Question Q6600 vs Q8400

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Hi,
Well kinda old cpus completely out of date and luck they both aged well.
Therefore im asking if i should replace my q6600 with a q8400 because im getting it for free from my friend.
So should i change it or not because i've heard cpu cache help it ...8vs4mb
or will it boost some fps in games like watch dogs 2 csgo battlefield 1 farcry 5 and some other old games ?
Kindly help me decide which one would be fine.
Thanks! :)
I've a 1050 2gb.
Note:I dont have money for PCs ATM..so please dont tell me to go for something new.

Probably just incompatible.

Was worth a try. OEMs like to lock down boards like this commonly.

I just bid on a q8400 on ebay. Ill try it in my dell lga775 g43 board.
I don't think so. His friend has an identical motherboard that the q8400 came from, so there's no reason it shouldn't work. Plus this series of Dell could take any lga775.

Also, I would research if another processor would work in your board before you just get a processor. Luckily due to the age of these systems just searching for 'MODEL_NO cpu upgrade' will bring you tons of good resources with answers.

Reactions: JackFive

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
I don't think so. His friend has an identical motherboard that the q8400 came from, so there's no reason it shouldn't work. Plus this series of Dell could take any lga775.

Also, I would research if another processor would work in your board before you just get a processor. Luckily due to the age of these systems just searching for 'MODEL_NO cpu upgrade' will bring you tons of good resources with answers.
Yes actually i figured out what was missing in my mobo was chipset required for Q8400 and mine is q35 and the PLL code in his pc is no where to be found on the internet spells something like K8124T23 not sure.
But he booted his pc without any problems,
Now i don't know why this thing isnt booting up in mine.

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
If you've got the q6600 up to 3ghz using setfsb, I think you're definitely exceeding the performance of the q8400.
What if that Q8400 would have been Overclocked as well?
And about those instructions to run newer games are still missing.Any way to get rid of them ?
Atleast Farcry 5?

I don't think the q8400 could oc like the q6600.

Why not? Its new with 45nm tech which produces much less heat.
SetFSB was a very nice tool but unfortunately it was discontinued, I used it to OC my Q9550 HP Workstation from 2.8 to 3.4Ghz using stock voltage, it also overclocked the RAM.

I am not buying property PCs anymore since my budget now allows me to buy new quality components.

Very few CPUs benefit much from the tape mod. It can even destroy clocks of some.

So you may never be able to oc the 8400 in that board.
He can OC with SetFSB tool. I got a 600Mhz overclock from a Q9550 HP workstation using it. It overclocks the bus so CPU and RAM are overclocked together.

It won't overclock very much because it doesn't give voltage control and is dependent on the RAM.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: JackFive

TRENDING THREADS