[SOLVED] Q6600 vs 2400/2500/3450/3570

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Hello everyone
As by the tittle, i want to know how much performance difference is between these new CPUs and my Old Q6600 clocked at 2.9ghz. (My old Cpu is dying day by day from an unknown issue so i have to reduce the overclock after time ,it was 2.99 ghz before.)
Anyway.
How much performance will i gain when upgrading?
which one is best bet?
which one is best for gaming ,emulation and rendering?
Should i upgrade to these or wait for a better Cpu?
I have something like 80-100$ range budget .
Please Answer all of my questions above
Thankss 🙂

Solution
Theres no doubt that the i5 3570 is the fastest one, specially compared to your current CPU.
Between the 3570 vs 3450 there should be a slightly increase in performance from the 3570 (after all it has higher base and boost clock), in some games it may be the diference between decent/playable vs horrible.

Also to get the best performance if you can make sure the "new" second hand system have at least 2x4GB DDR3 memory sticks, for dual channel memory then the better (for the i5 3xxx, DDR3 1600MHz is very welcome).
But keep in mind that dual channel configuration is more important than the DDR3 speed.

As to wiat for a better CPU, theres no need to wait, there are tons of better CPU already in the market, but I think I understand what...
Hello everyone
As by the tittle, i want to know how much performance difference is between these new CPUs and my Old Q6600 clocked at 2.9ghz. (My old Cpu is dying day by day from an unknown issue so i have to reduce the overclock after time ,it was 2.99 ghz before.)
Anyway.
How much performance will i gain when upgrading?
which one is best bet?
which one is best for gaming ,emulation and rendering?
Should i upgrade to these or wait for a better Cpu?
I have something like 80-100$ range budget .
Please Answer all of my questions above
Thankss 🙂
While none will allows you to play recent games, the 3570 is the fastest of those.

Reactions: JackFive
Mar 22, 2020
Hmm .... How are you do this without compatible socket & RAM? Your old CPU this is LGA775 + DDDR2, but the new CPU from LGA1155 and DDR3 .... I'm don't understand how doing this as 80-100$ and why you ignore another sockets with CPU .... ?

p.s. I'm use low cost PC and upgrade recently, but do't understand this ...

None of those cpus are worth spending money on at this point...If you have no choice except to use one of them the 3570 is the only choice...but they don't use the same socket. The q6600 is a socket 775 cpu...the 3570 is a socket 1155 chip.

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
None of those cpus are worth spending money on at this point...If you have no choice except to use one of them the 3570 is the only choice...but they don't use the same socket. The q6600 is a socket 775 cpu...the 3570 is a socket 1155 chip.
Ofcourse i know they dont use the same socket q6600 is older that's why i PUT VS in the title and slash these models. i would buy a cheap second hand system dell that would get the job done,
My Question is which CPU of these I5s has better price/performance ratio?
Sorry Forgot to mention that i have a GTX 1050 2GB.

Theres no doubt that the i5 3570 is the fastest one, specially compared to your current CPU.
Between the 3570 vs 3450 there should be a slightly increase in performance from the 3570 (after all it has higher base and boost clock), in some games it may be the diference between decent/playable vs horrible.

Also to get the best performance if you can make sure the "new" second hand system have at least 2x4GB DDR3 memory sticks, for dual channel memory then the better (for the i5 3xxx, DDR3 1600MHz is very welcome).
But keep in mind that dual channel configuration is more important than the DDR3 speed.

As to wiat for a better CPU, theres no need to wait, there are tons of better CPU already in the market, but I think I understand what you meant, if you wana wait for having the budget for a better CPU, well thats something only you can answer. How bad/soon do you need the higher performance?

In this second hand market, any Core i7 3xxx/4xxx/6xxx will be a better bet, cause they had HT enable (so you go from a 4 cores 4 threads core i5, to a 4 cores / 8 threads core i7) thats a huge step in performance for all the tasks that you listed.

I know this is not what youre asking for but just to give you an idea, for a brand new system heres an example of what I would do:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($125.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($47.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($44.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $409.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-03 08:50 EDT-0400

You can make the brand new system cheaper by going with a Ryzen 5 1600AF which usually sells on Amazon for less than U$90 (https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processo...1&keywords=ryzen+1600af&qid=1585918430&sr=8-1), is a rebranded R5 2600, same CPU, just a really tinny performance diference 1~2% at the most.
Also swap the PSU for a cheaper model (not modular or semi modular like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xD...nze-certified-atx-power-supply-100-br-0450-k1).
You could skip the HDD and save $45, if you have one already.
The rest of the components are the less expensive and decent ones I could find.

