Q6600 voltage required to boot ?

s60_user

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Hi there ! I would like to know if my Q6600 G0 underclocked to 1.8 GHz @ 1V will be able to start up after i shut down the system ? It's absolutely stable by the way (of course).
To put it in another way: do I need to set the Vcore >1.10V or is 1.10V a fixed value for Vcc_boot that can't be changed and is used at startup ?

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
You should be fine, based on Intel's spec, you can go as low as .85v, before it will not boot.

**EDIT, let me rephrase myself. I could be wrong.

The 1.1v required to boot is supplied by the VRM from the motherboard. After motherboard boot and powers the CPU, the CPU will cycle through it's VID to come to the one that is set for it. If it is too low, or too high, it will shut down.

So in essence, when we change the vcore, we are changing the default VID.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
It's absolutely stable by the way (of course).
While I can not confirm what flyin15sec said about 1.1v as I haven't read the datasheet myself, as long as you can boot with the current 1.0v being set in BIOS you're using and is stable under Windows as you've reported it to be then I don't see there's a problem.

A few extreme overclocking orientated motherboard do allow you to change Vcc_boot to much higher values for the purpose at booting much higher clocks, but for your purpose more Vcc_boot (an instantaneous voltage) than required will not restrict what you're trying to achieve.