Q6600 with GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R

drpcken

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I just built this, installed Vista Ultimate... its running like a dream!

Here's the rundown:
Q6600
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler (with arctic silver 5)
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R
4 Gigs of CRUCIAL DDR2 533 MHz / PC2-4200
Nvidia 8800 GTX

I installed CoreTemp and when its idle, none of the cores ever get above 34c (always between 31-34c). When I play COD4 max settings the highest I've seen it hit is 50c (these are good temps right?). VID in CoreTemp reports 1.1625v, but this jumps up sometimes when I open an app or start a game. Frequency is 1600.06MHz (266.68 x 6.0) according to CoreTemp. All settings are factory, I hooked everything up and installed vista, no changes in the bios.

So where do I go from here? I'm not much into overclocking and don't really want to oc the chip, but can't it be optimized? I'm kind of new when it comes to these quad cores and voltages and such.

Again, cod4 and left 4 dead with max settings is the biggest ride its been on yet.

Looking forward to all your suggestions!!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

no good for a quad

get a xig and use alot of tc read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250728-28-xigmateck-thermalright-120mm-plastic-forgot

6 is fine under load it jumps to 9 - normal

your at stock speed toss that cooler and crank the fsb to 400
crank up the memory to 2.1v and cpu to 1.48v

make sure your temps are 45c in the bios - let run over night when you first install the cpu and leave it flat to allow the tc to flow into the xig cooler

install the mobo

crank the system up to 400sb in increments 300-330 etc

your ram is really low iife but if you manuall set the timmings to 6-6-6 then set them down to 5-5-5

and play around in the 350-400fsb you have a killer rig

as i wote 18 months ago:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244351-28-61ghz-1ghz

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

ya exactly spend $35 and get some good memory:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609218

make it $25 after rebate

this is my fav memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231145

gigabords have funky bios you got to guess if they do not have exact numbers for votlage - not sure if your mobo had that type of bios , not all have it this one has it but if has +1 and +2 for voltage you should add. i am running a G35 gigaboard or G33 i forget this thing is old

if you do: add +0.2v to the memory voltage

you may have to google how to set the memory latencys since they hid it in the p35 version of that mobo - i went to asus after that idiot move and did not use the p45 version.

you hit F3 and another key in the bios to get the memory screen out of hiding - so stupid

you base is 1.8-1.9v so +.2 = 2.0-2.1v .3 might burn up the memory then again it has lifetime warranty so hold on too the old stuff!

you need to get the q6600 up to 3.3ghz or so and your rip up vista and the games - many games use only 1 core and your system will run cool. the freezer is total junk its barely a step above the stock cpu cooler. although many people like for its price - but for quads is a terrible choice

4gb of memory is $35 just buy ddr800 4-4-4 if your memory does no work

3.6ghz is fsb 400 = ddr 800 at even 1:1 or 2:1 ratio - low 4-4-4 latenices give you good mem bandwidth of 6800-7200mhz

try 4-4-3-10 settings below 400 such as 385 and 2.1v even 2.15v

sometimes 2.05v is fine

your cpu needs 1.45 with cpuz under full load - p45 with load line cal or what ever gig calls it is 1.4875 usually around there. 1.44.-1.46

this not only worked 18 months ago it worked for 100's of systems we built and shipped at 3.6ghz

drpcken

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Ok wow :) Lots to take in. I'll order the new Xigma and new ram today, I kind of knew i skimped on the ram, but I can sell it easily.

Quick question, what will be the easiest way to get the old arctic silver off the chip? I know I can use some alcohol (right?) on the old cooler and get it off, but what about the actual chip?

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
You said in the original post that you dont want to overclock the chip. You wanted it to optimized, whatever that meant.

Optimizing we be undervolting I suppose. Getting the system stable with as little volts power as possbile.

You do not need a new cooler or paste. For somebody that doesnt want to overclock why would you adjust system hardware for a rather large overclock.

It sounds like your definition of optimizing the cpu falls more into the area of optimizing the OS or something.

Since you already ordered the ram. When its installed a simple overclock to 3ghz would be cake. Should hit it on stock volts. But you said the machine flys so i asumme you're happy with how it performs. So why overclock period?

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Since you don't want to overclock much or at all.
I think you need to look at a vista optimization guide.
Toms did one a while ago.
Turn off a bunch of services to increase performance.
A lot of people buy the Arctic Cooler 7 Pro because its very good at cooling and quiet.
Not because it is the absolute best at cooling without noise being a consideration.

I think a 266 FSB is correct for a q6600. The multiplier should be 8X not 6X. This is supposed to be a bug in CPUz that displays it wrong.

