Q6600 VID Mod Not Working

RyBurger77

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
I did a VID mot to go from 1.325v to 1.375v, but when I check the voltage, it still says 1.325v on both HWinfo and Aida64. I tried using prime95 to see if it would use all of the voltage, but it still didn't change. I used a nickel conductive pen and made sure to only connect the two pins. Any help is appreciated.

Link to conductive pen: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYAA814/

EDIT: Computer now seems to be shutting down randomly, but the fans still go. I had a feeling this was a PSU issue, but when i checked with a calculator, it seems to be borderline enough wattage (takes 300w, needs 350w).

EDIT 2: nevermind, my power supply is actually 280w. I guess I found the answer.

Solution
I only ran TS with an unlocked CPU. I knew it "controlled" VID on all of them. In options on the 2nd page there is an option to not reset VID on close. Is that selected? Maybe the lock unlock was for multiplier on my unlocked CPUs. I don't have a computer with TS here right now to try it. If it doesn't work then it will have to be VID mods. You might try insulating between your foil strip and the CPU with tape, This will break the old pad connection inside the CPU, and let your new one replace it. The MB might be reading through the foil and seeing both connections.
For the VID mod. Check the map for your existing VID layout, and try to find a voltage that changes just one "jumper".

RyBurger77

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

Yes, I already did a bsel mod and it worked, but it was pretty unstable. 30 seconds in prime95 would give a bsod. After I did this, it seemed pretty stable, but I only did about 5 minutes of prime just to check.

The problem with conductive pen is they form an insulating layer. You're modding the CPU but actually you're trying to spoof the MB pins. Try metal tape. Or try Throttlestop software from TechPowerUp. Set and save volts in Windows. Look at the link in my sig. The whole OC is TS software driven.

RyBurger77

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

Ok, I'll try some aluminium foil + super glue when I get the chance

I've already tried throttlestop and it didn't work

RyBurger77

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

I thought that throttlestop only worked for the core 2 extreme processors. Anyway, when I get the chance I'll try it again.

RyBurger77

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Ok, so i just did the mod to go to 1.375 and it went really slow. I put it up to 1.35 and it worked after loading into windows, but checking the voltage with aida64 says 1.325. I downloaded a tool called Astra that boots to system info, and that said 1.34. The only thing that I can think of is that the vdroop puts it down to 1.34 and windows forces that back down to 1.325.

EDIT: I also tried throttlestop and it doesn't let me turn up the VID.

EDIT 2: Went on Aida64 to fpu stress it to see if it was stable, and windows crashed about 2 minutes in. Temps got to about 75c max.

RyBurger77

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

Where are the lock/unlock options? It only lets me undervolt and not overvolt.

I only ran TS with an unlocked CPU. I knew it "controlled" VID on all of them. In options on the 2nd page there is an option to not reset VID on close. Is that selected? Maybe the lock unlock was for multiplier on my unlocked CPUs. I don't have a computer with TS here right now to try it. If it doesn't work then it will have to be VID mods. You might try insulating between your foil strip and the CPU with tape, This will break the old pad connection inside the CPU, and let your new one replace it. The MB might be reading through the foil and seeing both connections.
For the VID mod. Check the map for your existing VID layout, and try to find a voltage that changes just one "jumper".

Solution