are you running to the chip? If it's @ stock speeds you might be able to reduce the voltage and thus the heat.

Rohmaan

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
I re-seat the CPU, and heatsink its making good contact nothings blocking the fan my voltage is 1.176.

PlasticSashimi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Well the voltage is low if anything...so that can't be the source of the heat. The Q6600 is just a hot CPU so it's no wonder that it gets in the 70c range with the stock heatsink....

(I ran prime95 on my work comp, dual Quad Xeon chips, and they made it to the mid 80s in under 2 mins)

If you don't plan to overclock...you'd probably be fine....but 50 bucks is not too much for peace of mind and a nice overclock.

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
At stock voltages with no overclocking and it being idle depending on the room temperature are all the variables.

if your room is 70 degrees, you have good airflow through the case and its at idle with no overclock and stock voltages yes that is high. However its not in any sort of danger because i've seen mine go over 70c without any sort of stability problems. Granted that is at a high overclock on voltage and fsb and it had prime 95 running with 4 cores on small ftp.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

You need to spend more time in the OC section.

A) 71.4C is the Intel Max Spec for a Q6600 (Tcase).
B) Cores run at a dT of 10+/-3C of the Tcase.
C) Saying "it's running at xx Degrees" means nothing without saying what sensor it is.

I *HEAVILY* advise the OP to read the guide posted by Computronix. It is very informative.

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006

19c is your idle temp, that is 66 degrees f? What is the temp in the room its kept in? That is one thing that has to be considered here. The temp of the cpu will never go below what the temp is in the room, now add in a computer case that is cramped full of heat generating components, your system temps are definitely not normal or even average. You must have your computer in a room that doesn't have heat in the winter.

If someone keeps their computer in a room that is 75 degrees and has a computer that isn't all that well ventilated, its going to idle warm, no matter what.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

What about active heat rejection?

My room is normally 22-24C, my CPU idles at 25-26C.

TRENDING THREADS