Go to My Computer general properties and look at what it says.
Being that the multiplier is locked I don't know how you could have accidently set it to 6X.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
he did not say he did not want too

he said or she, he is inclined not too

I'm not much into overclocking and don't really want to oc the chip

ovclocking it properly will not lower the life expectancy (normal users and normal product cycle) and will boost performance tremendously

even if the cpu dies in 3 years a q6600 will be $20 in 3 years and the system will be much much faster!

i think change my name to "my pushy overlocking"

drpcken

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Sorry to confuse everyone :) Not my intentions. I did say I wasn't interested in overclocking in the beginning, but that didn't mean I wouldn't be open to the option, especially after getting everythign put together. Thanks dragonsprayer for the comments.

If overclocking will give me a considerable performance boost (safely), I'm all for it. I may order the new RAM anyway because I regretted it after putting in the 533mhz. Will replacing the cooler give me a considerable temperature drop?

I haven't overclocked in years though, the last thing I remember overclocking was a 233 mhz pentium up to 400 by changing the voltage in the BIOS (never had to mess with RAM back then). I'm not weary of overclocking, but I think I've gotten the 'speed demon; after seeing how fast is already is and want more :)

I think I'll start by replacing the RAM, I've already promised I'd sell the 4 gig 533mhz to a buddy and I want to get the 1000mhz anyway, gotta be a good investment at only 40 bucks. I'm still on the fence about the cooler because I'd hate to think that it is not good for a quad core. I got the idea to buy that arctic cooler 7 from a Newegg review who said it worked great with the q6600.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
thank you! from: mr pushy overcocking!

since i make living selling only overclocked systems and come here and tell people how to do it for no charge.

years ago, it was top seceret then when i figured we got no credit for others borrowed from us i thought what the heck mights well just peeps hot to do it!

the messy instructions above will make you very happy when your gaming!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
biggest thing is intel overclocks its own cpu's why should you not do it?

intel sells cpus for mean failure rate of 10 years + at 100% 24/7 output --

if you use your system 12/7 and keep 5 years an ovclocking failure comes to zero

i am sure it is .000... something %

your basically trading 20% of the life of a cpu u never use for up to double the perforamce - you see 20% boost in some things sometimes much more - the computer is far more reponsive.

make sure you do a raid0

raid0 is better the single raptor

its easy!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
hard drives - peple are still using the same old hdd for systems that are 4 times faster years later. dual hdd in raid

i may be little too pushy - raid is easy - now a days you just configure it in the bios set it up and your done in 5 mins

raptor is sinomous with high speed drives fast seeking and reading hard drives -- most drives 7.2k rpm and read in 8-12ms vs a raptor is 10k rpm and 4-5ms read

just use spinpoint f1

too big is better - the less drive you use the better. i stick dual 500's in every system.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
3 or 4 pipe
look at them one says which is which - i would hate to tell you the wrong one but i go look at one myself...hold on

says acr 17751

double check : make sure you look at newegg - the info is there somewhere

drpcken

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Ok I've got everything. I even put the gskill ram in already, runs great.

Now for the cooler, isn't there a special installation method? Like put it on, run it for 10 hours (mb horizontal), remove and reapply?

Thanks again for everything!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
Gskil ram rocks!
i want to make sure you get it right, some coolers work better with very little thermal compound - but some of the best coolers only work with lots of thermal compound.

the thermalright, zigmatek and zero therm all need heavy amounts of compound due to dish shape or heat pipe gaps.

you should completely cover the cpu with thermal compound (TC) evenly by troweling it back and forth from center to edge.
then add a second amount of TC and spread it in a dime shape circle -this is not important the shaped.
what you doing is mounding it up in the middle and making sure it is spread every where so it wets and penetrates or fills (in the case of a dished hs like thermalright).

too much is way better then too little!

with the ZIG COOLER yes run it flat 24 hours and then install the mobo and run it in bios - this method has worked well for us.

heat and flat surface allows it to even out then when you turn it up the hs seems to "draw in" and get closer and temps drop.

you should see high temps that drop slightly over the 24 hour period and then drop significantly when installed and burned in at full out put.

typical is 44c bios idle to 38c after you done

i am really tired - email me agian and add more!

good luck!

remember to add 2 fans by zip tying! RULE #1: TOO MUCH IS MUCH BETTER THEN TOO LITTLE!

DSC_0158.jpg

drpcken

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Ok xig is installed, its now in the bios, case sitting horizontal. Right now the CPU Temp is 27c (been on less than 5 minutes).

What should I expect? Thanks!!!