I hope it helps,
Cheers!

Last edited:
Solution

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019

As to wiat for a better CPU, theres no need to wait, there are tons of better CPU already in the market, but I think I understand what you meant, if you wana wait for having the budget for a better CPU, well thats something only you can answer. How bad/soon do you need the higher performance?

In this second hand market, any Core i7 3xxx/4xxx/6xxx will be a better bet, cause they had HT enable (so you go from a 4 cores 4 threads core i5, to a 4 cores / 8 threads core i7) thats a huge step in performance for all the tasks that you listed.

I know this is not what youre asking for but just to give you an idea, for a brand new system heres an example of what I would do:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($125.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($47.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($44.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $409.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-03 08:50 EDT-0400

You can make the brand new system cheaper by going with a Ryzen 5 1600AF (usually sells on Amazon for less than U$90 (https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processo...1&keywords=ryzen+1600af&qid=1585918430&sr=8-1), is a rebranded R5 2600, same CPU, just a really tinny perofrmance diference 1~2% at the most.
Also swap the PSU for a cheaper model (not modular or semi modular like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xD...nze-certified-atx-power-supply-100-br-0450-k1).
You could skip the HDD and save $45, if you have one already.
The rest of the components are the less expensive and decent ones I could find.

I hope it helps,
Cheers!

Alright thanks for the supporrtive answer :D
I'll be going with the 3570 then later on upgrade to a 3770 for a better performance .
Peace!

Mar 22, 2020
Ofcourse i know they dont use the same socket q6600 is older that's why i PUT VS in the title and slash these models. i would buy a cheap second hand system dell that would get the job done,
My Question is which CPU of these I5s has better price/performance ratio?
Sorry Forgot to mention that i have a GTX 1050 2GB.
I' use it and think that 2600k will be good:

2500k - 3976 points
3570 - 4873 points
3450 - 4500 points

3450 will be good result and not need pay more for some power append ... But I'm think that socket 1155 is not good and choose LGA 2011-3 for low price PC.

This is Xeon in Doom 2016 as 65$ for CPU + 65$ for Motherboard + 50$ minimum for memory ...

Last edited:

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
One thing that may be a cheap stopgap is to get a q9650 and overclock it like your q6600. It's a faster processor so you should be able to get a little more life out of your existing setup and save for a bigger upgrade.
Can i install it on my current system running older chipset which a q9650 is incompatible with?

I would definitely try the secondhand OptiPlex route to get a good value.

For example an optiplex 790 MT with an I5 2400+8gb ram+250gb HDD for only $58 plus shipping (around $20 for me).

I'm aware deals are different depending on location, but I wouldn't spend much on any LGA 775 system when the OptiPlex route exists. You may be able to get a good auction deal as well.

Just beware of the different sizes of OptiPlex systems. The "best" is the largest MT series that use standard hardware that is easily upgradeable. Adding a GPU and a better PSU if needed is very easy. You can even take the guts and move em to a nicer case if you wish.

If you find a well priced SFF system, you can go for it but just beware there may be some snags.

For example, I just picked up an Optiplex 7020 SFF with an i5 4590, LP R5 240, no HDD, and 8gb ram for $50 plus $20 shipping in an eBay auction. I am throwing it into a larger case with an RX570 and 600w EVGA plus adapter.

Here are some snags you may find with SFF however:
  • You have to swap to a larger case to use a normal profile GPU. If you swap cases, you will have to be creative with the PSU mounting as the SFF PSUs are very small.
  • Since the 24 pin connector is large, many of the SFF Optiplex systems opt to use an 8 pin instead. You may need to buy a $5-10 adapter to use the motherboard with an ATX PSU.
  • They use a laptop-style optical drive. If you wish to retain this if you swap cases, you will need to get creative with size

At the end of the day, an SFF PC plus a $9 adapter may cost you less or a similar amount to an OptiPlex MT with an older CPU, but it can be a pain.

Reactions: RodroX